[FE8] [COMPLETE] Iron Emblem (v1.3.1, Full-Length) RR Out!

mmmmmip.emulator-108

Yes, this name abbreviates to FeE. Call it that if you want.

Iron Emblem is a hack that is designed with the only playstyle being true ironman (never resetting to restart a chapter, and the run being completely over when you have a game over).

Every single unit is a generic, complete with covered eyes and identical mugs, and even no real names! They are all just as strong as the enemies, and nothing more, so using them may be a bit more difficult than the usual FE unit fare. The gameplay and setup of the hack were very inspired by my experiences with fe1/11.

The challenge, then, is making your way through all 21 chapters successfully while getting invested in this group of nobodies trying to make their way through a cruel and harsh world of bloodshed and war. I hope you enjoy!

I’d like to add that this hack was made in the span of about 1 month, and this wouldn’t have been possible without the immense help and support of so many people! This project was planned to have been completed in 1 week, but that obviously was a bit of a generous estimate, seeing how long it’s taken to come out now, haha. But regardless, please check the credits to see just who contributed to this project and thank them, since compared to all of them, I’ve barely done anything, just compiled together all their work, and added just a bit of my own.

Download Link

Please note before downloading that this game has a special function where if you reset a map after losing/in the middle of playing, the game will automatically gameover next time you try to restart it. This is to encourage the player to play in an ironman way. There are also 2 versions, one with custom menus by WarPath, and one with vanilla FE8 menus. Please pick whichever version you think may suit you better.

TO CLARIFY: YOU CAN SUSPEND AND RESUME, OR RESTART CHAPTER IF YOUR LAST SAVE WAS IN PREPARATIONS. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BEAT THE GAME IN ONE SITTING OR USE SAVESTATES.

Ok for Real

Please note that Hard Mode is relatively untested and Normal Mode is the intended experience.
download link

Story

The story is a simple tale of a small group of soldiers from the southern country of Boreal winning minor victories in their war with Austral, and the events that transpire on their quest to help the war effort. Along the way, they grow in numbers, strength, and acclaim, eventually performing one last act of heroism.

Features

Units send their items to the convoy upon death

50 total units obtainable throughout the game

20 chapters and 1 gaiden to play

All the usual Quality of Life improvements (Health Bars, DangerRadius, Growths Display, etc.)

A couple new classes

Cool helmets for every playable AND boss! This counts, right?

Screenshots:
AAAAA-3AAAAA-5
mmmmmip.emulator-88mmmmmip.emulator-89
mmmmmip.emulator-90mmmmmip.emulator-91
mmmmmip.emulator-92mmmmmip.emulator-93

Credits link

Known Issues

Sometimes things in preps bug out, this is because of unit names being too long and is strictly visual. You shouldn’t get any gameplay issues from this.
Character endings are broken, will be fixed soon!
Please check the guide!
This hack isn’t being updated anymore.

Thanks to pandan for the idea for the hack, I had a lot of fun putting it into practice.

79 Likes

mmmmmip.emulator-88

40 Likes

I’ve never been more emotionally attached to a character than 24th Sqd 2.

16 Likes

24th sqd 4 thooo

9 Likes

Pretty wild to see this come together so quickly, especially when it started with:

I was wrong about the charm piece, generics in iron man are tragically beautiful. We’ll never know their true names, but we will remember their sacrifice :pray:

Big kudos on putting this all together, Relic. The hack is cool and I had fun playtesting. Looking forward to giving it a proper run.

16 Likes

their names are clearly right there. Commander, 24th Sqd 1, 24th Sqd 2, Grunts 3…

9 Likes

24th squad one is my spirit anima;

3 Likes

Iron Emblem is super polished and charming, although I say that while being unable to beat the 7th chapter in testing… :stuck_out_tongue:
But what I have played and have seen is worth experiencing, not even FE 11 is quite like it.
Here’s a hint from a playtester: Use armors, they are epic.

8 Likes

I will never forgive myself for getting greedy during playtesting and trying to get a boss kill with my Trainee unit only to miss the 85% and get instantly punished.
Can’t wait to play this finished version once I recover from too-much-GBA.

8 Likes

This is exactly what I need in my life

3 Likes

In classic fashion, there have been some pretty big bugs that I have immediately patched out! The biggest one is the lord’s promoted class being weak to horseslayers, which is a terrible oversight on my part. Please repatch, as I’ve updated the op link with a fixed version. Terribly sorry that I forgot to fix such a crucial thing.

8 Likes

@Relic Thank You for this hack it was fun.

4 Likes

Started playing this yesterday and lost on Chapter 9. Had Captain attack an enemy with a lance, but forgot to trade him the axereaver so he wouldn’t take as much damage on Enemy Phase. It’s a shame, cause I was really looking forward to promoting my mercenary.

The MVP

Anyways, I had such a good time that I decided to start another run today! Currently on Chapter 4 and haven’t lost anybody, already doing better than last time. I’ll probably post again once I’ve finished to give some more complete thoughts, but this has been tons of fun so far.

3 Likes

I’ve discovered a pretty bad bug where the convoy will fill up with empty items seemingly at random. Only one person has reported this so far, but I’m looking into a fix. It seems to be very rare, but let me know if it happens to you, and maybe send over your save.
Hopefully, since it seems to be very uncommon, you shouldn’t have to worry about it, but it’s something to look out for.

(I’ve uploaded a version that fixes not this bug, but a couple others, and turns down ch3’s difficulty since it seems like a lot of people have way too much trouble with that. Happy playing!)

1 Like

Made an account to ask about the soft locking on every level. Is there any way that can be removed or be an optional feature? The hack is fun but the doom cavalry as early as turn 12 is just unnecessary imo.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll be sure to consider that about the cavalry, but unfortunately the soft locking feature is an integral part of the game and there are no plans to remove it. I apologise if this prevents you from getting into the game, but it’s part of the gimmick and experience I wanted to go for. I appreciate you playing as much as you did!

EDIT: I’ve also updated the OP link with a couple more fixes, including minor nerfs to ch5’s difficulty and fixing the S rank lance. I can keep these sorts of updates coming as long as I receive feedback, so let me know if there’s something egregious.

2 Likes

THE ENTIRE CAST HAS COVERED EYES YESSSSSSSS

This game is calling my name. I have no choice but to answer the call and try it for myself.

5 Likes

So good to know the convoy bug isn’t intentional. Been working around that in all my plans, cool. One thing that I have been irked on is the chapter 11x. There should either be 1 of 2 things happening. 1 is the enemies should give exp or 2 less fliers. 2 is more so my own nitpick but like really, in such a congested area with squads of units that are hard to bait out, is it really necessary? Idk if the exp thing was fixed but yeah the concept is cool but in practice its just not fun. Enjoying this hack all in all though this is the unluckiest I’ve been in any fire emblem game and I have 0 idea why

EDIT: Lowkey I think you should figure out what causes the inventory thing and make it a feature but only allow like 5 or 10 items to be stored, would be neat since what lore is there for a generic group to have a royalty sized convoy. That might just be me though

Sorry that you ran into the convoy bug! I’m going to try something as a fix, but the issue is that it will break saves and might not even work, so I’m unsure when I should release it, since it might come alongside other fixes that people might want to apply to their currently going saves. Let me know any specifics on when the inventory broke that might let me understand what causes it better.

On this, it’s a cool idea, but I’d rather keep quality of life than artificially reduce the convoy size for a sense of realism.

I just realized that units who have died get their inventory sent to the convoy. Thats about the only lead I got on the bug, sorry. Perhaps I’ll tinker with it when I am done or when I lose this current run (although really don’t mind the bug as mentioned before, some people may find it annoying)