[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem Deity Device (Animation Bug Fix Released 3/19/2022)

Hi.
This hack is reallly amazing in term of soryline, chapter design, character and difficulty.
I’m at champter 21 and I0ve noticed that luke cannot use staves anymore. Is this a bug or is a game design?

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the compliment. The issue with Luke is definitely not normal. As no one has ever reported such a thing happening before, I have to ask if you used save data from the Part 1 2.0 patch to continue in the original release Part 2 patch as the two are not compatible. Staves in the original release had higher rank requirements to keep them from being swapped around, but in 2.0, I was able to implement staff locks.

Oh yes this should be the issue. But it’s only for luke so I will manag to end the game without him. Thank you.

Just be aware that I can’t promise how stable of an experience you might have going forward like that. Certain items might not be the right thing when units rejoin as well, and you won’t ever see Vincent again because he was added in 2.0. Not sure if you’ve ever used FEBuilder before, but if you want to use Luke you can try loading the game in Builder and lowering the weapon level requirements for Luke’s staves to zero. Though this might also cause problems as the recent FEBuilder updates have been doing odd things to the game the first time that their loaded after the update. I had to reinsert a portrait into both Part One and Part Two after the most recent update because its data was somehow broken. Not really sure what’s been going on with FEBuilder lately…

I know I’ve been taking a while to get the 2.0 release for Part 2 out, so I wanted to just give a small update to show some small things I’ve done to hopefully improve the game and add to the flavor.

Firstly, I’ve replaced all references to characters (except Orville) using staves and replaced it with “White Magic.”

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-23

And the staff icon has been replaced with a white magic icon.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-24

And all of the staves (again besides Orville’s Recover Staff) have received new icons.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-25

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-26

Beyond that, I’ve implemented a system to help keep track of effective damage. Spells and weapons that deal effective damage now have icons to represent what they deal effective damage to, and class descriptions have icons indicating what type of unit they are.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-27

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-32

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-33

Now if you ever had any trouble with the element system, you can match the icons to deal effective damage. And duel element spells will be more clearly labeled as such. PokeEmblem has never been easier.

Also the handful of bows that don’t do effective damage to fliers will be marked as such.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-28
The icon won’t display on its own for whatever reason, so I had to write a description.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-29

Monsters now also indicate whether they are Light or Dark aligned and the opposite will be effective. The general rule was always that undead were dark aligned and beasts were light aligned, but now it can be checked in game without targeting the monster.

Deity Device Part 2.emulator-5

I finally bothered to learn how to use Narrow Font as well, so the few instances of CamelCased items and abbreviated class names have been cleaned up.

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-35

I also figured out how to make a left facing quotation mark in the text editor, so no more ugly double right facing quotes.

Deity Device Part 2.emulator-3

Those probably aren’t the most exciting changes, but I thought that they were worth making. If you’ve finished the Part 1 2.0 patch and are waiting for Part 2 2.0, I ask that you please remain patient, and I hope that you won’t lose interest during the wait.

5 Likes

This may be too large a change to bother implementing, but have you ever looked into Tequilla’s text engine rework? It allows you to do things like 3 or 1 line textboxes, change fonts, bold and italicize text, and various other customization options. I know the script is a major part of your focus on this project, so I was curious if you’d already weighed the benefits of retroactively implementing it.

I wasn’t aware of that, but from just going over the README and watching the example gif, it looks like some pretty impressive stuff. At this point, getting the most out of it might amount to an entire script rewrite, so I don’t see myself taking that on right now. However, I might try making use of it in future projects. I also write all of the dialogue text in FEBuilder’s simplified mode, and using the text rework looks like it would take learning to write dialogue in the source text area, which I of course could do, but it would be a hurdle to get over before I could really make much progress with it. Though maybe FEBuilder will one day have editors built around Tequilla’s text engine like it does for the Skill System.

Lastly, the text area in Deity Device is kind of an ungodly mess. For some reason, editing in one text ID can “spill over” into another and random bits will just show up elsewhere, and deleting it there also deletes it in the area it’s supposed to be. Sometimes editing in other areas causes random strings of text to show up in unused text areas and deleting that text will break the ROM. The game runs fine, but if you loaded it into the text editor, you would see that it isn’t pretty. I really don’t know why that started happening, but the text area is very fragile, so I don’t want to do too much to it.

I do as well – you just have to add the dialogue tags at the end of each serif whenever you need to change things. It does have the unfortunate side effect of forcing you dismiss several errors from febuilder after each dialogue is modified, but after a short adjustment period, it’s pretty easy to use.

Obviously, not easy to implement this late into the development, especially given the issues you’ve described, but if you plan on doing more script-heavy work in the future, this is an incredibly powerful tool. Figured you’d be interested in it, in some capacity – it was definitely a game changer for my own project.

That aside, I’m excited to see progress on part 2 is progressing! Hopefully by the time I’ve got more free time on my hands, I’ll be able to return to a fully upgraded DD experience ^.^

1 Like

Hey everyone. I’ve had a few members of the community reach out with updated mugs of the characters in Deity Device. This has been greatly appreciated, and I honestly never imagined that the other users would volunteer their time to contribute to Deity Device. So I’d like to offer a big thank you to the community. Since there seems to be interest in this, I thought I would list the mugs that I have already been sent in order to prevent overlap.

Carson-Citrus
The Matriarch-Citrus
Adelle-knabepicer
Harold-knabepicer
Eponine-knabepicer
Genevieve-knabepicer
Victor-DainnOfGungnir/hypergammaspaces
Vincent-DainOfGungnir
Helen-LegendofLoog _All alts done.
Arachne-LegendofLoog/hypergammaspaces
Lucy-LegendofLoog
Luke-RandomWizard
Ivan-Sterling_Glovner
Orville-Sterling_Glovner _Alt Done.
Marius-MrGreen3339
Max-Relic
The Patriarch-Relic
Cosette-Scraiza

If you are interested in making a mug for Deity Device, feel free to message me or reply here. I’ll update this post to let others know which characters are being worked on. I’ll also be happy to answer any questions about the characters.

Please don’t take this like anyone should feel obligated to make a contribution. This is only for those who have some sort of interest in doing so.

Edit: Here is a list of characters who have some sort of alt mug that would need to be done alongside a revision for it to work (just so you know what you’re getting into):

Calista
Cosette-She also needs at least one free color in her main mug to accommodate two of her alts.
Glenn
Midge
Olga-Sort of
The Patriarch

Please message me for details if you don’t know/don’t remember what one of the alts was. A lot of them were pretty spoilery, so I don’t really want to list them here, even in a spoiler tab.

9 Likes

I saw a few of these and I got the bug to sprite for the first time in a long while.

I’m a scrubby artist and I was fortunate that folks were willing to lend a hand to clean up my rough concepts. I feel compelled to pay it forward, even if my own art skills are not really anything speical.

These def could use further clean up and fixing the frames a bit, but I thought I’d share my progress if anyone else in the community is willing to give it a go.

Gave her Ursula’s eyes and recolored a bit to make it look nicer in GBA. I wasn’t sure how to handle the hair and the shading though. Shading around the near eye and far side of her face needs some clean up, too, but I was struggling. I realized after posting I forgot to give FE8 outline too, so that’s my bad.

Something was up with the hair outline on the original. I also replaced the eyes but don’t know how to shade eyebrows so I covered it with some hair. I took the colors from new Victor that Dainn and Gamma worked on so I could match.

Deity device is an awesome project and I can’t wait to see it with spruced up art. I hope someone sees these and can help get them over the line since I am a n00b.

Permafrost - happy to help w/ map palette updates too if you need.

4 Likes

The scary thing is that Arachne always had Ursula’s face, eyes and all. You probably couldn’t tell because I did such a bad job of recoloring the eyes way back when I made her.

1 Like

Ha, that’s funny - I figured the angle matched up pretty well when I was perusing sprites. Guess now I know why!

1 Like

I really like this hack and I wanted to do something for it.
Portrait Editor Deity Device Part 1.gba_19@13 Ivan_01DAE0F8
Ivan was my MVP so I tidied up his sprite.

8 Likes

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for sending me all of the new portraits. I’ve been updating some of the battle sprites to reflect the new artwork.

helen_new

Helen Update

Deity Device Luke

Luke 1 Update
I’m still not sure if I’m keeping the white on this onw, but the promoted sprite came out good.

Luke Update

adelle

Adelle Update

victordeitydevice

Victor Update

vincentdeitydevice

Vincent Update

There’s more, but you get the idea. Thank you so much for all of the mugs. It really means a lot to me!

Another small thing. I recently put each part through FEBuilder’s rebuild feature to defragment them because the text editor was acting up in the same way that caused me to split the hack into parts in the first place. Adding Vincent’s Gaiden probably ate up whatever space was cleared. I couldn’t get the rebuild to work before the split. Everything seems to be working, and save data is still compatible, though save states are not.

The part of this that is significant for all of you is that this seems to have fixed the scratchiness in parts of the soundtrack. This is actually something I never heard until I changed computers, so it may have to do with how your device runs the emulator, but I tested some of the worst offenders such as Ships and Homes, and they sound fine to my ears, so hopefully the next release will sound better as well.

7 Likes

Just throwing this out there, but if anyone decides to remug Bertram and Olga, feel free to deviate from my designs and give them an Arabian/other desert civilization look since Torn is a desert kingdom. I decided that I didn’t really have the talent to do that, and my head cannon has always been that what you see them wearing isn’t necessarily what they would wear at home but they dress in more typically European medieval clothes when they go to the other parts of Celesia. But don’t feel like you have to reinvent the wheel with them either. A cleaning up of the originals is perfectly fine.

1 Like

mariusddbox
I wanted to try my hand with the DD retouching mania and decided to make Marius not an Ephraim recolor, yet with a similar vibe and color scheme to keep the Marius identity intact.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s a big help.

1 Like

It’s so cool to see so many people inspired enough by this project to devote their time and energy to contributing to its continued success. Stuff like this is why I really enjoy being a part of the FEU community ^.^

11 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m releasing the Part 2 2.0 patch, but it’s not quite what you think. When FEBuilder first started saying that I couldn’t add the new portraits because the ROM was full, me being me, I split the Part 2 in half, so now Part 2 goes up to Chapter 21, and I’m still working on getting the updated version of the rest of the game out. Sorry that my game is so cumbersome to play.

So here’s what’s new:

Deity Device Part 1.emulator-37

I installed Vesly’s minimug mod to give more information without running in and out of the status screen. Some of the replies that I received after mentioning that the player army is designed around building formations with the various buff skills said that it was difficult to keep straight who has what skill. Hopefully, this will help with that. There seems to be a minor bug where sometimes a unit’s first skill will display twice, also appearing in the last space on the minimug box, but it goes away after selecting any unit. Hopefully this will also help with situations when there are enemies with Anima magic so that it’s easier to check what elements the enemy has.

I also toned down the intensity of some of the map tile pallets based on some advice that I got from Pandan. And there is a new status screen background, modified from one by Kirb that was posted in the Graphics Repository.

I’ve also added in all of the new portraits that I’ve gotten so far, and I updated battle pallets to reflect the new portraits. I guess that the bad of this is that the ones that I made look extra crusty next to the new ones.

Lastly, all Talk events between two player units should be able to be initiated by either character now.

All of these changes are now in the current upload of Part 1 2.0 as well.

Gameplay updates are as follows:

There are a few minor changes to enemy placements and inventories.

There are fewer big changes to talk about because I didn’t get nearly as much specific feedback on Part 2 as I did on Part 1, so I’m hoping that means that the bulk of Part 2 was largely inoffensive.

If I say that something has “Summoning Sickness,” that means that the enemies will not move until the turn after they appear.

Chapter 17

The Turn 1 reinforcements now have Summoning Sickness.

Chapter 18

It is now required that Lailah speaks to Midge in order to successfully recruit Gregory in the next chapter.

Chapter 19

This chapter has been completely rebuilt. I never really received any comments about this chapter one way or another, but I always considered it the weakest map in the game. The map is completely new.

Fielding Vincent and Lucy will initiate a scene where Vincent wants to rescue an imprisoned priest, and talking to the priest with Vincent or Lucy will unlock Vincent’s Gaiden, provided that Vincent and Lucy are alive at the end of the chapter.

Chapter 20

The reinforcements that appear before taking the first two castles have been reduced from eight appearing near each castle to four appearing near castle and each side reinforces every other turn (one reinforces on even numbered turns and the other reinforces on odd numbered turns).

The range reinforcements that appear in the second half of the map now have Summoning Sickness.

Bug Fixes

Orville’s level requirement to access his Gaiden should be correct now.

The replacement Arachne and Victor that you get if they died in Part 1 should properly spawn in Chapter 21.

Again, this goes as far as Chapter 21, though the post Ch 21 Gaidens are playable. Whenever you reach Chapter 22 is when it will stop.

And Vincent’s all new Gaiden is in this update. I promise that this is not just another map with monsters. It actually has gameplay that’s a bit different than anything I’ve seen in Fire Emblem. Hopefully, it doesn’t feel gimmicky. I also had room to add some cheesy late 90’s early 00’s anime sounding music from the Super Robot Wars soundtrack for this chapter (because Vincent wants to be a hero). It’s meant to be a bit hyperbolic, so I hope it doesn’t rub anyone the wrong way. This Gaiden is labeled 19xx even though it plays before 19x. Chapter 19x is a mandatory chapter, so just be aware that the order they appear in is intentional.

Let me know if anything seems like it isn’t working.

The patches are available at the top post or here.

I wanted to get this out for anyone who started with 2.0 and has been waiting to continue the game. I’m also putting together a surprise that will be bundled with the full updated release, but I don’t want to cause too much of a delay because of that.

Edit: Big thanks to Citrus who got the ball rolling with the updated portraits as well as everyone who’s submitted portraits so far: knabepicer, DainnOfGungnir, hypergammaspaces, LegendofLoog, RandomWizard, Sterling_Glovner, and MrGreen3339.

13 Likes

Someone plays magic the gathering

1 Like