[FE8] Fire Emblem: Tierra Maldita v1.1 [COMPLETE]

Nice! Send me your discord (mine is Keyv#9931) and we can work out details :slight_smile:

Mine is Quickdashattack#9111 oops your discord ID isnt workingā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s week 6 time.

Did some playtesting for ch 3, looking to rework that one a bit. Itā€™s a bit tricky getting some of the encounters right. Still will be needing to do some more playtesting though, so it will be some longer.

Thanks for holding on :pray:

3 Likes

Week 7
Iā€™m proud to announceā€¦

The release of chapters 2 and 3! :tada: :tada: :tada:

I hope you all enjoy it :smiley:

I have a few other announcements to make as we reach this milestone.

The next release will be for chapters 4, 5, and 6

The release after that will be the remaining chapters, concluding the story. Each release should be around 2-3 months of development (or sooner? More on this at the end).

There will likely be another release or so for bug fixes and adjustments from feedback, if fortunate enough to receive any. Also moving forward, I will be including a chapter select so you wonā€™t need to keep replaying the first chapters lol

For the next month, I will be focusing on some of the things around the game and some higher-level aspects of the game.

These things are:

• Writing up the rest of the story on a lower level
  • Concept work/art
  • (Maybe) Updating backgrounds, menus, and title screen

In addition to this, I will be working on doing some paintings, namely, full body compositions of all the hunters and cover art for the game (like a real GBA game :exploding_head: ). Below is one that I have already done for Wraith, to give you an idea. Hope you all like it! Iā€™ll updating the project page with these as well.

If you feel drawn to this project and would like to contribute, I would love your help!

Iā€™m confident in my own ability to complete what I have scoped out for this hack, but having assistance on asset work (map, animations, menus, etc.) and potentially some eventing, would mean a more quality product and faster delivery. At the very least, I can offer the prospect of a finished hack.
And again, if you want to test, thatā€™s always appreciated too :slight_smile:

For everyone following this hack, I appreciate you all very much :heart: !
Itā€™s encouraging to know that people are enjoying my work. Please do say hello! :wave:

Thatā€™s all for now. Stay safe out there!

8 Likes

Yo, So Iā€™ve played through chap 1-3 and wanted to share my thought!!

Pros:
-Custom animations and sprites are really cool, As a fan of just non-human like classes and sprites, it was really damn cool to have a brezerker lion headed guy in your starting squad. The custom CG Screen (is that the right word?) the brown ones, also help to add to the story.
-The lore is really deep even 3 chapters in, dialogue between characters are really good, And the early chapters sets up the world and story really well without going full exposition bomb mode. I especially like the origins of the world / hack name, itā€™s very clever.
-Difficulty is covered, you deal high damage but the low health of most characters means enemies also deal a lot of damage. Although this might not be a plus to everyone.

Cons:
So far the only con I have are the maps. Functionally they are serviceable, but aesthetically they need some work, it might do you some good to come down to the cartography channel in the feu discord, We have pros there that can help to make them more aesthetically pleasing.

A more minor point is the music. Custom music would further enhance the setting and feeling of the excellent writing, although I do understand that this is an early build so itā€™s understandable that there might be other aspects you might wanna focus on first.

Overall This has the making of a very good hack, especially story wise. Typically short hacks focus on gameplay like Storge and such. A story, lore heavier short hack has potential.

2 Likes

:sob: :sob: Thank you for the feedback!

Iā€™m very glad you like Leandros! You will be seeing more of him, maybe in a painting lol
I am super honored to hear that you like the dialogue and lore :smiley:

As for the maps, Iā€™m definitely going for function over aesthetics for now. Once the levels are all put together, I may do a pass to make them more aesthetic. And that being saidā€¦ thatā€™s not going to be for awhile hah.

And for the music, I am planning on composing and adding some custom tracks! So far I have the OP/main theme, a secret theme, and an ending theme planned. Iā€™ll likely be adding in some other tracks too, but not composed by me as they arenā€™t exactly easy to make haha.

2 Likes

no problem, Iā€™ll be watching out for the next update. Though if I may be so bold, you might wanna fix the map first before moving onwards, saves you from the effort down the line as youā€™d be surprised how much map layout effects gameplay as well as making it easier to develop the later maps more quickly and easily.

1 Like

Hmm alright Iā€™ll check it out!

1 Like

Another weekly update: Week 8!

Been busy with life stuff, so not too much to report. Been doing some writing, both the story and music! Think we should have scripts for the remaining chapters and a main theme song by next week :slight_smile:

Also still painting, should have something nice to look at next week too

Take care all :wave:

4 Likes

Take care too! Thank you for the update

1 Like

Week 9

Bad news, I got distracted so no painting today haha

The good news, I got distracted by doing music and writing! I finished composing and implemented (I need to figure out looping lol) the opening theme, a battle theme, and a secret theme. Additionally, I have decided to compose a map theme as well! Hopefully all of those will be in the game before ch4 :slight_smile: Excited for you all to hear it.

On the writing side, we have a first script for everything all the way up to ch. 6! I will be doing everything for the last chapter all at once since thatā€™ll be a more committed endeavor.

Also brought in a new face coming in ch. 4 all ready to go, anims and everything.

A slight update for the next release. I will be trying to time ch 4,5,6 with FEE3 and put in a submission, because hey why not?

Oke thatā€™s all for now. Take your vitamins :pill:

3 Likes

Week 10.5 (sorry Iā€™m late lol)

Full transparency, I waited on the update because I needed to finish the painting lol. Here it is

Egh life has gotten busy again. These paintings are taking longer and longer, not sure when that last one will show up lol. Anyway.

All the music is done and 100% implemented (with the exception of the last chapter song)! Looping and all. Feels good, so hype.

Not much left to update sadge.
Stay chillin villains :ice_cube:

5 Likes

Good job! It looks awesome

1 Like

Thankss :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Week 11

Even though I just did an update, I feel that I should do another one.

I have officially decided to submit this hack to FEE3 this year!

This means that I will need to shift around a few priorities.

• That last painting is going to have to be put on pause, or slow down at the very least. I wouldnā€™t hold your breath for it. The other things I had planned to design will need to be halted as well, so no new title screen or menus for now.
  • I am hoping to, at the least, release chapters 4, 5a, and 5b (oh btw, ch 5 is actually 2 chapters :)) and if we are lucky, chapter 6. Also a title screen.
  • Given that a chapter takes me like 3-4 weeks, and there are 2 months before final submissionā€¦ I need to start right away. Which meansā€¦

We are officially resuming development on the chapters!

Exciting times everyone.
Back on the grind :hammer:

5 Likes

Hey man Good luck with development, canā€™t wait to see the presentation!

4 Likes

:pray: :pray: :pray:
Thank you!
Itā€™s time to go hard :triumph: :muscle:

3 Likes

I just downloaded it and test it
-I donā€™t know why I start a new save file it allows me to choose between the three current chapters instead of start with the first one.
-I like the custom battle sprites , portraits , items , and scenes.

• I also like the story.
  • i would like to see custom menus or at least repalette them with the dark blue of their uniform. Btw I love the uniforms.
  • The sword guy map sprite has a black square of pixels that came out in his animation when it is selected.
  • I do not like the fact the three first playable units are the same class. Yes they are hunters but i think you can give them a more specific class for each one and a little description of what they do with their own classes.
  • The girl uses lockpicks but she isnā€™t a thief, she is a hunter and the other two are hunters too so why she can use lockpicks and not the others ?
  • I think the same that DAT. The maps doesnā€™t looks well aesthetically.
  • Why the enemies drops weapons that you canā€™t even use in the first chapter with your units like bows or light books ?
  • I also do not like high levels of difficulty from the beginning ā€¦yes. it is a hackrom and most of the players of this hacks are experimented with FE. But what if some new player wants to start playing FE with your hack ? They will not understand how to fight. I would recommend to add three levels of difficulty as vanilla games. You donā€™t need to change the whole chapter. Just modify the difficulty. Thatā€™s my opinion about that.
  • I prefer to enjoy the story by the gameplay than just have a hard gameplay from the beginning and i think thereā€™s a lot of players like me. Think about making your project open to a variety public. Same project but with some settings that makes the game more enjoyable for everyone (like difficult)

I just played the first chapter and loose against the boss. So I came to type what was my first impression about this project.
Now i need to think carefully what moves i need to do to beat this chapter and keep playing.

I hope my words helps you a bit at least
Thanks for reading
And good luck with your project

2 Likes

Hey @keymavega I saw your post on FEE3 thread.
I can make custom icons or static custom battle sprites if you want it. In case of battle Sprite you would need to animate them.
I would like to help with that but if you arenā€™t hurry. It may takes me a bit to make what you request to me.

2 Likes

Yo, thank you for playing! and thank you for your feedback, always helpful :slight_smile:

To address some of your feedback:

• I have chapter select in there for debugging purposes, but also for players who want to play future chapters without having to play through everything again. Like you said, it is a bit difficult. I will be taking it out for the official full release, but it will be there until then.
  • I did plan on doing some work on the menus, but from my previous updateā€¦

I have officially decided to submit this hack to FEE3 this year!
The other things I had planned to design will need to be halted as well, so no new title screen or menus for now.

• I keep getting a bug where some junk pixels appear on his sword, and itā€™s inconsistent too. Not sure why it happens lol. If anyone knows why, lmk
  • They are technically the same class, but aside from the label, theyā€™re unique and specialize in different things. I agree that they could be described more distinctly though as to let the player know what theyā€™re good at, at a glance and not having to read their stats. I will probably change that.
  • Yep, Iā€™m bad at maps :cry:
  • These drops are to be used in the futureā€¦ near futureā€¦
  • Given that this rom hack was to be pretty short, I did want players to playing more carefully and intentionally. It certainly isnā€™t for those who arenā€™t familiar with the series either. I see the use case of having games be designed for a wide variety of audiences. However, I had a certain design in mind and the difficulty was a part of that. I also personally believe, and this really is an opinion, that when one creates an experience with the intention of catering to as wide an audience as possible, the experience suffers.
    ā€“ With all of that said though, after the full release I may consider going back and implementing an easier difficulty if there is a demand!

Thanks for offering to help, I really appreciate that!
I do have something that I hope you will be able to help with.
I will send a dm!

Leandros is immune to crit damage and the archer in the room has an extra elixir. Wraith has higher res than the others A hint for the ch 1 boss
3 Likes