[FE8] Fire Emblem: The White Feather - v0.5.3; 15/24 Chapters

Hello everyone. During the past month I’ve been slowly working on an update to improve parts of the game that I have dismissed or simply forgot about in the past. These include some MIDIs that were ported over quite hastily and some supports that were similarly rushed out. However, the most glaring issue in the game are the portraits. With one exception, all the playable character portraits were made by me and they look quite… bad. If anyone would like to help out with this, I’d greatly appreciate it. I can’t offer much in return, but if you have a hack of your own, I can create an original music track for it as a form of compensation. Feel free to contact me here on FEU or on Discord @ Percevalko#2036.

Cheers.

7 Likes

I have been enjoying the hack so far right now. I got to be impressed, your ROM hack based on the early 1920s with an alternate reality change from what our world would look like if Fire Emblem was a real thing with fantasy and historical-accuracy. First time playing a incomplete ROM hack that I can help improve in the next update.

Currently up to Chapter 6 so far and there are a couple of bugs that I come across since it’s a incomplete ROM hack and there are issues involving.

Prologue: Odds - When I visited the village with Erkan, I have received the item from it and saw the village gets destroyed instead of being closed. Pretty sure it was a bug at first. Just want to point out, nothing too major.

Chapter 3x: The River - Found a enemy Pegasus Knight with a Iron Sword and Lance in their inventory as reinforcement. Pretty sure it’s a weapon error from the looks of it.

Chapter 4: Bruteforce - I was almost done with clearing the map by defeating all the enemies and then the boss which results in the victory music not playing. The Boss itself, Nucleus, does not have a ranged weapon to counter it and only has a Iron Axe equipped. I think a Nullify Skill that protected triple effectiveness from Bows would be make the boss a little tougher and maybe give a warning that the boss will move out and become aggressive instead of a sitting duck waiting for the main units to arrive and defeat him. That’s my little thought about it and might change things up for Chapter 4.

So far, enjoying the story and playing it. Wish you luck with the ROM hack and take your time with it. Really like your take on a FE ROM hack with the Turks, Brits, Ottomans, and some of the interesting facts about people, location, and food based on real-life history.

3 Likes

Many thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the village destruction thingy, it seems to work properly in some chapters and in others (including the prologue) the game doesn’t load the correct tile change… I will have to take an extensive look into that some time soon. As for the other two, thanks a lot for letting me know, I’ll be fixing them ASAP. Keep the feedback coming though. :>

Cheers.

2 Likes

1st Anniversary of TWF today!
Today one year ago I fulfilled a dream of mine that I had ever since getting into FE ROMHacking some 6 years ago. But I’ll save the sentimentalities for once I actually complete the hack - speaking of which, I am fairly content with the progress I’ve made in this first year, getting roughly half of the game done, perhaps more than half if based solely on chapter amount.

Next update will bring, above all else, portrait overhauls. Big thanks to those who contributed - full credits will be written down once the update is out. If you’d also like to assist with portraits, feel free to message me anywhere.

Progress on the game will be slower this year as I’m preparing for crucial exams in addition to dealing with the usual BS modern day Turkey has to offer. Expect prolonged radio silence - but TWF will remain alive in one form or another as long as I remain alive too…

“Never dead, always underground.” -Primefusion

Cheers

8 Likes

nice! <3 congrats on the ongoing project! I am really interested. If you are in need of an artist or animator let me know, would love to help

cheers and good luck on the exams

1 Like

Is this finished?

my dude

6 Likes

Sorry, I’m relatively new to this website

3 Likes

This is moderately common, you’ll find something like your comment on any big hack so I 100% believe it, although I don’t really understand it.

2 Likes

Happy Japanese Marine Day. A new, minor update for TWF has been released today, 0.5.1, featuring mostly text fixes and rewritings. This was done to fix some moderately edgy dialogue, fix spelling errors, fix weird wording and also to remove any doubts about whether the hack is still being worked on oe not… lol. Please don’t expect the next big update any time soon, but it will come one day.

Download link in the description.

Cheers

Edit, October 22th: Another small update has been released, once again with minor text rewrites and fixes to misc. stuff like the sound room.

8 Likes

Is this hack dead?

Nope.

5 Likes

A new TWF update has been released.

I apologise for still not adding a new chapter after so long - it’s in the works. To make up for that, here is an outline of what’s included in the update:

Chapter 1 has been overhauled to be less claustropobic and to allow for more wiggle room.

ch1

New portraits by @Sphealnuke - Check out his hack Shackled Power, too!

Portrait Editor The White Feather.gba_11@0B _8ACCF8Portrait Editor The White Feather.gba_14@0E Zeki_8ACD4C + 3 more!

New & improved battle palettes by illmoro!
Polishing to enemy placement, pacing, overall gameplay in almost every chapter.
A lot of rewritten supports and dialogue for better flow and wording.

Further specific changes
  • Rüstü finally has a skill. Also nerfed Damla’s skill.
  • New colours for Orkun by @Sterling_Glovner - Thanks!
  • A new original track for the sidequest chapters has been added.
  • Other original tracks have been renamed, alongside chapters.
  • The tone of certain talk conversations were corrected;
  • Rewrote Orkun and Azra’s talk conversation.
  • Adjusted the end chapter conversation of chapter 6 to be more in line with the game’s plot.
  • Adjusted the end chapter conversation of chapter 12 for similar reasons as above.
  • A lot of other very specific changes that I don’t remember.

Download

9 Likes

Finished the hack playing at Hard difficulty, feeling quite the difficulty spike after Ch.10, and came across some bugs and anomalies that would be best reported.

Bugs and co.

The White Feather (31)

• Although not sure of whether or not this is intentional, Zehra does not have Flier Aid, having 7 Aid vs. Sabiha’s 12.

The White Feather (36)

• Chapter 3’s boss does not have the weapon rank to use his weapon.

The White Feather (42)

• Pegasi reinforcement by Chapter 3x carries a sword with no sword rank.

The White Feather (61)

• Chapter 4’s Axe Wyvern boss lacks a ranged axe animation, which causes the game to freeze if animations are on, leading to a softlock.

• Additionally, defeating all enemies but the boss renders the game’s OST silent (no song for when there is one enemy left?) on Chapter 4, 7x, 9 and 11.

The White Feather (72)
The White Feather (71)

• Chapter 5’s notification of Anza’s village by turn 3 (Ally Phase) still comes up even if already recruited.

• Mythril Axe’s Weapon Rank (A) is incongrugent with other Mithril tier weapons (E), such as the Mythril Blade or Lance.

• Timur’s Scroll also grants a Mag bonus, even though it is not mentioned on its item description.

• The same happens with Girai’s Scroll Mag Penalty.

The White Feather (108)
The White Feather (110)
The White Feather (111)

• Promotions that grant +1 Skill instead display your skill being dropped to 1. This is merely a visual bug.

• Zehra and Egir lose Canto upon promoting (the former gains Relief instead, but the latter simply loses Canto)

The White Feather (118)
The White Feather (119)

• Mikhael’s conversation to Piri Reis is unavailable, despite his Talk: pointer indicating he can talk to him.

• Seemingly, Chapter 7x turns the player heavily unlucky by giving them five blank level ups in a row.

The White Feather (136)
The White Feather (137)

• Fighter on Chapter 8 has the wrong tooltip (is marked as an Enemy) instead of a (Greek) Soldier.

• Skirmishes (Available after completing chapter 9) repeat conversations of the chapter they were available on (for example, playing Chapter 4 - Skirmish with Nehir and Ali Efe allows for the former’s recruitment convo to happen).

• Additionally, Skirmishes on “Kill Boss” maps do not end upon killing the Skirmish boss, effectively blocking a player out of a run.

• Chapter 11’s second village is not visitable.

• Chapter 11x is mislabeled as Chapter 10x in the Sidequest Guide.

The White Feather (240)

• Non-trooper Bow Knight takes no effective damage from a Zanbatou in Chapter 12.

• 2nd Village at Chapter 12 is not visitable.

Beyond these small bugs/strange encounters, I have to highlight the charm that this hack exhudes, with the many conversations within characters of the army giving both a good impression of each character itself and feeling humane as well.

I do also have to recognize one of my quick favourite parts of this game - the OST. In great part, “No Threat”, the boss theme, is honestly one of the best bangers I’ve had the luck to listen at, and I have actually let it play instead of proceeding with fights due to how good it is.

Although I come completely blind to both this hack and the story behind the Turkish Revolution, I have to say that this game does a good job at introducing me at them by what I’ve played so far.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the extensive bug report!

I have released an update with several bug fixes, full list below.

List of bugfixes/balance changes
  • Fixed Yukon not having a high enough weapon rank
  • Fixed some other enemies not having the required ranks
  • Fixed some chapters not having a victory song
  • Fixed the Mythril Axe having a weapon rank of A
  • Fixed Azra’s village “conversation” appearing despite prior recruitment
  • Fixed some classes losing skills upon promotion
  • Fixed Mikael being shown as having a conversation with Piri in Chapter 7x
  • Skirmishes now notify the player that the goal is to rout, regardless of what the objective window says
  • Fixed unvisitable villages in Chapter 11 and 12
  • Fixed some classes not being weak to their effective weapons
  • Fixed some errors in the guide
  • Fixed Bayanchur having a default death quote
  • Did some light balancing
  • Added more vulnerary drops
  • Added more gold drops
  • Changed some village items

Download is in the thread as usual.

Cheers

7 Likes