[FE8] [COMPLETE] Fire Emblem: Flames of Redemption (Version 1.5 out!)

fortitle

Hello, everyone. This is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a little while. I hope that you enjoy this hack project that I’ve been working on for around 4 months, mostly in secrecy. I don’t really work on it as often as I’d like because of my job but let’s hope I can update it often enough so it doesn’t get forgotten.

This project was completed in late 2021 after almost two years of work. This is a full game and it’s about as long as Sacred Stones.

About Me

I’ve been lurking in the FE community for more than a decade. I never really did anything of mention until now, so I might as well be new to it.
This is my first time ever making a hack, so I wanted to start with something somewhat vanilla, nothing really groundbreaking here. Still, I believe there are some unique twists and themes here. But yeah, this is my first time making mugs, “arranging” music, making maps and all that stuff.

Story

screen6
It is the year 847. The continent of Pyrmont is in turmoil. Although the landmass is divided into several protectorates and duchies, it is controlled by one superpower: the empire of Feuerburg. Rebekka von Krauser, its young and inexperienced empress, who has been unable to keep the collapsing nation in control, with peasants and nobles all hunting for her head.

After a tragic event in the small town of Lirim, a group of five villagers join forces to investigate a mysterious raid, and possibly take down the empress themselves. Miriam, a high-spirit alchemist. Charlie, the adventurous hunter. Jacob, the eloquent mage. Lily, the inexperienced, but caring, lancer. And finally, Roman, an amnesiac youth who survived a shipwreck. This small army of rebels leave their ruined land, unaware of the long-lasting effects their actions will cause.

Screenshots:
fefor 034 title screen.2021-08-31 21.57.47
screen2
fefor 034 title screen.2021-08-31 21.46.35
fefor 034 title screen.emulator
naval warfare

Features
  • 25 chapters.
  • All new story with 40 playable characters, also completely new (except for one cameo).
  • Several maps feature naval warfare, where you control ships instead of people, with different types of ballistae.
  • Supports are implemented! They also build really fast.
  • As I said before, things are very vanilla, but expect skills and some QoL stuff. (Open to suggestions for more patches.)
  • Speed up animations by holding the R button.
  • Some balance changes, mostly buffs to some classes. See below for more information.
  • Easy, Normal and Difficult are all implemented. Easy is closer to vanilla FE8, while Difficult assumes good strategy and unit raising. A few enemy reinforcements are Difficult-exclusive.
Changes from vanilla
  • Soldiers and monsters have received considerable buffs.
  • Thieves now promote into either Swordmasters, who have received slight buffs, or Assassins, who now have all the perks the rogue class had.
  • Myrmidon now promote into either Swordmasters or Rangers.
  • Playable Soldier and Brigand. Also, playable Fleet because why the hell not.
  • 1-2 swords are now as common as hand axes and javelins.
General Guide

Flames of Redemption General Guide

This spreadsheet includes a character and a class guide, along with instructions on how to unlock the secret character and epilogue. It’s divided in spoiler and non-spoiler sheets, so you can safely avoid spoilers if you want. This guide replaces the old recruitment guide, and will also be useful for those who want to know what skills a certain character will learn, who they support, and what their promotion options are ahead of time. You can also use it to look at the character portraits, I guess.

Secret Shop

For those who can’t find it. There is only one secret shop in the hack, and it’s in CH12. Once you complete it, you can sell the card if you want.

secret shop

Known Bugs
  • The enemy thieves may attempt to unlock doors that they can’t open in CH11.
  • Killing Zee early with a Harpoon in CH14 may softlock the ending cutscene. This can be bypassed by skipping the cutscene, but it’s better to ignore him.
  • Disembarking from the Mothership in Ch21 when there’s another unit near the coast may cause the game to freeze. You can still close the game and resume if this happens.
  • Not a bug, but the end credits look like crap. Still legible, though.
Reverse Recruitment

Yes, there’s a reverse recruitment version now. Please keep in mind that it was made in late 2021 and there are no plans to update it, but it’s playable from start to finish. It should be obvious, but this version is not recommended for first time players.
(UPS patch can be found in the download link below, along with the other patches)

Finally made a Discord server. Please join if you’d like to report bugs, discuss this project in detail, give feedback, offer a hand or simply chat with us:

Current release:
Fire Emblem: Flames of Redemption 1.5 AKA. “Big Revamp’” Edition
This update is a big overhaul of the game, fixing dozens of bugs and bringing many major improvements to the hack. There are two versions, regular (fefor.ups) and NG+, which has a few additional features.

For additional credits, please see the Readme file.

70 Likes

I’m glad my first post for this site is me being able to grant what I hope is halfway-decent advice to a fledgling hack.

So! I played through the Prologue, going in on Easy Mode at first to ease myself into things, and I gotta say…When even in Easy Mode, your two starting units (Roman and Miriam) can’t deal enough damage together to kill a single enemy in one round, it’s really irritating. You end up relying on some lucky dodges in the forest to even survive the onslaught of Brigands, which is poor game design in my opinion. Not to mention that Charlie, the only starting unit with some competent bases, starts separated from the group and vulnerable to being smashed by the bandit down on his side due to being unable to either counterattack or kill him in one round.

Basically, what I’d recommend is to slightly buff Miriam and Roman for the beginning, so that together they can actually deal with a single Brigand. This’ll prevent it being necessary to rely on a 40% chance to dodge the attacks. Also, if Charlie could start closer to the group in order to aid them, it should be a big help.

Story-wise…I’m getting serious Awakening vibes with the whole amnesia thing, but it seems alright for now. Considering I’ve only gotten through the Prologue though, my stance on it is pretty shallow.

Keep up the good work! I’ll probably make more reviews for the chapters as I do them.

1 Like

Playable fleet

I am immediately sold.

12 Likes

Krash’s reply made me think it’s his another hack since 4 (blah blah blah story spoilers) kings
But nvm I got sold too
But fleet are immobile on land

1 Like

I read the first post and immediately scrolled down to say this, but see I am not the only one.

Congrats on release! You should submit for FEE3 if you haven’t already.

1 Like

AI bug report
Janna priortize enemies rather than chests
A brigand carrying thunder ran towards allies without attacking
… Thats some kind of turn of events (at least it doesnt lead to making the chapters allies and enmies stats inflated)
And those guys left with the equipment wow
(Not stonk)
And charles desc kinda spoiled
Just reminding you someone’s bases and growths are kinda high (standards of unpromoted unit)
Pro: It felt like the characters are described well through plot developments
But (maybe you can add in chapter talks b2n ally units to deepen the characteristics)
Con: rip 2 extremely good units
And ch6/8 ending scene Roman really didnt show any more hesitation?

Edit:where did janna go in the end of ch6?

1 Like

Hi all. I didn’t disappear, I messed up some things when upgrading my pc so I was without one for days, but we’re good now. I’m really new here so sorry if I don’t know how this kind of forum works lol, sorry if I’m not supposed to @ people like this.

First of all, thank you for actually playing my hack, that’s awesome. @Mintywater Thanks for the advice. I don’t think you have to take that many risks if you abuse Roman’s Provoke skill, the AI always goes for him even if they can kill Miriam or Charlie. I’ll definitely try to buff their bases a little bit, though, thanks for the advice! And it’s funny that you mention Awakening when it’s my least favorite game in the series. I promise that the rest of the story isn’t as shallow. As an aspiring writer I really hesitate to use amnesia as a plot device but I couldn’t help it for this one story.

@Pandan I haven’t. I don’t really know what that is, but I’ll guess I’ll go lurk more! And I kind of figured the playable fleet thing would generate some reaction. @Ribombee Well not sure if it’s what you’re looking for but it’s really easy to build supports in CH1-6 if you want to learn more about the characters. As for Janna…

(Spoilers kinda) She’s the only character who can actually die in Part 1 if her HP hits 0, so she doesn’t have as much plot relevance. You’ll find out what happened to her, assuming she didn’t die in your game. EDIT: Spoiler warning.

Good morning. I just uploaded the first revision of the patch, to address some issues.

-Roman’s and Miriam’s bases have been buffed, making the early chapters less of a pain, especially on lower difficulties. They will one round a bandit as long as you attack with Miriam first, to make use of her Charm skill.
-Fixed Charlie’s description to avoid spoilers. Oopsie.
-Janna now prioritizes stealing over attacking in CH2.
-Slight nerfs to a certain CH7 character.
-Fixed Nadja’s description.

These were the changes that I deemed absolutely necessary. I’m considering making more changes, but that is all for now.

2 Likes

Btw ch8 the boss has 50 atk, meaning you have to save state to avoid getting guarenteed one shot

1 Like

Hey, I played through what’s in the hack so far on NM and thought I’d leave some feedback here. Overall, I enjoyed playing it and look forward to seeing where it goes.

Story

The overall direction of the story is interesting in that you’re actually fighting your opening party, but the pace from Prologue-6 feels really, really fast. Part of that is that the scale of the conflict is kind of odd; defeating an empress with six people in seven chapters is a pretty fast progression, even with the circumstances provided as a reason for why it it was possible (basically that the empire’s army was focused towards the east, iirc). Getting to the actual group of playables is important, but it does make it more difficult to care about fighting your old group when they don’t have a whole lot of time to shine, imo (and Chapter 3 kinda feels like a filler chapter storywise, so there’s even less time). Also, I’m not a huge fan of the “I can’t fall here. I must make my retreat” style which happens with a lot of characters that I’ve seen so far (Saif and Galeforce Knight twice, your entire old group besides Janna, Emil). In moderation, I think it’s fine, but it happened a lot in what’s currently in the demo, so I just thought I’d mention it (also an entirely subjective point on my end). On the other hand, I’ll say that the Miriam’s Mix thing ended up being really clever as I was wondering, “why rename Vulneraries?”, but then it turned out to be brainwash juice, so the change made a lot of sense for gameplay-story integration. This does lead to a weird situation after that where you can still use them even after Moira is gone, which kind of seems like a plot hole? Not sure how you would go about resolving that, but I didn’t actually see the twist fully until Chapter 5 when it became beyond obvious from the village, so the twist did its job. I can’t say much about the story after that since there’s not much to go on so far, but I’m curious to see where it ends up.

Gameplay

Prologue
Not much to say about this one since it’s fairly short. Originally, Roman was really bad pre-buffs (to the point of being ORKO’d on NM by the Brigands here if he uses an Iron Axe), but I replayed with the new patch, which seemed to fix that issue.

Chapter 1
This map was alright. I felt like the village was kind of out of the way at that point since you don’t have any higher Move units, and it’s in the opposite way compared to the one you want to go. Emil kinda felt like a chump, since you can just hit him from range with Miriam/Jakob pretty safely. The left side and right sides ultimately kinda feels like areas you won’t ever go to since there’s not much reason to. It could be cool to make the snag near the start usable to give the player another path to take here.

Chapter 2
I like this map a good bit. The only part that was somewhat annoying was Janna pathing toward the boss instead of going for the treasure, which now has been fixed, so I don’t have any criticism in mind.

Chapter 3
Not a big fan of the fog ballista, lol. I don’t think I ended up losing anyone from it, but I think fog siege weapons in general are kinda sketch. Aside from that, the houses giving tips about certain enemies having items wasn’t particularly useful, as I ended up getting them before even visiting them. I thought the chapter overall was ok though.

Chapter 4
Wasn’t huge on this chapter overall. For one thing, I don’t think it’s really feasible to save the top village because of how many enemies there are on the right side (even when I moved as fast I could, they ended up bodyblocking the path upwards anyway). This also makes visiting the Armory a pain because you need to go upwards to take care of Saif and his cav reinforcements (which are really annoying on a Rout map, especially because they continue for quite a while).
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.34.09 PM
As a result, the map feels kind of like a grind overall. I think just reducing the turns on how long the reinforcements spawn could help a bit with this.

Chapter 5
I generally liked this map. I do think that getting Excalibur through the village may not be the best just because it makes Excalibur not an item the player will definitely have (and not having it would make the next chapter significantly more difficult). Aside from that, the overall amount of combat felt good, though it did fall off a bit towards the end. Some enemies did feel kind of weak (the Steel Lance Cav reinforcements were doing 0 damage to Lily, though she may just be incredibly blessed).
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.09.50 AM

Chapter 6
This one has a couple of issues, imo. For one, the chests are scattered all over the place without any droppable Chest Keys, so you have to have bought them at the shop in the map before. If you didn’t do that (either through not looking at the shop menu or just assuming they wouldn’t be necessary), then Janna has to run all over the map to get all of them, which takes a lot of time. Janna also has her own issues on this map. In my case, her Iron Sword was low on uses, and thanks to no Preps and being blocked off from all of the other units, she couldn’t even break the wall on her side. This probably isn’t that common, but it can lead to a situation where Janna just can’t fight back against the enemies that charge her, which is not good imo. If this happens, getting rid of the Bolting mage becomes a pain, on top of dealing with all the other enemies. Saif and his Paladins are the icing on the cake, as they jump you when you’re probably dealing with other enemies, further making that map risky.

Chapter 7
This chapter gives you Reiner, who essentially stomps the rest of the map (not sure about post-nerfs though). He’s pretty much necessary to actually reach the top right village on time (also, having the enemy monsters destroy the villages kind of threw me off). But having to rush over that way made going to the bottom left village feel more annoying, and I ultimately ended up skipping it. The bottom right village was also a bit tedious to get to, which also made Saif (and by extension, the Sasha) not end up taking part in much of the action in this chapter since he had to wrap all the way around. Joseph’s recruitment seemed a little luck-based as well because of potential green unit shenanigans, but Reiner probably makes that a non-issue usually. Also, a lot of the reinforcements towards the top right of the map were pretty easy to just hold at the chokepoint. I liked the map on the whole.

Commenting on the characters that join here, Sasha seems pretty meh, Joseph seems alright, and Rebekkah was kind of underwhelming. Her Prf in particular is just not great since it’s not even effective against all monsters so far as I can see, and it’s 3 Mt, so even when it is effective, I saw her doing less damage than other units in the one scenario where she should do more.

Chapter 8
I like the general structure of this chapter and the idea. Some parts of it can be kind of rough though. This is a minor thing, but Lily visually being the same as any other cavalier caught me off guard (pretty sure it resulted in a reset, which was not fun, lol). Carl was a real nuisance because of how dodgy he is along with sorta awkward timing for when he reaches you, so the green unit army dealt with him. The problem with this green unit army is that they don’t turn blue at any point afaik (no talks), and Reiner will pretty much run through the entire rest of the map if you don’t rush along with him. Also, even if Reiner attacks Moira at full health, one miss leads to him getting oneshot. Idk what happens if he dies, but I think letting them be temporarily player units would make this less of an issue. This pressure to move rightward also makes the top left village and Emil’s recruitment more difficult than it probably would be otherwise. This is partially a result of the thief AI that brigands seem to have where they ignore your units. Also, Moira in general is super sketchy to fight because of how strong Excalibur is + she’s on a fort. I was lucky enough to just have enough damage with Rebekkah’s Inspiration to have a semi-accurate OHKO hit chance with Roman, but it seems fairly inconsistent and could prob soft lock some people or require savestating. One last thing: did I miss a unit? There’s an open deploy slot here for some reason, and I only missed the bottom left village in Chapter 7.
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.28.00 AM

Typos

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.42.40 PM
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.22.30 PM
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.30.03 PM
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.40.55 PM
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.23.23 AM
These are all examples of comma splices, which is where two sections of a sentence that could stand alone are separated by a comma. Ways to fix this would be either just making the comma a period and separating the parts into two sentences, adding a coordinating conjunction (and, for, but, or, etc.) after the comma, or making the commas semi-colons. There’s a lot of these, so even fixing just some of them would help a lot imo. All the typos after this point should be specific things.
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.41.19 PM
Usually is “ring”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.44.11 PM
should be “have to”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.44.18 PM
“shipwrecking” sounds kind of odd in this way; I think “shipwreck” would sound better here(and in the other times where “shipwrecking” is used, mostly)
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.44.54 PM
should be “amnesia”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.45.24 PM
should be “gladly”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.45.58 PM
first “to” can be removed
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.49.30 PM
“had” should be “have”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 9.58.46 PM
pretty sure the period should be a question mark since this sentence is just an extension of a question
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.01.36 PM
should be “caught” instead of “catched”
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.02.46 PM
“more” should be removed
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.23.24 PM
could either do “Tell me why Dagran’s…” instead of “Tell me, why did Dagran’s…” or you could just put a question mark where the period is
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.10.50 PM
Needs a space after the first exclamation mark
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.36.21 PM
either “You were a living legend” or “You used to be a living legend” would work instead
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.37.36 PM
should be “you’re used to relying on” (also another example of a comma splice)
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.38.42 PM
Last sentence ends strangely
Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 11.41.46 PM
should be “past”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.10.32 AM
question mark looks a bit odd starting a sentence, but also, “What” after it needs a space
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.13.59 AM
I don’t remember the exact error here, but I think it’s that the first sentence says something like “wanted to do nothing with me anymore” when the phrase is usually “wanted nothing to do with me anymore”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.16.37 AM
should be “able to”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.17.21 AM
should be “retainers”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.19.14 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.21.24 AM
should be “battlefield”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.23.11 AM
usually is “let you in on”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.25.20 AM
“I we” should be “we”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.26.54 AM
“Somehow” should be “somehow”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.27.04 AM
should be a question
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.30.15 AM
“went” should be removed
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.32.07 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.33.22 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 1.33.41 AM
should be “Empress” since it’s at the front of her name
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 10.50.50 PM
should either be “refuses” or “has refused”; right after this, I think one line says “Feurburg”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 10.53.09 PM
don’t think the comma at the end is necessary; should be “hesitate”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 10.53.29 PM
should be “in” instead of “on”; also, “best knights” again
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.06.56 PM
should be “think”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.09.41 PM
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.37.10 PM
should be a question
![Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.37.54 PM|480x318 (upload://eXdG62cT4PP8LeAHwFv2q7VmBUH.png)
should be “wound”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.53.47 PM
should be “absence”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.55.00 PM
should be “knights”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 11.55.28 PM
should be “motherland”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.02.02 AM
seems like this should be “can be no” or “can’t be”
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.15.02 AM
A possessive for any singular word, whether it ends in a s or not, should have 's after to indicate it (i.e. empress’s). There are a very small number of exceptions, but generally, it should always be 's.
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.31.09 AM
seems like the period should be a comma
Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.31.19 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.39.07 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.46.46 AM
should be “two”
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.47.07 AM
should end in a question
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.49.41 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 9.49.27 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.22 AM
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.09 AM
All of these battle convos cut off. I didn’t see Roman’s with Jakob, so that one may also cut off (not sure though).
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.11.39 AM
Should be “It was” instead of “I was”
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.41.56 AM
should replace or remove one “only” to avoid repetition
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.42.26 AM
should be “such a warrior”
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.43.20 AM
“our” should be removed or some other word should go before it like “we shall make our advance”, for example
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.47.15 AM
should be “Highness’s”
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.48.20 AM
should be “thoroughly”; also another comma splice
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.50.39 AM
“sign an alliance” sounds off; may sound better as forge, enter, or create an alliance
Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 10.52.13 AM
“know” should be “now”

3 Likes

There’s an error with Chapter 6’s title.

Edit: I got kinda blindsided by Saif being an ambush spawn. I was far enough into the map that it didn’t ruin it, but that’s pretty nasty.

Holy cow, there’s a lot to unpack but I’m thankful for all the feedback.

Story: I agree with most of your criticism. There definitely won’t be more moments of caracters retreating after chapter 8. As for the mix, yeah, I’d make those items disappear from the party if I knew how to do it. At most, I guess I could provide a some sort of explanation as to why they’re safe to use.

Gameplay: Your insight on every map is very helpful. I’m addressing as many changes as I can in the next smaller update (the ones I consider high-priority, at least). Larger map revamps will have to come later. CH3: I agree the houses are useless gameplay-wise, that map got a few changes before release but I decided to keep the house convos for lore reasons. CH7: Nope, you didn’t miss a unit, that’s another bug.

Typos: Oh boy. The script is massive and I expected to miss some typos, but there are a lot of them. Some are even embarrassing to read but that’s what you get when you work on it so late. A friend of mine just played this and mentioned a few of them, so I was already in the process of fixing them, but there are way more than I expected! You’re my savior for screen-capping the ones you found, too. Honestly most of them didn’t need an explanation but there are some sentences that I thought were grammatically correct until I read them like five times, lol.

I’m very thankful for your help, this will make the hack a lot better. I hope you enjoy the following releases as well.

4 Likes

Version 0.1.2 has been released. You can find the link in the OP.

Changes:
-Fixed LOTS of typos.
-Fixed Killing Edge’s description (how did this happen? lol)
-Sasha has higher bases now, starting at lvl 5.
-Halved cavalier reinforcements in CH4.
-Fixed Sasha’s death quote
-Fixed the shading in Joseph’s hair.
-Increased the Mt of a certain personal weapon.
-The ambush spawn in CH6 is a normal enemy reinforcement now.
-Meyer now carries a weapon for self-defense, kind of like Zephiel in FE7.
-Removed the extra slot in CH8.
-Bottom left Brigand in CH8 now waits for 1 turn before moving.
-CH8’s boss has been nerfed.

Workaround while I think of better a way to improve the map:
-Enemies now drop a few keys in CH6.

Known issue:
-The “Border Mulan” message at the start of CH6.

3 Likes

Hello there, just informing you that your link seems to be not working, I’ve heard some good things about this project so I’m pretty interested.

It should be working now, tell me if you have any issues.

2 Likes

Fully functional now, thank you.

Version 0.2.0 has been released! A.K.A You thought this project was dead, but it wasn’t!

Hi guys. Sorry for the lack of updates or any information at all for more than a month, but I’ve been busy. Thankfully, I was able to work on the project every once in a while, so I’m happy to present the first update with actual new content.

Changes:

-Chapters 9-11 are now playable!
-8 new characters! Try to get all of them. (I should probably release a guide)
-Water is now properly animated in CH3.
-Named enemies in CH8 are now labeled as bosses, to prevent confusion.
-Fixed the AI of enemies in some chapters to prevent them from retreating.
-Other miscellaneous fixes I forgot about.

I’m also including a CH9 save file for those who lost theirs. Enjoy!

1 Like

Theres no new characters recruitable in existed chapters right?
1.sasha’s still under leveled in my sav lol
2.how come joseph’s con be like 12 thats bulk af
3.cav’s def growth is higher than that of the armor’s
4.ch9, only 1 sellsword changed to npc (and died)
5.Lochlan desc lol
6.can’t the priest talk to maeve?

And the 2 big mans’ lying skills: 30 but the MC probably too naive to doubt that

Theres a plot hole in why maeve and raphael joining

Patrick lv1???

Idk if josephs amplitude are working normally just got a 1 stat up so kinda doubt that, will inform you again if he’s stat gains are abysmal

And then maeve couldnt steal a red gem from the sniper in ch 14

I made notes as I was playing this - very train of throught-ish so apologies for the weirdness. Some of the writing notes are more preference. And for reference, I played on Normal Mode.

Prologue
  1. After continent expository scene, random-ish flashes of scenes (one looks like an OG FE8 scene) before moving back to Roman
  2. Bandit boss is disturbingly smart (later note, this is weird because it’s literally never relevant)
  3. Starting characters have veeeery low luck. this makes the classic FE 1% crit random game over much more likely early on, even in the prologue
  4. Might be a double space in the calm down buddy line after the comma
  5. Am I wrong? should probably be its own sentence.
  6. Roman takes Jacob immediately at his word, kinda whiplashing what he just said. Charlie doesn’t say how he knows who the bandits were, no one questions it.
Ch1
  1. The guy who Jacob overhears saying target is kinda far. Maybe make it the bandit who’s closest?
  2. Village: No, don’t worry about us, we’ll be fine - probably make We’ll be fine its own sentence.
  3. Some enemy reinforcement fighters won’t attack Lily or Roman - ones from the top right.
  4. I was forced to throw away an item during the end of chapter bonus - on Roman even, who has the supply.
Ch2
  1. What’s the point of the Door Key the Brigand right in front of you has? The Thief won’t would not be able to reach you before they’re defeated even if you played around specifically to get it.
  2. Missing space in Lily/Miriam second support (simplest of spells). Also holy moly that support grew fast. (later note, I’m guessing this is just while it’s in demo form, as most supports grow this quickly?)
  3. Thief recruitment. Roman’s ‘she looks kinda fishy’ line autoscrolls straight past.
  4. Extra full stop in boss’ combat start quote. Probably remove the first comma in his opening line too.
  5. Missing . in the ellipsis in the post map recruitment convo with Anna.
  6. ‘Former glory’ is kind of an odd phrase for a tiny, remote village. Maybe like, ‘like it used to be’ or ‘like the old days’ instead.
Ch3
  1. The description of Feuerburg if you press R on the soldier names has it as Feuerberg instead (later note, this persists for the rest of the game)
  2. House in bottom left: Not only is it the red type that’s for items that give you items, it’s on the other side of the enemy that drops the Thunder tome. Kinda redundant.
  3. First A support already. Jacob/Charlie. There’s a typo in the line ‘I wouldn’t mind if. you became my first’ and again following in ‘Jacob. you’re already my friend.’
  4. Second house: ‘that wouldn’t (be) a problem’. Again, Wind Sword acquired well before reaching house - two turns ago.
  5. Might be standard and I’m just forgetting, but manned ballistas do not appear under fog, but unmanned ones do.
  6. Both Villager and Lumberjack reached level 10, but Villager still gains exp?
  7. End of chapter, Miriam’s first line autoscolls straight past itself.
Ch4
  1. First line, missing a . in the ellipsis.
  2. There seems to be a short gap in the events between reaching the gate and waking up - a short line/scene explicitly showing they made it to an inn the last night would help connect the scenes better
  3. No auto promote on lumber jack? (later note, I see why now, but it is still quite weird considering how early it occurs)
  4. Not really your fault, but I accidentally used Rally a lot on Anna. Both the door and the armory. I believe FEGBA Builder can reorder menu commands.
  5. Not that I restarted and tried again or anything, but I don’t think saving the north village is possible at all.
  6. I kind of noticed here that you almost run out of weapons for everyone who’s not Roman - who’s also the one character that capped exp already.
  7. I kinda skimmed it, but Anna/Lily’s first support has an extra . early on, next to an !
  8. Roman/Anna support 1. Roman’s reaction to ‘marry me’ autoscrolls. Also ‘You’re going way to fast, besides. I can’t’ should swap the period and comma.
  9. Enemy distribution across the map feels a bit funky, you never fight anyone in the top half of the map other than the boss and the two enemies that don’t charge you. maybe hold some more in the north back and have them all charge on a trigger instead.
  10. Roman v boss convo. Boss’ first line autoscrolls.
  11. I didn’t even realize this was the capital until the post map scene. This place is fucking tiny.
  12. Generally speaking, the plot is developing unusually quickly and out of sync with expectations from the gameplay.
Ch5
  1. Bookworm also goes past 10?
  2. Sabrina’s boss quote only triggers if she is attacked.
  3. Roman’s ‘I’ve been waiting for this - moment for so long’ line has an A button pause in the middle.
  4. Jacob’s ‘…, a big one, in fact, …’ should remove the comma after one. And another A button pause after ‘magic research’, then the ‘that’s besides the point’ sentence does not have one before it.
  5. Actually, in general, there’s a ton of extra A button pauses mid sentence in this whole scene.
Ch6
  1. ‘There are tons of soldiers, here as we expected.’ Comma after the wrong word.
  2. Sabrina’s description also has ‘Feuerberg’.
  3. Also, since she’s here, perhaps her ‘death quote’ should be changed to make it much clearer that she’s retreating instead.
  4. What’s with the Iron Blade drop on the main army’s side of the map? We only have one sword user and they’re not able to get it.
  5. Speaking of which, while the army you’ve had up until this point is very small, it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that someone may de-arm Anna. Moving or adding an extra breakable wall near the start is probably a good idea.
  6. Many of the short ‘…’ lines in the post map scene autoscroll.
  7. When the scene returns to the map there’s a tile palette error for a moment, and again after the following conversation with a background.
  8. In retrospect, it may be a good idea to give Miriam a tome other than Excalibur - it’s name is pretty unsuited for a witch.
  9. Roman’s terrible luck base ended up causing it’s first 1% crit game over in this chapter for me.
  10. Also, in general, I feel this chapter’s twist could use a rewrite. This applies to every character really, but the casual speech patterns of Rebekka in particular makes the twist seem even more ridiculous than it already is.
Ch7
  1. Missing some A button next line prompts in the intro. The line about Moira using the title runs on really long, and probably should read ‘so long as’ near the end instead.
  2. Rebekka’s ‘…’ line autoscrolls. I’m sensing a pattern here. If this is intentional, it’s not very effective - ‘…’ is a pause, but autoscroll rushes straight past it, leading to the feeling of the opposite of a pause even if it technically takes slightly longer.
  3. There’s an extra space in the ‘you didn’t prepare in battles before now?’ line. Immediately following, Rebekka typo’s her own country’s name.
  4. I recall being told we’re in the south east, yet the water is in the north - maybe add a mention of a lake or whatever earlier.
  5. It’s preeeetty weird still having Miriam’s mix.
  6. Seize TC is pretty weird. Maybe just seize town?
  7. Revenants destroying towns is unusual and unexpected. You should probably spell it out for the player that they need to protect them from it. Also the Guiding Ring itself is a bit of a weird prize at this point in the game - the units who can use it are the furthest from being able to use it.
  8. The one Bonewalker on the outside of the wall on the left is kinda pointless. If you want to encourage the player to buy a door key or bait them to attack over the wall, give it a dropable item. The right hand side is a similar issue but it’s slightly less of a dead zone on the map
  9. Hellfang on the enemies here is probably a bit much for anything that’s not hard mode. They’re significantly stronger than every other enemy on the map.
  10. On a related note, enemy quality bounces around but feels about the same or lower than FE8, but your playable characters are generally stronger.
Ch8
  1. Reiner - I think there’s a function to make leaving characters dump their inventories into the supply.
  2. The description of Belford on the soldiers is still Grado’s Remnants. The Sellswords with Emil are still employed by Pablo.
  3. Emil gets what I assume is his boss quote even after being recruited.
  4. The map change should probably be highlighted for how major it is. I didn’t even notice until I looked over there on my own. Also, it’s a bit tomato surprise-y, and changes the way you’d play the entire map.
  5. Elias is a murder machine and is pretty likely to defeat Lily over the river with his Javelin without the player being able to have a go at the item drop. And if you don’t rescue him I’d imagine he’s pretty likely to beat you to the boss and end the chapter too
  6. Boss enemies are hilariously weak.
Ch9
  1. The treasure room’s design is pretty, uh, funky. Open air treasure vault.
  2. The Fighter that starts outside to the west turns Allied, but all the other human enemies don’t change allegiance. This made him the only green unit on the map
  3. South Village has some visible [] in the villager’s dialogue
  4. Lochlan moves too early. Even when diving straight down the middle I only cleared the chapter with a single turn to spare.
  5. It seems to be possible for Maeve to not be recruitable, at least in some circumstances. On my first try the Priest could not recruit her, but on my second playthrough of the map it did work.
  6. There’s another tile palette glitch in the post map scene, following the conversation with the new recruits.
Ch10
  1. Maeve can’t steal the Red Gem from the Sniper near the start. I haven’t actually seen the Steal command all game now that I think about it.
  2. Lochlan has the wrong description
  3. Boss is bizarrely strong relative to other chapters.
Ch11
  1. Ashton has Marisa’s description
  2. At first glance - the f is with the boss’ stats (later note, yes, it does indeed make it massively luck based).
  3. Sasha/Raph C support - Sasha’s last line doesn’t have a line break before it.
  4. At least one enemy thief from the right hand side gets pretty distracted by the unopenable throne room door - including the sound effects for unlocking.
  5. Post game scene, Rebekka - ‘Take good luck, Roman’
Ch12

lol

Snooping in FEGBA Builder
  1. I had no idea about the bridge crossing in Ch3. I don’t recall it being mentioned anywhere either.
  2. No promotion item is set for Solider.
General afterthoughts
  1. Don’t use ellipsis so much. It gets old fast.
  2. Most characters speak in the author’s voice, rather than their own. Take more care to make each character have believable speech patterns.
  3. Maybe have another go at skill distribution. I think most of it is default, but you can end up with characters with 5 skills early on, while some other characters have effectively none.
  4. The plot gets out of hand very fast, bouncing around and so on. The main twist gave me figurative whiplash. If you haven’t already, try planning out what each chapter should do in terms of plot before writing the story itself, it’ll probably make the compression seem more obvious. I can see where you placed foreshadowing, but none of them are very subtle and can come across as more bizarre character traits than genuine intrigue.
  5. Most maps have weird pacing, sometimes it feels like all the enemies charge you immediately and anything beyond that is just reinforcements.
  6. Generally speaking the other aspects are nice. There’s little custom art and most of it is obviously splices, but they’re done well.
1 Like

I’m only replying to this post today since I don’t have that much time, but all the feedback is appreciated. I don’t have a new version tonight, but I just updated the OP with a recruitment guide.

1. That is totally my bad and I’m sorry, lol
  2. He’s a big boi. Being serious, that is part of his character. Speaking of him, I’m pretty sure aptitude is working, but his growths are nothing spectacular. I think he’s just OK atm, but everyone will probably see some changes as I rebalance the game.
  3. True, I’m changing that in the next version. Nerfing Saif a tiny bit and buffing Sabrina’s DEF sounds like a good idea.
  4. Hm, I think I know why, but I haven’t come up with a quick fix. I might just have them all die in a cutscene or something, lol.
  5. Oops. I’m not releasing a hotfix just yet but I’ll definitely change that in the next version.
  6. I’m pretty sure he can, but I probably messed up some completion flag? I’ll look into it. She will also join if you keep her alive, as long as you have Raphael.

My idea for Patrick was to have this weak character that becomes really strong later on, but I can see that he’s not going to work the way I wanted him to. I’ll make some adjustments. Btw, thanks for playing the new version as well!

1 Like