[FE8] Fire Emblem: Celestaris

First off the name, I just like combining words. Celestial-Star-(Aurora) Borealis. I’m also obsessed with space, stars and the moon. Carrying on!

Random spiels

I have no sense in art and… whatever, so character battle sprites and portraits are going mismatch a bit.
I also have no sense in colours and all that, so there may be weird things there.
I’ve ALSO also no sense in level/map design so these map monstrosities were left to the randomness of the map randomiser for the most part, with me just tossing a random tile/chest/house here or there. (Thank you map randomiser for making it possible for a derp like me either way!)
I’ve also x3 got zero sense in balancing, everything here is guesswork.

Really a lot of what motivates me to do stuff is just what I find fun, but I’ve got a weird idea of fun so I’ve no idea of what anyone else thinks. Related to that a lot of what I do is on a whim with no planning, so I don’t doubt inonsistencies there.

If something’s gone terribly wrong, since I’m the only one to work on this it is quite highly likely that it’s my fault. don’t yell at me too much though pls.

Some ‘promoted’ classes (In particular ‘special’ variants like Black Crusader) and special classes cap at level 30 instead of 20, still debating if I should just make EVERY promoted class cap at 30.

For a bit of weird explanation to what this might be, I do want to do proper game dev stuff with this as a guide at some point, so a lot of this is prehaps selfishly for me to have something to work off of for story and general events and stuff, but hopefully this hack will at least be fun enough in its own right.

There are going to be a few inconsistencies in character portraits, most of them are years apart in creation and need updating, I’m really lazy with updates though so they might just stay as is.

Features!

• …You can play it, I guess!
  • Currently 5 main chapters and 3 side chapters.
  • Chapter select! Play in any order and re-play chapters if you want to grind characters up! Stats/items carry over!
  • Shared convoy! This is mostly for fun, it’s shared between every team so you could theoretically cheese that way.
  • Some marginally unique animations!
  • …Lots of foxgirls?
  • A few other races like Elves and Dwarves.
  • Convoluted writing! Seriousness and humour is somewhere around 50-50
  • Every chapter has different music!
  • Thracia trading!.. And convoying! (That is, neither take a turn if cancelling)

Cast!
Everyone

Gameplay!

Screenshots

Chapter selection!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_00
A lazy way to cheat and unlock all of the chapters! (Will be removed for proper non-demo)
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_01
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_02
Annihilating zombies through utter fear!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_03
2-3 bow range and weapon triangle addition! (Bow>Sword/Axe/Lance) only on initiative, no advantage or disadvantage if you’re under attack.
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_04
People complaining about monsters smelling bad!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_05
Disintegrating bandits with a tiny robot!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_06
Zombie bishops!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_08
A chapter to abscond with all of the shinies!
FE Celestaris X-S3 133AggressorSkill.emulator_09

Inspirations and stuff~

Fire Emblem series (Naturally!), Tales series, Ys series, Kingdom Hearts series, Live A Live, Xenoblade series, Metroid series (I mean there’s a robot with beams), Zelda series
Likely more I forget, but that’s the issue with forgetting, you don’t remember them.

I also do progress/gameplay on this on my Youtube channel.
…If I forget to remove Neoma from the chapter select, I quite recommend not saving in the ‘test’ chapter! Have fun playing it though.

If you’d like to play this strange beast of a thing~

Changelog

v.1.0.1.20221226222244

• Valentina’s magic rank removed, it wasn’t supposed to be there and somehow I never noticed it was.
  • Tafel no longer starts with Provoke skill
  • Lillith can now use her own tome. Not that you’ll want her to.

v1.0.2.20221227144737

• A few item descriptions reworded, like ‘effective against infantry’ now being ‘effective against armour/cavalry’.
  • Now all ultimate-like weapons only have 20 durability-- aside from Aurion having 40 (Since it’s weaker and is used more often) and Juniper’s I.E.E. due to being unique. (And like, infinite)
  • Sterling’s Amaterasu skill replaced with Bond, so he ‘should’ passively heal allies now.
  • West-side enemies in X-3 nerfed a bit.
  • Juniper’s caps reduced to 25 (So they’ll have 40 max with the I.E.E. bonuses)
  • Added more targets to effective weapons (So the Swordslayer in X-3 is actually effective to Akiyama for example)

v1.1.0.20230105204133

• Chapters X-5 and X-S3 added!
  • Some funky portaits in the statscreen should be fixed now.
  • Light magic changed around, all Light tomes now buff/support in some way (Aside from Judgement since its thing is an attack version of sleep).
  • Wicked’s Might and Weight upped. (16 Mt > 17, 9 Wt > 15)
  • Ultimate weapons will now disappear from your inventory upon redoing their origin chapter, this is so you can’t just stock them infinitely.
  • Updates to Velvet/Vagrant’s Vanaheim animations.
  • Updates to Yuki’s sword animations.
  • Update to Spartan class’ weapon animations.

v1.1.1.20230107085320

• The last boss now actually does damage properly, goodie!
  • Last boss should now be less obnoxious with a certain skill activating, Barricade+ added so you don’t just kill it in a single turn. (Probably)

v1.1.2.20230107174628

• Things seem to have portrait changed accidentally while I was playing around with stuff, that should be fixed now, oops! (In particular, Lakche’s portrait in X-2)
  • Sapphire’s Banneret class has 6 move to be in line with the other classes.
  • Update to Io’s sword animation.
  • Update to Ceres’ sword animation.

v1.1.3.20230117224138

• Fixed a typo in last boss class’ description.
  • Small camera fix for X-5 during some Entombed spawns.
  • Thieves and deriatives now have the Lightweight skill instead of Heavy Blade.
  • New conversations for X-5.
18 Likes

Welcome to the community first off!
I’m having a lot of fun so far, currently only beat X-1 and will probably update this post after. Currently noticed the following issues:

• Tafel already has Provoke skill before Valentina talks to them.
  • Medve has poison affliction when he joins
  • Lilith has a Pale Beyond tome but can’t use it

EDIT: I’ve played X-2 now.

• Noticed I can move, trade, cancel move to pass items around without spending turn. Unsure if intended.
  • Boss for X-2 feels a bit too-strong unless one is expected to lose some units fighting them. Playing on Normal for context.
    May very well be the case with spider about poison can check again later.
2 Likes

My. Those are very strange issues, I wonder how I broke that, huh…

Edit~
Valentina’s magic rank removed, it wasn’t supposed to be there and somehow I never noticed it was.
Tafel no longer starts with Provoke skill
Lillith can now use her own tome. Not that you’ll want her to.

I’m not seeing Medve poisoned when he appears. Did you leave the creepy spider where it spawns and he got hit by it or something? Anyways, thank you!

Finished, some further observations of possible issues:

• Noticed I can also use convoy then cancel to put things in/out without a turn.
  • X-3, if player doesn’t move fast enough, Chie, Akiyama and Thorgas will die without savescumming.
  • Amaterasu on Sterling doens’t seem to work
  • Test map has entire party off-screen, can be seen via menu. Due to this turn won’t end after only usable char finishes moving.
  • After test map one is put onto the vanilla worldmap although the only fight is X-2 which then has an extra unit off-map. Afterwards returns things to normal chapter select

Medve wasn’t poisoned this time so must have been spider.

I really enjoyed this overall and can see myself messing around a little to maybe grind up units even. Thanks for making it and will be keeping an eye out for further things :slight_smile:

1 Like

~ Trading/Convoy thing is most definitely intentional! Maybe I should’ve mentioned that. Oops.
~ Is Liusaidh too much? I generally keep Dulam entirely to whittle her down and heal any backfires, then Fenris the rest of her HP down. Oops. I’ll need to think on what to do there! Thanks!

~ Hmmm… I was sorta thinking of ditching the Gorgon entirely and weakening a few enemies around there and/or buffing the group, so maybe I should get to doing that.
~ Doesn’t it? That most definitely needs to be looked into, a heal that doesn’t heal isn’t quite so handy.

~Anything test map related won’t really be fixed, it’s not really supposed to be there and should not be saved within. Maybe I should mention something more properly about that. Or just remember to remove it for releases.

I also want to have it so that if units die they ‘reset’ if you redo their origin map, as well as doing something with ultimate/unique items so you can’t just duplicate them infinitely by continuiously redoing chapters but we shall have to see!

1 Like

Zombie bishops? And monster girl? I’m in

2 Likes

Hello! Just popping up to say the next update with the newest chapter and side chapter is up! Along with that, for fun a collage of sorts with all of the characters that appear (Though not all are playable.)

Everyone

v1.1.0.20230105204133

• Chapters X-5 and X-S3 added!
  • Some funky portaits in the statscreen should be fixed now.
  • Light magic changed around, all Light tomes now buff/support in some way (Aside from Judgement since its thing is an attack version of sleep).
  • Wicked’s Might and Weight upped. (16 Mt > 17, 9 Wt > 15)
  • Ultimate weapons will now disappear from your inventory upon redoing their origin chapter, this is so you can’t just stock them infinitely.
  • Updates to Velvet/Vagrant’s Vanaheim animations.
  • Updates to Yuki’s sword animations.
  • Update to Spartan class’ weapon animations.

…And as an extra, there are little comic thingies that may put more context and background to the world and characters. Ideally I’d put them into hack form of course, but my way of doing things never makes sense.

Have a good day! And uh… very… very belated happy new year!

Spoiler related stuff

Soooo… why’d I decide to have it that you control literally everyone by the end? I just sorta wanted to see it done, I’ve not played a hack where everyone was fielded at the same time so a bit of selfish fun, then I ‘balanced’ it around that so there are also a LOT of powerful enemies to spawn to still give some challenge.

Could I condense the chapter in some future version? I dunno it’d be weird to do, especially since everyone spawns in their own groups… Maybe if it was split or something? Dunno. Probably won’t be condensed.

Update~

v1.1.1.20230107085320

• The last boss now actually does damage properly, goodie!
  • Last boss should now be less obnoxious with a certain skill activating, Barricade+ added so you don’t just kill it in a single turn. (Probably)

While playtesting initially I already wanted to do something to make it less stupidly annoying, but it seems playtesting more again yesterday just pushed me over the edge on that decision, so if you’re playing and find the boss annoying… So did I! Hopefully this’ll make it more fun.

Stupid update the second~

v1.1.2.20230107174628

• Things seem to have portrait changed accidentally while I was playing around with stuff, that should be fixed now, oops! (In particular, Lakche’s portrait in X-2)
  • Sapphire’s Banneret class has 6 move to be in line with the other classes.
  • Update to Io’s sword animation.
  • Update to Ceres’ sword animation.

Just a few smaller things (Unless you really like movement because extra movement is always good to have)

Random pre-Engage update~

v1.1.3.20230117224138

• Fixed a typo in last boss class’ description.
  • Small camera fix for X-5 during some Entombed spawns.
  • Thieves and deriatives now have the Lightweight skill instead of Heavy Blade.
  • New conversations for X-5.

Thought it’d be fun to fill the chapter out with a few more conversations, as usual you might get stuff from them.

Edit: Oh my, it seems I forgot to test with an older save for 1.1.3, if you’re using an older save you’ll likely have glitches like freezing and the game restarting, this means you’ll need to start your file over, sorry for inconvenience!

…After testing more it may just be that you’ll need to suspend and restart a save, well that’s convenient.

8 Likes

Following this one with interest. Convoluted writing, foxgirls, sounds fun.

1 Like