[FE8] ETERNAL WINTER (18 Chapters, Act 1 [Complete] Act 2 [Gameplay Complete])

hello, i’m devisio and i made a hack.

yesthisisapheliossplashwhenthegangissus

Fire Emblem: Eternal Winter is an FE8U ROM Hack that I made with buildfiles. The hack has a heavy focus on unit individuality and fast-paced, aggressive gameplay, with distinct units using a custom skill system created with tons of custom ASM and many, MANY gameplay changes. There’s almost entirely custom art mostly drawn by me, a custom story, and tons of custom music with a new soundfont. There’s 18/25 planned chapters, with 2/3 standalone parts completed from start to finish. I’d also say it has pretty cool and awesome features (like ether and coffee and turrets and this really cool guy who has a bird on his shoulder).

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR CURRENT PATCH (v1.0)

(Remember to stay hydrated, report bugs and typos (please), and make sure you check the in-game Guide)

affostatsPrologueFieryAffoMoment

The assassination of the Aeterian Empress spurs its Duke and Apostle to rally the imperial army in retaliation. Seeking vengeance, they set their sights on the likely culprit: the neighboring twin kingdom of Wreyvine, which has long since abhorred Aeteria since its victory in the old war. As turmoil arises within the continent of Ideon, a scout of the newly formed Wreyvian 7th Platoon navigates his lost memories, seemingly clouded by a winter with no end in sight…

whenthesussytheguyliterallymemochadodamagechallenge

HACK FEATURES

• SIMPLE, HIGH IMPACT UNITS

Enemies are challenging with many weapons, and bosses even have custom personal skills, but they’re still easy to take out with a wide arsenal of many player tools. Units in the cast of 50 (split across 2 parties) are created to be distinct: all unpromoted classes have 1 weapon, and every single unit has their own niche identity through skill effects and stats, ranging from high mobility skills with hit-and-run tactics to support units with unique effects and tank units that juggernaut when near allies. Much like the units, maps are focused around one core gimmick with many solutions, making sure no map is unbeatable.

FieryTrailed

BullHeadedDiveBomb

• MECHANICAL CHANGES

There are 3 difficulty settings, each with their own little quirks. The hack has the expected quality of life patches, such as HP bars, Crit/Effectiveness warnings, Stealable/Droppable indicators, Convoy Combine, free Talk/Support, weather behind the UI, Aesthetic weather, Growth % displays, etc. In addition, the Weapon Triangle is +/-2 Mt, +/-20 Hit; weapon Hit is increased overall, and negligible Crit is removed. Supports build quickly, FE9 style, but the bonuses are low—affinities have been reworked to boost 2 stats, viewable in the stat screen. Unit stats are reduced overall, with reduced Avoid and especially low Resistance, but numbers are still high from weapons and skill effects. Also, every physical weapon type has heavy variants for those of higher Con, and there are Rings that passive boost stats or grant unique effects. Units can promote exclusively with Master Seals at level 10+, and houses grant EXP the first time you visit each. In addition, player unit deaths and green unit kills send the dropped items to the convoy. also theres no ambush spawns

Affinitiesbut why tho

whentheringisepicAceInTheHoleButAWESOME

SENTRYGUYSENTRY GUN

• REVAMPED MAGIC SYSTEM

Resistance in Ideon is rare; magic is incredibly powerful with many diverse effects. Anima focuses on support, light focuses on healing, and dark focuses on debuffing, but all of them can deal tons of damage. Luckily, Pure Water is plentiful and encouraged, and also has the additional effect of adding 7 bonus magic damage to your attacks while action, physical or magical.

In Aeteria, magic is championed as a divine power—yet Wreyvine sees it as an emblem of their sworn enemy, leading to fear, scrutiny, and rarity.

MagesonTuesdayDEMACIA

explosion momentVolatileSparks

teamwork makes the dream workDEMOCRACY

• CUSTOM SKILL SYSTEM

The revamped skill system focuses on two core features: mobility, and distinct identities for every unit. Every playable unit has a single personal skill with high impact, and a movement skill based on movement type. Personal skills can have many effects; most are passive effects, but some also include active effects, indicated by a (half) purple border. Some personal skills have simple effects such as stat boosts or extra damage, while others may have a unique effect like becoming untargettable or building stacks that grant extra actions. Of course, player units still have the expected Canto or Thief Basics. Rarely, there are even skill manuals to give player units Combat Arts to activate on player phase at the cost of weapon durability, but the main focus is on individuality through personal skills.

StandBehindMeSkillsTest.emulator-0

evileyemomentevileyegamer

DaredevilMoose

bob skill newNoraskill

• CUSTOM SOUNDFONT

Using the super cool Starfall soundfont, most songs sound completely different from FE8. There’s over a hundred custom songs in the hack, ranging from familiar Fire Emblem songs to entirely custom tracks. There’s also smooth jazz.

1 OMG TLP1 omg fe12

2 omg tlp3 i wish siegfried was real

2 CLUB PENGU!3 i wish penguins were real

ABOUT ME

i like fire emblem

FAQ

is this hack 1 rn?

no.

are marth and roy in this game?

no.

are there skills in this game?

yeah.

are there non-snow maps in this game?

no.

KNOWN ISSUES

MINOR

• sometimes i run out of OAM (like when there’s too much on screen/tutorial text boxes) and it makes the map sprites flicker lol

• If you press B after a support it replays the support (but doesn’t give you more rank)

• During Escape maps, the last unit to Escape sometimes Cantos for like a lot of turns??? It looks like it only happens on mobile emulators but eventually the map ends

• Playable generics sometimes have garbage data load as their portrait in certain menus

GAMEBREAKING?!

• In Supply, opening the R-text of certain items with 3-line descriptions (like Hook, Line…) causes the game to crash??? apparently i ran out of OAM so i’ll figure out a fix someday probably maybe just don’t open the Hook, Line… item desc in the supply menu rn lol

• uhhhhhhhhhhh tell me if there’s more

CREDITS

Assets from:
Levin
Laurent Lacroix
BuskHusker
Lenh
autonima
sqrtpi
Monkeybard
ZessDynamite
CapybarainSpace
Raymond
GaryTop
A Reliable Chair
hypergammaspaces
Runa
Kyo
SaXor The Nobody
Pikmin1211
Alusq
Ruby
Thomash Lee
Keikiru Kusanagi
Scott Mtc.
Runa
viejiux
Bloopy
Sme
Mariode
Kenpuhu
vialtoclef
Jay Reichard
Harlan
Wan
Abzel
Feier
Team SALVAGED
StreetHero
ArcaneEli
Blood
Leo Link
MeatOfJustice
RobertFPY
The Blind Archer
Iscaneus
Redbean
Maiser6
MageKnight404
Tsushi
Nuramon
Alfred Kamon
Spud
Blademaster
Jj09
Vlak
Atey
flasuban
SamirPlayz
eCut
Struedelmuffin
DerTheVaporeon
Greentea
Miguel-Rojo
L95
Eldritch Abomination
Rasdel
epicer
Jiege
CardCafe
XVI
Lisandra Brave
LordGlenn
Leif
Zelix
Scraiza
Orihara Saki
Camdar
Peerless
Jeorge Reds
GabrielKnight
Beansy
SacredStones
Ereshkigal
Vennobennu
WAve
Thunder Mage
Mikey Seregon
Itranc
Raspberry
Strudelmuffin
Ary
Arch
Seal
SHYUTERz
TopazLight
N426
ZoramineFae
pandan
RandomWizard
SSHX
Amyd
Permafrost
Archerbias
Ryan914

ASM from:
The Skill System Team (Circleseverywhere, Colorz, Primefusion, Tequila, Rossendale, StanH, Leonarth, Wan, Teraspark, Darrman, SD9k, Kao, blademaster, Snakey1, Zeta, Kirb, Sme, Ganzap, Pikmin1211, RobertFPY, Mikey Seregon)
Kirb
Colorz
Vennobennu
Circleseverywhere
Alusq
Aera
AuraWolf
StanH
Hextator
Agro
Ipatix
Brendor
Nintenlord
Pikmin1211
jjl2357
Zane Avernathy
Contro
Snakey1
Magrika is now Canon
Tequila
Sme
Gryz
hypergammaspaces
Shuusuke
Leonarth
PhantomSentine
GratedSchtick
Mokha
Runa
Tiki
Mikey Seregon
Huichelaar
Teraspark
Scraiza
Doesnt
MinN
Zeta
Mkol
Vesly
Retina

Special Thanks:
Runa (from Runa does a thing) for Buildfile help/letting me use her music
Pikmin1211 for Buildfile help
WarPath for Buildfile help (and helping me change stat colors)
hypergammaspaces for Buildfile help
Snek for Buildfile help
Pikmin1211 for Buildfile help (again)
Sme for Buildfile help
Contro for Buildfile help and ASM help and coding help and programming help and
Contro for Buildfile help (again)
Contro for Buildfile help (again)(again)
Contro for Buildfile help (again)(again)(again)
Contro for Buildfile help (again)(again)(again)(again)
Contro for Buildfile help (again)(again)(again)(again)(again)
Lenh for Buildfile help/Spriting help
BuskHusker for Spriting help
Tsushi for Spriting help
Wan for Spriting help
BobbyYukitsuki for Writing help and Playtesting
BobbyYukitsuki for Writing help (again)
BobbyYukitsuki for Writing help (again)(again)
pandan for Playtesting/inspiring me to use food names
GodsPetTurtle for Playtesting
Rivian for Playtesting
LegendofLoog for Playtesting
Zane Avernathy for Playtesting
ObsidianDaddy for Playtesting
VagueClive for Playtesting
ArcherBias for Playtesting
SubwayBossEmmett for Playtesting
Leche for Playtesting
Grand for Playtesting
Citrus for Playtesting
epicer for Playtesting
Xilirite for Playtesting
Strudelmuffin for Playtesting
Bloble for Playtesting
Roze for Playtesting
NightHawk8P for Playtesting
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting (but on Hard mode)
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting (but on Lunatic mode)
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting (but for Part 2)
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting (but for Part 2 Lunatic mode)
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting again
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting again again
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting again again (again)
alexpersonmanguy for Playtesting again again (again)(again)
darkdogdemon for being my IDEA GUY!!! :star:

City2KlavdiaMoment

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Note: It’s recommended to play on MGBA as the other emulators can cause strange issues to pop up.

89 Likes

t l p 5

8 Likes

Hack looks so good bro, super hyped for what comes next :eyes:

6 Likes

holy shit, this hack is finally out to the public. goated 4/20 release

i can’t wait to skip your gameplay so i can read your story!!!

4 Likes

Coolio

2 Likes

Affogato

6 Likes

What did you change about the magic and affinity systems exactly?

2 Likes

coffee lord :dizzy_face:

5 Likes

anima magic buffs, dark magic debuffs, light magic heals
affinities boost 2 stats each also i added a few more

1 Like

Lost 3 units to 1 Zanbato during a playtest 10/10

5 Likes

buildfiles how about build deez nuts

1 Like

:bread: :bread: :bread: :bread: :bread:

1 Like

is kelik in this hack

3 Likes

Started the demo and just have one thing to say right now: please remove enemy stat variation. I just noticed it when a reset prevented the armor from OHKOing a mage.

1 Like

This was fun to playtest. Hack def has a vibe.

I look forward to more scenes with King and the bird parson.

2 Likes

hello i updated the download link with v0.2

0.2 Changelog:
  • Added fixed auto-levels (removed enemy stat variation)
  • Moved certain warning events
  • Monk can promote correctly/has a palette lol
  • Buffed Skill/Luck boosters to +2
  • Nerfed stealable flier Spd
  • Slight enemy placement changes (Ch2, Ch6)
  • Ch2 is now Seize
  • Minor text fixes
  • Adjusted sword armor’s statline, slightly buffed sword cav
  • You can steal from your fellow green units (band-aid fix until i figure out green drops lol)

tell me if anything breaks thanks

1 Like

Anything that makes snow maps king is already SSS tier in my mind
that plus the snow friendly mugs has this in my top hacks of 2022. Best of luck with continued development!

3 Likes

Congrats for the release ! It looks already quite qualitative and I will be sure to try it whenever I have some time :smile:

1 Like

this hack feels and looks pretty nice, good music also, the amount of care and detail is pretty impressive, congrats. How do I get 1-1X though?

1 Like

sorry, 1-1x being in the guide is an error. the chapter isn’t actually finished (there’s no dialogue or anything like that). i’ll probably add it in the next non-bug fix patch. :+1:

5 Likes