[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Hope's Trail (1.32)

Hey, found another bug on another run. The anti-turtling event in Chapter 7 happens unchanged even when the boss is already dead.

1 Like

Can save files be transferred to the new version?

1 Like

Yeah, as long as the .sav files and the ROM is named the same you shouldn’t have an issue, alternatively make a savestate in the prep menu on the old version, manually load it in the new version and restart the chapter.

2 Likes

I completed Chapter 3, I’m a bit of a slowgoing player so I might only do one or two chapters a day. I like survival missions where you get swarmed, and I enjoyed this chapter. I just barely scraped by this one deathless as well, and managed to get all the Red-roofed houses, but neither chest. Only house I didn’t get was the one in the top far right, but that was a non-red house so I’m not bothered. I’m getting a nice roster of units now. Fingers crossed.

The only thing I see wrong with the chapter is the Priest in the top left, who has a physic staff. He doesn’t seem to have the AI to use it, because he went the entirety of the chapter without healing a single enemy unit, he just advanced on my units like he had generic attack AI. This caused him to bodyblock his own reinforcements and forced them into a neat funnel for me to mow down. Real team player, that one.

Also, I’d say the boss spawns really far back, and far too late. He doesn’t even have time to reach the center of the map before the chapter ends. I guess it’s an extra challenge to get a thief in for his loot, but he’s definitely not going to hurt anyone unless you’re going after him.

Overall a good mission that is both a survival mission and a ‘restocking’ mission to get supplies.

1 Like

That’s odd, the ch3 priest has AI set to heal enemies with less than 50% HP. Is it possible you just never left any enemies alive that low? I’ll try and test to see what’s up with him.

1 Like

Oh, below 50%? I probably never left an enemy lingering around with hp that low. Though I don’t have perfect recollection, I just found it odd that he’d never top off nearby enemies that had taken a hit during enemy phase.

1 Like

So far I’m really enjoying this. I just need to learn to get out of my resetting habits (especially since it seems to change what units I get in the map i’m on) but besides that and me being bad at fire emblem in general, it’s alot of fun.

1 Like

imo the issue with Artemia is that her hp is high and her crit rate is above 15%, meaning that even with Fury there’s a small chance she’ll eat through all of your units. :sob: If you pick Rella or Avery as your starter and they’re still alive she’s not too big a deal though, even if it makes the rest of the map a bit difficult if you’re putting your starter plus 1-2 other units to deal with her. There is, of course, the option of just letting the two recruits down bottom just die horribly in exchange. lol. I guess it’s a meaningful choice, just feels bad…

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’ve played on 1.06, but my hope is that reducing her atk and spd by 1 in the most recent update should significantly expand the pool of characters that can survive a round of combat, even if she crits. I know even before the update that Densel (axe starter) could usually tank her if you gave him the angelic robe, but your options for dealing with her should be more flexible now.

I just got through chapter 4. I didn’t realize the gimmick of the stage while I was preparing, and because I refused to reset the stage and defile my first-try status, it wound up being a serious slog.

Peak Gameplay

So because I didn’t realize the stage was going to start flooding, I got half of my squad got trapped in the bottom right corner.

When the game prompted me to ‘hit the switch to reveal a new path’ I thought this was an alternate win condition, like it’d be something to undo the Aspect’s mind control, or a stairway that leads to a Gaiden Chapter where you fight the person that brainwashed her, because I was under the impression that Aspects are really important to the balance of the universe and it might not be a good idea to kill one. So my bottom squad all goes for the switch and then the water rises and they all get trapped there because I didn’t bring in my thief or a door key. When they hit the switch, and the only thing that happens is that the pillar near the center of the stage disappears, boy was I really confused. It was only when the stage was flooding that the relevance of that little path reveal itself, and I was like “OOOOH! When it said ‘path’ it meant a LITERAL path!”

So now that bottom squad is in jail, it’s up to the top squad to solo the entire map, fortunately Top Squad has Dallas with Fury and he’s amply able to one round all the strong enemies around the map.

I was quite surprised when this Juno character shows up and starts going for Bottom Squad, but I lure Juno in and then block her off with a Light Rune, wasting her time just long enough for Top Squad to get their shit together and prepare for her. Dallas can thankfully tank Juno’s hit and strikes back for like half her hp. If the RNG gods weren’t on my side this could have turned out real badly, but Iris the dancer got the killing blow on her.

So, after hurrying around the map grabbing all the loot, and killing all the reinforcements, I’m stuck in a really precarious situation.

With the entire map flooded, the only strat I can think of to tackle the boss is to Pure Water up Leth my Dark Mage and plant her in front of the boss, letting herself get hit until she breaks the boss’s Bara tome.

That chapter wound up being kinda frustrating with having to slog through it handicapped due to my inability to see the future, but I was just prepared enough that I managed to still win on my first try deathless.

So yeah that was kinda exhausting, guess I’ll save chapter 5 for tomorrow. I hope you don’t mind me going through each chapter as I play them, I’d like to commit my opinions to words while they’re still fresh in my head; especially for a game like this where each chapter is such a serious challenge.

1 Like

I don’t mind at all, please keep them coming! I love hearing people’s thoughts on each level so I can know what aspects of the design are working and which ones aren’t. Good job salvaging that level despite the setbacks.

1 Like

1.07 changelog

BALANCE CHANGES:

• Crow and Ash gain +1 base defense. These two were designed before I decided to split cav weapon types, and I feel like they’ve been slight underperformers since then.
  • The ch3 and ch5 enemy healers now have Mend instead of Physic.

BUGFIXES:

• Enemies in the same group as a healer will now enter recovery mode at 30% HP so that they can properly receive healing.
  • If the Ch7 boss is killed before turn 6, a different cutscene will occur.

Phenomenal hack. Just beat my first run on hard, and I was screaming at my screen as the final battle took place. Well done!

2 Likes

I will say, I found the final fight to be insanely difficult, probably about five times as much as I was expecting.

I don’t think it’s possible without a dancer, or I should say, I don’t think my comp could have possibly beat Nus without a dancer, which may present a problem for some runs as they aren’t guaranteed from what I understand. The main issue was him having both Renewal and Wrath. You need to attack him with a full team (I was 13/14 going into the map, because Hard mode is Hard), play the last map perfectly and lose no one, have a dancer, and have a very good Light user or you have no chance.

The final blow was dealt when I had three units left - my Fire Emblem user, Krun’zak (with Provoke), Mana the dancer, and a Kalti the Trickster with the scroll that lets anyone use Light magic, letting her heal twice because of Powerstaff, get danced, and attack. Krun soaked hits, and I whittled the boss down, but I had to use roughly 7 heal staves (Kalti had Supply). I also cheesed 2/4 of the zombie dragons with Curtis and bolting crits, so I got lucky there.

It felt good to win, but also if I didn’t have that exact comp, I would have lost. I would expect in the current iteration of the hack, on Hard, most teams would just fall apart on the last battle.

1 Like

I agree a dancer is probably mandatory on the higher difficulties. I’m not sure if you’ve read through the documentation, but the encounter where you recruited Mana is always guaranteed to give you a dancer (there’s 3 ‘main dancers’ with different rally skills and weapon ranks), and if that dancer dies you will receive a weaker backup dancer with no rally or weapon ranks. So, players have some leeway to mess up before they’ll find themselves with no dancer on the final map.

Three units left though is quite the tense finale, wow. Usually if I take heavy losses in the first part of the map I end up wiping, so well done keeping it together and finding a solution!

I see, good to know re: dancers. That was a smart failsafe you made, making sure there’s always one available. I read the documentation but didn’t read through all the characters because I wanted to do a “blind” Nuzlocke style run. Very fun!

As far as taking losses on the final map on Hard/Ironman - because there’s no main lord I didn’t have the option to “reset” if I lost a specific unit, but it could definitely be done safely with savestates or just resetting if specific characters die. I’m not sure how good the elemental gods are, because besides the the dark user they all spawned in extremely compromised positions and went down before Nus became active. Playing on strict Ironman rules, it does seem like Revolution is designed to have major losses in the first half of the map, which I like.

I’ll be trying a Lunatic playthrough today, any tips?

For Lunatic, don’t be afraid to give up chests and EXP houses if it means getting through the chapter with more units alive. The enemies are noticeably more threatening, so you will get punished for trying to do too much at once.

Sometimes you will need to cut your losses and accept a death or two, instead of trying to salvage an unsalvageable situation (which may lead to more deaths or a wipe).

Spend a lot of time in the prep screen of each map figuring out how to allocate seals, weapons, runes, skills, and statboosters. Hoarding is not a good idea, you will need every advantage you can get as soon as you can get it, so figure out which of your units need a boost to reach certain thresholds and then give them the resources needed to hit those thresholds.

2 Likes

Good tips. I think I’ll also be promoting at 10 this time, as waiting until 15 for hard mode was too long, and a few people died waiting.

1 Like

I beat Chapter 5. That was pretty interesting and straightforward, though my team comp probably made it easier than it could have been.

Summary

Marina, my Pegasus Knight, is the MVP of the chapter. She has Swordbreaker and can trivialize pretty much any sword-wielding unit. I also gave her the Pass Scroll, which was vital for winning.

I have a few Master Seals at this point, but I’ve been reluctant to use them because my growths have been extremely blessed thus far, and I don’t want to slow down my EXP gains. Marina in particular is popping off on nearly every level up, despite the listed mediocre growth rates:

I expect Marina and Dallas to be able to make it to 20. Fingers crossed.

I split the team, one going north and another going west, and was able to get to mop up and get the majority of the droppable items, and the two towns on the north portion of the map. I would have had to really hauled ass to get the town the west side of the map I think.

I think I was going at the stage a bit too leisurely so when Nus showed up to get Perces to attack Von Krell, I had to really hurry up and get Marina into position to rush past the Druids and talk. I’m a little late however, and one of the Cavaliers is blocking Von Krell. I’m now presented with a little puzzle to figure out, and I do what I always do in a tough situation: look into my Supply and look for answers. I remember the Purge tome I got in the previous chapter, and see that Miriam the Valkyrie I just recruited has the weapon rank to use it, and she’s juuust in range. I trade-chain the Tome to her and she lands the clutch 80% hit on the guy that is blocking me, and Marina just comes in on and talks to Von Krell. Really tight win there, Von Krell is so badly outmatched that he was about to get killed, and I assume that if he dies then the objective turns into Routing all Enemies, which opens up more chances of making a mistake and losing units.

Pretty alright map, another chance to restock on supplies, I spent the entire 10,000 g I got on blinging fancy weapons. One more chapter deathless, but chapter 6, just from looking at it, does look like a serious challenge. I might need to relent on my moral compunction against early-promoting.

2 Likes

1.08 changelog:

• Fixed a strange, rare bug which would cause multiple dancers to join after chapter 3
  • Added a new Kira palette from Shark3143
1 Like