[FE8] Fire Emblem: Celestaris Book 0 v0.6.0 (WIP) Book II v1.0.3 (WIP), Book I v1.2.4 (Complete)

Time for our (apparently daily for now) update!
Somehow I have destroyed how stats work again.
Where are all of these bonuses even coming from?!

But I have found a solution to this fortunately! Well, a temporary measure while I’m using FEBuilder for a quick demo anyway, I’ll probably find an actual solution after FEE3.
The solution? I’ll get to that, until then I’ll get Milly to illustrate since the solution hasn’t worked for Saoirse yet.

2before
Weirdly Milly’s stat weirdness isn’t too crazy, wonder why. Elf magic?

And after the solution?
3after
Behold! Natural stats all around. My solution?

ignore the character censoring, just doing so for no real reason.

Well obviously it’s genocide, duh.
For some reason the statups were tied to which character slot they used (In the party, not the proper character ID), so swapping Milly with someone else in the character loader gave her differently weird stat bonuses. Games are weird.

While I’m here I’ll just introduce two new weapon types–
Say hello to Guns and Knives!
Guns use ‘Skill’ to do damage (Or… will, when I actually get to it) and pierce defence a bit, while Knives are… well basically are as they are in Fates, the absolute menace of stat reduction. I just thought it’d be fun if they were treated as separate weapon types instead of piggybacking off of Sword and Bow.

On that, they have cute little weapon type icons even if they don’t have weapon levels.
Sorta want to add them to the weapon triangle somewhere, but I’m not sure where yet.

6 Likes

+1! Wonder if I can keep this up for a week, it does seem to be doing something for motivation so that’s a plus.
Not too much to report today! Mostly writing random stuff and getting distracted with side stuff… half related to this.

CelestarisBookII35Start3.emulator
Hmmm… You look familiar. Wonder why.

Unfortunately with my restriction of ‘one personal skill and one (proper) promoted class skill per character maximum’ that does rule out the Book I conversational stuff where you could learn abilities that way, so for Book II I’m basically limited to character recruits, items, and statups. Could be other stuff but I can’t think any right now. Hopefully everyone’s having a good day today! Aaaand uh… if not, then kick the badness in the shins!

8 Likes

It’s that time again! What have I got today? …uhhhh… well uhhh… the ending of this chapter’s written and implemented at least? Don’t especially want to go ahead and spoil it though, so what CAN I actually show here for today’s update…
Ah, there are new affinities!.. Well, there’s only one new one right now, and I dunno if it matters too much since support partners are preset and not variable… But it might matter if I actually do a full hack instead of separate books I dunno.

CelestarisBookII35Start3.emulator

Behold the ‘Star’ affinity! It is uh… very attack focused, only adding more power and critical.

Was probably dumb to get myself to do this daily now that I’m here with nothing big, ahaha…

7 Likes

Well uhhhh… in theme with the month, I dunno if it’ll be too obvious since I hardly especially do romance (seem to be doing more than I used to though, yay? Might become more obvious over time by that virtue)

…Stop getting sidetracked stupid.

So most of my characters are various flavours of LGBT+. a few pairings I’ve done (help Awakening ruined me i must pair everyone up) are mostly girl/girl, but that’s probably something to do with like 75% of my characters being girls. I’ve gone all Touhou it seems, oops?

And for another update… Saoirse, the ‘lord’ of Book II X-2 now has an animation, yey.

Gun

Want to know how to make animations look better than they are? Make things spin!

…has anyone noticed i like purple yet.
I’ll probably release the animation at uhhhh… some point. Maybe I should do a few more random old animations first.

9 Likes

uhhhh… what the heck do i even say for today i’m basically done with the bones of the demo, uhhhhh… Last day, c’mon, think of something… Hmmm… Ah!
Palettes are done I guess? I’d show the Dancer’s palette but her animation explodes the game so that’s out… Errr… Eh, I’ll just use Milly to show it I guess. Buff as heck elf lady seems to be my go-to.

MillyPal

I still need to do personal skills for most of the people of this chapter, only two characters have skills right now. …Which also means with how I’m doing stuff would actually mean to start with the FEBuilder portion yet again which… isn’t a totally terrible idea I guess, since with most of the things done just means piecing it together again instead of doing from scratch… Would also be good to fix Saoirse’s damage, since right now her attacks are still reading from her non-existant STR instead of her great SKL stat. If I don’t get around to fixing gun damage for the demo I’ll probably increase her STR to be equal to her SKL as a placeholder.

Mwahaha, that makes an entire week!! Now I can laze around and do nothing. …That’s a lie, I’m too obsessed with working on ‘something’.

6 Likes

Extra update! Now that’s 8 days of daily updates! Why am I secretly posting today?
Well, it’s to toss up a playable demo of course! I’ll be redoing the first post with everything in a bit, so hang on for that, for now just random stuff.

small note that the ‘75’ in the ups/changelog is just a ‘backup system’ i do, that is, each save adds 1, you haven’t actually missed 75 releases, no worries there, hehehe.

If you want to play X-1, that is apparently what the MARTH entry I made became, so I’ll just link that since I still have yet to fold it into the proper rom (You know, since the first attempt exploded)

Please let me know if things explode or unexpected things happen, have fun?

Ah, I also did up a quick, dumb updated weapon triangle idea due to all of the new weapon types, still unsure if I will actually do this, but could be fun.

triangle
Black arrows are just as usual being strong against that weapon, the inner red arrows on the other hand? That means that weapon is effective against that entire triangle when initiating, like how bows in Book I worked against physical.
So lances are effective against the magic triangle, dark is effective against the ranged physical triangle, and bow is effective against the melee physical triange.

Fist/art weapon is there as a maybe, I still haven’t done anything with it yet, but the bottom three are unaffected by weapon triangle shenanigans for now (until i decide that staff is super super effective against everything or something silly like that!)

Weapon Triangle is unchanged from vanilla FE8 so far, so that not working as noted there isn’t a glitch but my laziness, hehehe.

3 Likes

Can you add fixed growth version?

1 Like

Dear author, I like your update very much, but I have to ask a question: Obviously, Minori will consume her own HP when she uses the two white magic “heal” and “physic”, but in fact, she didn’t lose HP after the animation of treating her teammates. I think this is a strange question. What do you think?

1 Like

Never actually used that before uh… I’ll have to look into it!

Oh my, the HP comes right back after battle, interesting. I’ll look into that, thank you!

1 Like

Time for the roundup of really strange issues!.. Some magic animations are broken for… a reason I have not fully got! It’s something that seems to happen when more new spells are imported, maybe they’re somehow overriding important coding… Of what I know are broken are Nosferatu, Aura, Luna, Fenrir and Dancer spell effects which seem to crash the game when they ‘hit’, so I definitely need to do something else with spell animations. Games are weird.
…Well that’s the only really strange issue anyway, maybe i lied a bit. oops.

Well, going past that weirdness, it seems that guns now actually work off of Skill stat for damage!
skl1
skl2
24+5 SKL = 29, +8 MT = 37 ATK. Yay for things that work.
Ignore the uh… everything wrong. Still in the process of putting things back together yet again, but hopefully this time it’ll be a little more permenant and updates will be able to happen quicker.

4 Likes

Interesting. Ephraim name, Erika map sprite and someone else portrait
A “popurrí” like xD

1 Like

Another somewhat unusual and pointless update because this is still my thread deal with it mwahahaha

Progress is being made again! Uhhh… so I just played with the minimug box a bit, and compared to book I it now shows the skills at the top and items at the bottom, this is due to the limit I placed, so most characters (Maybe not bosses, but very likely playables unless I find it necessary somewhere) will only have at most two skills to show and that means the entire inventory is shown off.

CelestarisBookII.emulator

I kind of want to shrink it a bit, at least the border bit so you can see the map clearer, but we’ll see.
Did end up figuring a bit about instrument stuff, so maybe the weird sounds can be fixed, yay.

…Hmmmm… I wonder if it’d be interesting for a character to change their personal skill or upgrade it somehow mid-chapter, kinda like in Three Houses after the timeskip for Byleth/Lords.

Anyway, with instruments basically down, and barring the weird broken spell things that kinda just leaves trying to remember how the heck to event in a text editor… I used to do it all the time but that’s like 10 years ago now. help. i’m old.

Think that’s it for now! Hopefully instrument stuff isn’t just immediately ejected from my brain while I try to sleep. Hopefully everyone has a nice… day?

8 Likes

Since I seem to have the attention span of a-- Ooh shiny. …What was I doing? Oh!
Welcome to the weird weapon triangle.

Was too lazy to get all of the new reactions as screenshots, so just the new ‘Ranged Physical Triangle’ and Lance Vs. Dark which extends to all magic types.

So let’s see what’s happening a bit, instead of the vanilla GBA +/- 1 damage and 15 hit, it’s instead 2 damage and 20 hit for the normal ‘A beats B’, the second new type of ‘A beats B triangle’ is instead +/-1 damage and 10 hit on initiating with no advantages if ‘B’ is the initiator.

Fear my absolute monstrosity of a weapon triangle!! …I mean, it’s different, but I don’t know if that’s good different or bad. Eh, I’ve always liked playing with weird ideas.

Hopefully at the rate I seem to be going I’ll be able to have another demo for FEE3 that’s caught up to where I was with all the new pretty changes… like Saoirse actually being able to do damage to things. And having X-1 in the same rom, that too.

7 Likes

Another moderately weird update, but for the third bloody time the chapter select is in.
back
Yay.
This time it’ll stick, I swear!

Let’s see, what’s actually new… Well the character statscreen menus are rather different from before, that was rather fun to do up.

Currently also trying to think of the ‘save carry-over’ bonus if you load in a Book I save at the Chapter Select to Book II while I’m putting the proper chapters together, this also means I will need to go back to updating Book I a bit, at least to add a special flag that’d be used to pick it up. I was probably going to go back and update it anyway since I still need to do that Zorias side chapter that’s sitting there and teasing everyone and getting rid of the ‘debug’ things.

…how am i doing so much in so little time it can’t be because i regularly sacrifice sleep to obsessively work on stuff, nope, that can’t be it.

6 Likes

More stuff! am i annoying yet

So I finished up with porting to buildfiles! YEY. This and the changes I tossed in while doing so means it is time for an update!.. Probably, I dunno if it’s a good reason to but I’m doing so anyway.

crit
Hello Ylva.
…well, the first chapter’s in as well, so an extra chapter is nice at least.

While I’d love to say that it’s ALL via buildfiles now, I seem to need to toss the spell animations in via FEBuilder still since the method I’m using with buildfiles still just doesn’t want to play well with vanilla spell effects, how barbaric.

There may be another smaller update at some point, maybe next week for missing character skills and other littler things.

As per usual it can be found in the first post.

v.0.4.0.20230614211854

• New weapon triangle stuff! Guns and Knives are part of their own Ranged Physical triangle along with bows!
  • Chapter X-1 added.
  • Gun weapon type damages based on SKL instead of STR.
  • A few changes to the character status screen pages.
  • X-2 Lyulf given Fenrir instead of Jormungand
  • Sionnach’s sword/axe rank removed.
  • Rowena’s sword/lance rank removed, has a Steel Knife instead of Steel Sword.
  • Likely a few other things I’m forgetting, having recreated the chapters from scratch again, haha.
9 Likes

This is so cool, I’ve been looking forward to your update!

1 Like

Update time again, that was a lot sooner than I thought it’d take, huh.

…So out of the fifteen playables that are currently in, there is only one boy playable. Uhhhh… Hmmmm. I should try to add more hot guys again huh.

Still can’t seem to find out why Gaiden Magic healing doesn’t properly use HP as of yet.

There are supposed to be 0% and 100% growth modes but uh… I dunno how to get them to work.

One of the more fun things to add? Well now in the ‘misc’ page you see the race of a character. I love random character info, hehehe.
race

If there was a fifth page I would very likely find more stuff to fill it with. I think all four pages are basically totally filled now, drat.

Anyways, I’ll probably just call this the FEE3 version and will try to look into properly entering it. Hopefully anyone who plays it has fun!

The next version some time after FEE3 will hopefully have a new chapter and more characters to play with, how exciting. …Although the next proper update will probably be that Book I update I mentioned before, we’ll see.

v.0.4.1.20230617121508

• Those missing personal skills before now have them.
  • The ‘protagonists’ (Chapter select characters) are now considered ‘Lord’ characters.
  • The ‘Misc’ page of the character status screens now shows a character’s race. (If one of the features is non-Fire Emblem races, may as well lean into it)
  • Fixed growths option! Will give the option once on the chapter select. Will also work for existing saves when you get to the chapter select next.
  • Unique ultimate weapons will now be ‘refreshed’ upon re-entering their origin chapter as with Book I.
  • The pointless ending spiels from Book I return!
9 Likes

Another bit of a smaller update, but since I’m trying to have a bit of a small break there is naturally going to be a bit less-- still, needs to be done.

Along with that, for fun, the little cast collage thing for those in right now~
EveryoneBookII

v.0.4.2.20230620124321

• Fox mama Anji and fox grandma Azukiiro have had their portraits updated for bigger ears.
  • A few musical themes have had their volumes reduced.
  • Ylva ‘should’ properly rejoin if you redo X-1 (If you looked in the unit menu before you’d not see her there)
  • Tarvos and Maelduin are now also considered mounted for anti-cavalry weaponry.
  • X-2 Kiyiya (Oasis house) will now give you a Hammer instead of Armourslayer. (Which… she still calls a sword now that I think of it, but I’ll fix that later, oops.)
8 Likes

Update time! Book I has received its final (intended) version! Looks like the bunny girl didn’t make the cut. Her skill was too weird for me to think of a proper chapter for, maybe I’ll be able to think on what to do for her later.

Everyone

Book I v.1.2.0.20230626110412

• Character status screen changed to be more consistent with Book II, same with chapter intros (…retroactively)
  • A bunch of map sprites-- mostly monster were squished to decrease the chance for weird map sprite shenanigans.
  • Judgement’s tome icon changed to what it should have been this entire time.
  • Chapter X-S4 now exists!
  • ‘Big Velvet’ portrait updated to be more consistent and have proper fluffy ears.
  • Juniper’s Infinite Energy Engine renamed to Infinite Energy Engine Alpha, nerfed to give +15 STR/SKL and +7 DEF/RES, but they’ve also gained Infinite Energy Engine Delta giving +15 DEF/RES and +7 STR/SKL and Bracing Stance skill.
  • Lyre has a new little animation for her Final Hour bow.
  • Title screen updated a bit.
  • Characters you’ve got killed will now be revived upon doing their origin chapter via the power of necromancy!.. They’ll start at their base stats though, so there is still punishment there.

I will just say right now that, while the game’ll mention the save shenanigans when you beat the new chapter, it is NOT yet accessible!.. Well you could try if you figure out how, but it probably won’t go too well since I still need to update Book II to accept the save properly. Anyways, have fun lovelies!

10 Likes

Now it is Book II’s turn to get an update!.. Uhm… Again.
It seems with this update there are neat little additions here and there! First off, with this update you can now carry your saves from Book I into Book II! Yay for keeping stuff! Sorta, I’ll get to that in a bit, for now the process can be found here~

And a littler thing that might help out with figuring what characters can use at a bit more of a glance, if a character can use special weapon types like Knives or Guns, you’ll now see an icon for them in the weapon level bit of the status screen, neat! …It uh… shows a bar and all that since I’m not sure how to get it to draw the icon itself yet. Ah well.

Book II v.0.4.3.20230627205831

• X-1 there seems to have been a bit of forgotten code which made something spawn when it shouldn’t have, that’s been rectified.
  • Typo fixes.
  • Monster weapons can no longer be yoinked if you capture the monsters (Which… is good, stop pulling zombie claws out and putting them in your pocket ew). (This DOES exclude the ‘Dark’ weapons like Crimson Eye, though!)
  • Removed the ability to throw knives into the supply! (This was because if you put them in you couldn’t get them back out so they’d waste space AND you’d lose the thing.)
  • Silver Weapons are now B Rank, with Brave weapons being A Rank, Steel Axe’s rank corrected to D as well. Greatlances all went down a rank as well. (The Silver Nageyari and Silver Flatbow stay as A Rank)
  • New shiny chapter intros!
  • Character status screen updated a bit.
  • Characters you’ve got killed will now be revived upon doing their origin chapter via the power of necromancy!.. Again.
  • Save file changes, so now there should be room for 200 convoy items like Book I, hopefully this doesn’t kill everything.
  • A number of map sprites (mostly monsters) squished to reduce the chance for map sprite weirdness.
  • Now there’s a more visual indicator on the status screen to show if a unit can use a knife/gun/etc. (Still need to figure how to get rid of the usual bar/text it shows, since those are useless here.)
  • Book I save compatability is here! As of yet it only boosts Velvet’s stats (Being the only current returning character) and keeps most of your convoy items, but keep your completed Book I save handy in case more is added later.

Am I ever going to myself time to like… rest… or am I just going to keep playing around with stuff obsessively? I’m probably going to continue to be obsessive.

9 Likes