[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

I definitely like Perseus the way it is. Especially since it’ll be fun for the player to use in the coming prequel :eyes:

3 Likes

It’s been a long, long time coming, but here it is:
My Four Kings review.

2 Likes

Man, just as I was about to make a new update to coincide with the prequel… Timing never seems to work out for me around here.

As for your review, if you hated the game, just say so. No point in trying to be “polite” like you were being in your review. It’s already clear to me that most people on FEU don’t like the game. My only real question is what difficulty you played on, since normal mode is recommended for your first playthrough (the update I’m making is going to make normal mode promoted enemies a bit stronger for the record, since they’re kinda pathetic right now), while hard mode is what I used to design the game and better suited to experienced players or replays. But judging by your review, you probably played on hard mode.

1 Like

No matter how harsh they are, reviews are still helpful, you know. Even the scariest and the nastiest of them can still have constructive points inside. There is no need to have this aggressive response.

Dude, it’s 100% clear that not everyone is gonna like your game. Everyone has their own preferences and all, and at least-- be grateful that Telos gave a review. Who knows if he talks shit about your hack behind your back? The fact that he gave his review and posted it on this thread will mostly benefit you as the hack creator.
Even Telos said this in his review in the first page:

And I can’t say Telos’ review is 100% irrefutable either.
Personally, I don’t really like how you mostly form your sentence in your reviews, Telos. They mostly started on a nice base, but then you didn’t exactly end it with something… meaningful. It’s just there, like for example your comments about stability here:

You didn’t really explain why or where does the game throws bullshit at you, and you also didn’t offer any solution on this problem you had in your playthrough. You only mentioned problems, yet you don’t state why they are issues or go into detail as to how they are unfair for the player to deal with.

Additionally, because these points are so broad, you don’t offer any constructive feedback to Krash that would help remedy these issues. It comes across like you’re complaining.

I don’t think this problem only occurs on this review. I read some of your reviews and most of them have similar issues. For example, you generally are able to pinpoint where something can be improved or needs fixing, but you don’t offer any information as to what specifically causes it, or why it is an issue at all. This makes myself as a reader unable to understand what the core of the problem is that you’re trying to show here, especially in this review since I haven’t finished playing 4K. Good feedback should be useful, specific, and precise. As a reader and a fellow creator, it’s hard to make sense of what I could do to make this a better experience.

I hope these can help you two with what you’re doing. Please do note that I say all of this as a member of the community observing this, and not as a moderator. Thank you!

18 Likes

Oh right, I finished this hack a couple months ago.
Final thoughts: Making every unit viable is fun, universal signature weapons are OP, Locritus should’ve been at least slightly better than “Ronan with wings”, I wish every hack could integrate unlimited C and B supports, and Vergil is the most obnoxious piece of plagiarism I’ve ever seen in a romhack.
And you maybe should’ve planned for people to find Vin’s routine overdone (and kinda tainted ever since Lon’qu) and prefer Zoe with Terry or Cindy.

1 Like

Alright, to coincide with Four Kings: Deposition, the prequel that I released two weeks ago, I’ve made a new update to Four Kings! The patch link in the main post has been updated accordingly. Below is a full list of changes I made. The big ones were adding in prequel characters as bosses, and making normal mode promoted enemies stronger (they were pathetic before), as well as a bunch of little things here and there. Enjoy!

Summary

X Change promotion music
X Increase normal mode promoted enemies promotion level by 7
X Luceil +10 HP +2 all other stats
X Ron +2 defense, +2 HP, +10% defense growth
X Sniper enemy class growths -4% speed
X Sarah, Candace, Marcie updated portraits
X Give Orville Eclipse instead of Bolting, he now drops his Fortify
X Fortify chest in chapter 20 now contains the Auris, an S rank sword
X Buff horseslayer
X Change Nicole’s solo ending
X Make vulns and pure waters buyable in preps
X Remove hurry up reinforcements in chapters 13 and 17
X Lessen chapter 11 myrm reinforcements
X Reduce reinforcements in chapter 14, chapter 15
X Make Jack and Ladon move towards the player in chapter 15
X Remove left bolting sage in chapter 18
X Add Sarah/Colt and Jeremy/Hoff supports
X Save command is no longer the top one
X Change Alicia’s personal weapon to Sagittae
X Steel swords now give 2 wexp
X Name the northern Behanzin mountains and the Behanzin desert
X Name the capitals after people who were important to the kings
X Edit chapter 2 ending scene
X Make Ava forced and Walter/Lionel benched in chapter 9, rewrite 9 and 10 accordingly
X Cielo, Colt, Hoff, Jeremy, Gideon, and Luceil now get force deployed in preps in their join maps
X Edit chapter 8 starting scene to use the chapter 19 map
X Regis now joins with a Fimbulvetr
X Edit chapter 15 end event scene with Feran
X Add scene at the start of chapter 15, Ava and Zach talking over waystones
X Edit chapter 19 ending scene
X Add all the prequel characters and assorted boss conversations for them, also Lydia/Ian convo
X Change chapter 26 Zoe and Vin cutscene so it only happens if they have an A support, make them both fight
X Restructure chapter 26 top section

7 Likes

Amazing , will start a playtrough of the prequel and this 1 as soon as i finish The Road to Ruin. cant w8, looks good.

1 Like

so basically daltry takes the auris and just stuffs it in some chest…yeah no wonder this guy loses in the rebellion.

1 Like

Hey man, he doesn’t have a good magic stat to use it :stuck_out_tongue:
I guess Holland would use it well but she doesn’t have the sword rank for it.

2 Likes

Just make sure to play the prequel after beating Four Kings instead of before it! That’s how you’re supposed to view the story.

2 Likes

Damn, just when i was near the end of the previous version. Whelp, time to finish it, then do it again after the prequel.

As per some criticism my only gripe has been with status staves having 100% accuracy, and personally thinking the enemies equipment upgrading just a little too fast. Maybe mix up some of the gear on the constructs, like brave weapons on the promotes and silver weapons on the unpromoted ones. Especially with how the AI loves to gang up with brave weapons, and maybe not put them on berserkers and swordmasters so they don’t randomly double crit screw the player over.

Otherwise I’ve been enjoying myself.

1 Like

hey bad magic can go a long way if you go bonk bonk bonk with crits

2 Likes

Fire Emblem - The Four Kings 12-28-20 patch_01
Fire Emblem - The Four Kings 12-28-20 patch_02
Fire Emblem - The Four Kings 12-28-20 patch_03
Fire Emblem - The Four Kings 12-28-20 patch_04

These… just wrong…
how could it possible to play these map with these weak things?

1 Like

Uh… What do you mean? The trial maps are designed around the units you’re given and the stats they have, so they can handle the stuff that’s in their maps. The reason they’re all level 20 is because I just needed an easy way to prevent them from leveling up in the maps.

3 Likes

I know imma get cussed out for this but… is there a 100% growth version of this hack?

1 Like

No, you will have to make that yourself.

2 Likes

Just finished this the other day, I’ve been intrigued by the premise for a while now (I love personal weapons). All in all, I had a lot of fun with this game, and even though I like a good challenge, part of this was probably by playing on normal. What I appreciate a lot is that every unit has it’s use and WILL be used in the mid part of the game. Very good job with making the different characters, even the “boring prepromotes”, stand out.

1 Like

Here’s some scattered thoughts about the game if it’s not too late. First time writing something like this. I finished this hack before the June 2021 patch, so just tell me if something’s been fixed.

Story

The story was pretty simple and told in a simple way, something I’m really thankful for after playing hacks that try to tell this epic story on the same scale as some triple a games or god-forbid novels. Lionel and Walter had a good dynamic, though I cannot help but feel Lionel got a short stick due to less supporting characters like Landon, Ava, Jack and even Nichol to an extent on Walters side. Zach isn’t supposed to be an open book, or even an expressive one, but I did feel as though Lionel could use more interaction with people to challenge his beliefs or teach him new ones, I think Jeremy and Sarah could have played much bigger roles in that respect by lecturing him on moving past mistakes and working tooth and nail for a future he wants like the two of them tried to do.

Speaking of Lionel being a bit lesser, his realization should have been more focused on the idea of him being less of a little bitch. With Walter, his pig headed-ness causes a strain on both his relationships with Lionel and the army, so him rectifying that and willing to make up afterwards is satisfying. But Lionel’s issues are separate since he’s kinda justified in nagging Walter at every turn, whereas his constant worry about past mistakes isn’t and should be a priority to correct. His primary lessen should be that he should be able to let more shit go, including Walter’s faults no matter how grave since Lionel’s approach isn’t helping, instead of thinking that Walter had a point cause he never really did. Re-reading some early dialogue, yeah Lionel was always starting fights and causing rifts, and I don’t think he should get off scot-free and not apologize. Plus, the apology scene was really nice and fufilling after the entire story, maybe a bit more for me since I’ve siblings as well.

Terril was alright, and the extra chapter framing him as coward was good, but he felt outside the story compared to the other brothers, with his relationship to them being undeveloped, but I guess that’s fine given his join time and position in universe. I don’t get why Wilson joined the party, since he’s the sole defender of his island, very devoted, and then dips for someone who helped him out once. I like the Mercenary showcase in the beginning and I almost wish every character non-plot relevant was just a mercenary that showed up there. I can even see a prologue chapter that uses all of them before they leave due to Walter’s inane leading skills, but that’s personal wishes. I didn’t care about most characters who didn’t show up in the plot, but I remember Locritius, Jeremy, Sarah, Jack, and Nichol well-enough for their bit parts and I really liked all four main leads.

Feran is another story. He’s pretty weak over all, with little presence, an obvious twist reveal as a villain, using nameless puppets as soldiers instead of people, and having his entire backstory and plan explained by Zach in an exposition dump. There’s no way to see or guess what’s up with him before the big text wall on a first, and many’s only, play-through, making Feran a very light weight villain. I can’t comment on the two revolution leaders since I haven’t played the prequel. In base, they’re both more forgettable than Ian, but then again, so was half the playable cast so perhaps that’s not saying much.

Finally Teodros. I wish he died. It would have been a more satisfying ending for Ava to make the queen’s life on her own and complete Walter’s arc as he needs to play into a typical prince role with all the manners he use to avoid in order to help Ava rule. He’s alright as a final boss. I liked Lionel’s ending. Not much to say about it, but it felt very in character and appropriate for his internal struggle of not having any particular boons.

Gameplay

I bit more mixed here. I only had issues in certain segments with the story and liked it overall, but I have significant issues with actually playing this thing. I’ll try to skip things you’ve heard a lot like hating brave weapons on enemies or liking personal weapons. My biggest issue is in mid game with the seemingly fetish for long range stuff. Siege tomes, status staffs, balasti, and 8 move reinforcements out the wazoo, on every map. Never insignificant either, with all damage being high thanks to a lot of units having low bulk and status staves overlapping in range and being 100% accurate. It made the entire mid-game a slog to go through since I had to bait out enemies so they and the long range couldn’t hit me in the same turn.

This was only made worse by the reinforcements that show up to force the player to move quickly. These can be pretty dividing on whether they’re good or bad as a hurry up mechanic. I say they’re bad since fire emblem punishes enough with time commitment and permanent loss of player character for being bad, 4k especially since each character has potentially useful personal, so more punishment is unnecessary, especially since there is zero potential gain aside from weapon rank.

I’m sad Emily cannot double the final boss even at capped speed. This has no bearing or reason, I just think it would be funny.

Exp distribution is kinda weird. The mid and early game seem to prioritize you using everyone and their niches, causing exp to be thin among most units. Then the late game and endgame ramp up the enemy difficulty hard, leading to a lot of units falling off quickly due to low power and serviceability. The lords and pre-promotes from reunion onward are fairly strong, so there’s no chance at a soft lock, but kinda sucked seeing my best units on both sides being one rounded, usually without a chance for a second attack due to brave weapons.

Map size is an issue for me and others. Too many of the 4k maps are large sprawling battlefield with long play times. The battle saves are good until Walter retakes the capital in which they freeze the game and force you to restart, leading the player to never trust them again, but even if that didn’t happen they can only save up to so much progress. I wish I had more to say, but really I just found it tedious by the end. This does sort of fix my exp issue in theory, but that didn’t happen in game and I still stand by it being too much, especially when combined with my previous three issues.

If possible, this hack needs a casual mode. Units returning next chapter and all. It would play into the exp problem, making units stupid weak if you can’t keep them around enough to level up, while downplaying the overpowered-ness of long range, sprawling maps, and pointless punishment reinforcements for the slow. This game seems to want everyone alive anyway so their personals can always be used, so I think it would be a fine way to add a bit less tediousness into the hack without sacrificing the original unit and enemy balance. I don’t know if this mode is possible on ROM hacks though.

I think I missed something in the final battle. I used like 6 re-warps to rescue drop Lionel and Zach over to the boss and rescue staffs and dances to get Walter, finally killing with Sally’s Bolting. You’re probably supposed to solve this another way, maybe close the gate or something, but if you cannot and must kill Teodros before he leaves, that’s also a bad final map. I missed something though, I’m practically certain.

That’s all. It’s sort of scattered about the things I remembered most. I think the hack overall is good, but anyone going in blind should prepare to spend some time on these chapters. I enjoyed my time playing through the Four Kings and highly recommend it. Sorry if my phrasing is boring/repetitive, I’ll try and get better or explain things more thoroughly in the future.

1 Like

So some of this stuff was addressed in the recent update, such as reducing reinforcements in a bunch of maps. You can see the full changelog if you scroll up a little bit and get an idea of how much your experience would be improved.

On save points occasionally bugging out, I tried to test this a lot but it was always inconsistent so I don’t know why they would break. Thankfully it was extremely uncommon, but it’s still irritating. I am wholly against casual mode though. I don’t think that belongs in this game.

I like big maps. That’s clearly a minority opinion on FEU. FE6 is my favorite in the series and I love how its maps are designed, since they’re really big with objectives spread out for you to pursue, and make great use of rescue. They also don’t have very high enemy density, keeping enemies bundled together in groups with space in between them. That’s the kind of map I like, and it’s what I designed a lot of my maps to be like.

The late game is mostly designed as a “pick your favorites” part of the game. You’ve spent 20 chapters using everybody and getting a feel for who you like, now you can use whoever struck a chord with you or turned out the best. You don’t have to bench people if you don’t want to, since chapters 23 and 24 are a good opportunity to give any units a last-minute boost.

You were really really close about the final battle. The final boss is heading for the gate to escape, and Zoe’s parents mention that they could close the gate. If Zoe or Zachary talk to them (which you can see in their stat screen under the Talk section), then the gate will be closed and the final boss will become aggressive. The map was designed such that there are two different approaches to it: go up the safer right side to close the gate, which is slower, or go through the harder middle path to kill the final boss before he escapes, which is faster but more difficult.

Overall the game was designed to be pretty challenging with similar difficulty to FE6. Normal mode is best suited for blind players, and it’s recommended in the difficulty select screen too.

2 Likes

Is it possible to know what kinds of Alternate Promotions for this patch ahead or just leave it as a surprise for us to find out? Just curious.

1 Like