Proud to announce a new hack I’ve created, titled Fire Emblem: Vision Quest . This is an FE8 hack built with FEBuilder.
We now have an official hack discord! Come join us here!
Want to include this section to provide more insight into my design choices. I’ve been an FE fan since FE7 hit the west. I knew of Fire Emblem through melee and immediately went to purchase the game after my friend showed me the game where “Marth uses an axe and Roy was mistranslated”. (For the record, the first chapter he showed me was New Resolve, and the first animation I remember is watching Guy crit-kill a monk. I was immediately intrigued).
Since then, I’ve played every mainline FE game. While I’ve enjoyed all of them to varying degrees, my favorites are FE3 (feels the most Fire Emblem-y of all the games, I’d say), FE5 (neat mechanics, Dalsin’s my favorite character in the series, and Leif is my favorite lord.), and FE9 (best cast, worldbuilding and writing). I got into emulation when I wanted to play FE6 in English, and then learned about rom-hacking through Tactics Universe (better known now as The Last Promise). I wanted to make my own hack since I learned you could do it, and used to mess around in Nightmare to change classes around. Once I learned of all the new things available to hackers in FE8 (which was untouched back in the day), I decided to dive in after writing up a script.
When it came to making a hack, I wanted to create a game that would be challenging and fun, while offering enough variance to (potentially) make each playthrough unique. I dislike the newer entries emphasis on skills, so I wanted to implement a more pared down skill system that added unit flavor without making anyone gamebreaking (ie there are no proc skills in this hack, while all foot units get shove). I also wanted to make effective weapons useful and enemies threatening, so I think (From my initial testing) that this game is more player phase focused on the whole, but I’ll leave that judgment up to you. I made common throwing weapons weaker and heavier so they’re less desirable to use, and gave swords more of a niche by creating a diverse array of effective swords.
From a story perspective, I wanted to make a story that deviated from the norm and focused on small scale events, similar to Thracia. I also wanted the central character to not be of noble birth (and not find out he’s a noble later on in the story, I promise). Additionally, while the story does touch on more serious topics, I tried to pepper in some humor and lighten things up. I hope that the story isn’t cringey and that you find it serviceable. (I promise the endgame boss is not controlled by a dragon)
The continent of Yaska is home to six nations, but the largest and most powerful is Nevan, an Empire composed of states that swear allegiance to the Emperor. In the rural state of Belaro, Lord Gradin, head of state, imposes cruel taxes on the people and jails those that cannot pay.
A young farmer, Storch, along with his hometown friends, fear the worst. Seeking to protect themselves and their families, they look to procure funds through less than savory means. Conflicted, the group begins their plunge into banditry in hopes for a better tomorrow.
- story set on a new continent.
- 12 playable chapters today, with 28 total planned. 18 to be playable in next release.
- Concept I’m temporarily calling ‘inverse branched promotions’ (ie There’s an unpromoted Axe Fighter and Bow Fighter class, then they promote into Warrior and gain the weapon they couldn’t use unpromoted.)
- Custom weapons (and rehashes of Kaga-era weapons)
- Early game Warp & Rescue shenanigans.
- Generic female enemies.
- Armor knights with 5 move. (because I want you to use them)
- All foot units get personal skill, an unpromoted class skill + promoted class skill. Mounted units get canto, unmounted units get shove (courtesy of Circles’ skill system)
- Stronger bows (and no 1 range BS).
- Fog of War (but not Thracia FOW, I promise.)
- FE5 style trading (SNES is SNEBEST)
- Tweaks to existing MIDIs using lots of woodwind instruments, including music from other video games outside of FE series.
- Escape maps with spooky bosses.
- DS style support bonuses (points are gained regardless of position on map, so long as they’re both deployed. Then they’re triggered through an in-battle conversation.)
- Part II release early Q1 2019
- World Map for the intro
- Script updates
- Bug fixes
- More music changes and retuning (pun intended)
Way down the road
- Part III (still a while away)
- More neat custom hackery that I am still learning how to do.
- Conditional events (get the main story done first, then add the polish)
- Upload new weapon icons
- More polish
- Boat maps
Patch Download and Instructions:
- You’ll need to use a UPS patching tool, such as NUPS.
- You can download the file here on Dropbox.
- Houses in 1-4 get destroyed when visited, can still get item however.
pandan - Project Lead
Author Pendragon - palettes and art
myst1p4nd4 - art
Spear Doggo - palettes and art
Zaim/Zmr - art
Credits (please correct me if this is wrong/inaccurate)
7743 for FEBuilder and willingness to provide technical support
Tequila for patches: Show Battle Stats w/ Anims off
Circles Everywhere: Skill system
Circles Everywhere: (and VBA team): Gaiden music MIDIs, among other things I can’t think of off the top of my head.
Klokinator for compiling the Animations Repository, made my life so much easier. There’s a few with credits, but most are uncredited, so apologies to those I missed.
NickT for his collection of free-to-use mugs
MK404 for FE10 Fighter battle animation
LG’s sprite freebies
Black Mage for Female Fighter
Temp for Female Warrior
The Blind Archer for Halberdier 2.0
Subbastian for Wyvern Axe Map Sprite
Sme for FE3 music rips and amazing MIDI -> GBA guide.
InvdrZim13 & Tequila for playtesting and sharing valuable feedback.
Alusq for the Armored Merc
Team SALVAGED for cavalier animations
And many more
How Can I Help?
- Download and play the game: I would love to get player feedback to see if there’s anything I can tweak. I want the game to be beatable playing Iron Man, but I also don’t want to create juggernauts. I’d love to see your endgame stats and get your feedback on overall unit viability and utility.
- Report bugs!
- Tips and advice - I am new to hacking and there are a lot of neat things out there that I do not know how to do yet. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Whether it be sprites, animations, maps, events, or general advice - it’s all welcome and incredibly appreciated.