[FE8] Fire Emblem: The Sacred War [complete]

Phew, took me forever, and I had my doubts whether I could, but I finally made it. I cleared the 1.50 tower!

By the way, nice touch using the Lavos theme from Chrono Trigger for the final floor. Really fitting considering that she made me suffer a lot.

So, I guess this means I’ve got nothing left to do but max the stats of all the characters from now on?

2 Likes

Yeah, you can do whatever you want.
Or start a new file?
Or just end the journey.

Well, there’s the remaining support conversations. As well as try different character promotions. So I’ll have to do at least two more main story playthroughs anyway.

It’s been fun, though. The extra chars were definitely a nice addition, and a good reward after that hellish tower.

2 Likes

Hi there,

It’s been brought to our attention that you’re using non-f2u assets from TLP. Did you receive permission from the creator(s) to use them?

First I did try to contact the Creator and I couldn’t even ask him:

The mug is redrew by me and customized by me to fit in FE8.
The boss/theme music is from “F-Zero: GP Legend - Lightning” ROM.
As for the battle animation, no I do not have permission
and didn’t know they were non-f2u as sample frames are used in the “Ultimate Guide” of the creator so I thought they were public :confused:

Like I said, back in the update when I used the asset, it’s an easter-egg; a homage to the original famous creation that influenced so many others.
Hence it’s not overly used and only for 2 minor instances. There is no ill-intent behind it.

2 Likes

Blazer isn’t the one you’d need to ask for permission, you’d need to ask the artists. See here:

I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to remove the portrait and the battle animation. The mug is identical aside from the frames being tweaked and adding a mini, regardless of how it was generated. Free to edit falls under free to use.

I don’t doubt that, but using hacking assets without permission from the author is still against the rules regardless of the intent; there’s honour amongst thieves here.

So if I edit them further more and replace them with something that only kinda looks like the original, there won’t be a problem?

I may have worded that poorly but to rephrase:

If something isn’t free to use, it isn’t free to edit.

1 Like

You are killing me as I have to drop everything else and go back to it
but I’ll see it fixed and removed.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I can’t help but feel this is kinda unfair. Seal here has made and released a ton of original stuff, like icons, backgrounds, animations and portraits. Having him remove a simple homage that uses artwork from an author that has abandoned the community and is not really approachable about it seems way too strict.
On a personal note, this hack is here the reason I started messing around with FEBuilder and gave it a go at my own hack, so I can relate to how Seal wants to pay homage to TLP.
Anyway, that’s just my opinion and I had to get it off my chest.

4 Likes

It’s OK. I’ll have it replaced with something appropriate else in 2~3 days.

If it was actually Blazer’s creation to give away, I would accept his explicit “I don’t care” as permission. As it stands, however, The Last Promise is already on questionable ground regarding artistic credit (considering that the works were often given upwards of five years before the final hack release, and were heavily edited and touched up), and the burden is on the hack creator to seek out the original artists.

This is in addition to blazer’s stated intent that the assets in TLP ought to remain private (which I’d forgotten about while we were discussing this hack internally).

The 1st part (v1.35) is ready and replaced. Tomorrow I’ll do the v1.50
Mug and Battle Animation removed.
Kelik Censored

2 Likes

today i learned that using an asset without its creator’s permission and being told not to is censorship :OOO

18 Likes

Ahaha, yes very good one :DDD
I’d say on the same tier as getting IP claimed when the person/group who conceived it and improved it can’t come and claim it by name and presence.

And for the record, I did believe that specifically Kelik, being a self-insert of Blazer, was Blazer’s own creation. Not someone else’s.

But in the end does it matter what you want to call it?
I removed it on both patches and the homage to Blazer and that 2010 marvel was erased.
And it wasn’t from the request of the TLP’s creator where the asset was used.

So I wonder if we are not allowed to use any directly assets from TLP for personal project, how about using them as inspiration? Like a couple of movements in the animation for a sample.
Can you answer me @anon98251803?

2 Likes

I chuckled through my nose.

if you don’t own it, don’t use it frend :c
i don’t think the content creator needs to ask you to not use an asset for it to be considered a faux pas?
just don’t use stuff you don’t have explicit permission to use

5 Likes

If we don’t put a stop to this then nothing’s stopping anyone from using assets made by people no longer in the community without their consent.

Kelik may be his self insert but Blazer did not make the portrait or the battle animation and there’s no evidence supporting that they’re his to distribute.

There’s nothing wrong with being inspired by something, and this feels like it’s off topic given the context of the situation. If you have any concerns regarding your situation I’d recommend PM’ing me instead of posting on Seal’s thread.

Seal has indeed provided the community with a lot of free to use assets and I’d like to personally say that I’m thankful for their contributions. I’ve used a few of them in my own project. That being said, if we let asset stealing slide for people who contribute to the community then we’re creating a sense of elitism in which the rules don’t apply to content creators.

12 Likes

There’s still a way to pay homage to Kelik without having to steal from TLP, I think.

In earlier versions of TLP, Kelik’s portrait was a recolored Ephraim. You could do the same thing and use a recolored Ephraim portrait to represent Kelik. The map and battle animations can also be replaced with some f2u ones from the graphics repo. I’m not sure about the map sprite, but I recommend the Lloyd Alt animation for the battle sprite; in my opinion, it looks better than Kelik himself anyway.

2 Likes