[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

They do but don’t worry I already explained to him.

I’ll admit I went hard into this game sometime in the early fall and I got to about ch32 before putting it down and not coming back. I’m hoping I can try and pick it back up, either as a new game or just where I left off.
If I’m being honest this might be one of the cleanest hacks out there right now. The story is really good and I mostly know how things end though I have not peeked at any paired endings or all of the supports. As someone who likes to do spriting, I really adore some of these designs, both visually and in terms of character. Everyone looks really professional and executed really well, and I like the variation.

Some characters that I ended up using to a great degree were Vagelis, Helga, and Zoya. Characters that I just personally liked were Osane, Freyja, and Otilie, even if they are not always the most optimal choices. Some people say Osane can fall off but she outgrew any other mage character I recruited. Freyja is admittedly paper-thin and her STR could be better but I just like her in general. Otilie I think is the best Rogue/thief, and that having two rogues on most maps can be SUCH a quality of life that comes at the cost of some unit-killers. If I do re-start the game I might consider investing into Maelle. In my current run Dewi (another fav) was already thriving so I did not see the need to level a troubadour at such a late point, but I like her design and color pallet. Bosco is another unit I would love to try growing up too.

But yeah, I tend to be a chronic procrastinator and I always put games down in the final hour. Call it a fatal flaw. I’ll get back to it all eventually. In the meantime, be really proud of what you have made. I meant it when I said this is one of the best fangames I’ve seen so far.

4 Likes

Figured you might find it neat that someone made this fellow Pan. ~Hack~ Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (Game Boy Advance) - RetroAchievements

3 Likes

Huh I’ve never seen this before. Looks neat, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Happy to do so. RA is really cool.

1 Like

Big thank you to @Kyrads for leading the charge on a reverse recruitment patch. I’ve yet to play it myself, but some of the changes are neat.

This is available here and under “Links” in the first post.

Link to Reverse Recruitment patch by Kyrads

9 Likes

Am curious about one thing why some characters only have 3 skills some have 5 skills can anyone explain

Every character gets a personal skill. Every class except thieves gets a new skill at level 15.

Mono weapon classes and rogues get a skill at level 5 promoted.

Most of the “skills” you see are just visualizing things vanilla FE8 classes have, which is why some have more than others.

Sibei power bro thanks alot man

I thought it would be like code of the black knights with 6 skills

That would be a bit overkill if you ask me, plus it would make the game even more broken than it was before.

Still a wonderful game though just noticed the format is somewhat like radiant dawn

Sorry jsut a question, when I completed the game they will be a hang after the epilogue during the turns and time (1-32)

Anyone knows why?

Not sure - it’s been a while. Epilogue is pretty funky iirc.

Also, I am doing an AMA on a Chinese hacking forum. Very keen to speak with members of the CN community. One of their members reached out about a translation and I’m excited to see VQ translated into Chinese.

3 Likes

Thought folks here may be interested in this - a blog author played VQ and wrote a few posts about their experience. This particular one caught my attention and thought would be worth sharing here:

I always find it interesting to see others analyze the writing and themes of any work, but seeing it for your own work is surreal.

More interesting to me is reading about what others saw that I didn’t in my own writing over 4 years ago when I started working on the script. It’s a neat interpretation.

Speaking of which, the here’s footage from the oldest surviving build of VQ that’s dated roughly 4 years to the day:

VQ’s “”“official”“” 4th birthday is in May when the hack first released and celebrates 2 years [complete]. Wild stuff.

Thanks everyone.

15 Likes

Vision Quest is now available in Mandarin. Big thank you to @Gonzales for leading the translation effort.

很多谢。我很感激!

9 Likes

That’s amazing! I’m so happy for you!

I can’t wait to play it someday. I will be very curious to see how much of it I’ll be able to understand😬

1 Like

Ha I ask myself the same thing. This will be good practice when I next try playing! I haven’t run through VQ in a long time, but my next run will likely be this version.

1 Like

Is there any actual way of obtaining the Slagzwaard in chapter 1-3, or is it just there to tease you? The Boogjacht is, comparatively, rather easy to obtain, so I was wondering if I was missing something relatively “obvious”. I’ve attempted stealing every single vulnerary off of every enemy to resell it, but even that doesn’t bring me close. Ironically, not even selling said legendary bow gets you close to it, and selling all of my weapons seems like it would make the game unplayable. And Larisa’s dad doesn’t make discounts for his daughter, apparently.

There is a way I believe, you’d have to sell everything you own, but you’re not intended to buy it.