[FE8] Cerulean Coast (20 chapters + 5) Act 2 Complete!

I’m glad you liked the backgrounds I ported from Final Fantasy Advance games to Fire Emblem. I’m adding this hack to my list of hacks to play, I’ve just watched the trailer and it looks interesting! :grinning:

2 Likes

I checked through my credits and was slightly panicked when I didn’t see your name on there. :sweat_smile:

Were you one the people did the original rips of FF Advance on spriters resource? Because I realised that I just credited 7743 who resized them (assuming he got them from spriters resource) and didn’t credit the rest.

(If someone is miscredited or lacks credit where it should be due, hit me up.)

I created the backgrounds for my hacks (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Reloaded & Fire Emblem: Heroes Crossover) and credited the rippers from Spriters Resource. Then I shared the backgrounds with my hack. Before joining FEUniverse, some people did know about my backgrounds and began using them in their hacks, like Serif.

My backgrounds are with the download link of my hack: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones RELOADED (also Fire Emblem HEROES CROSSOVER)

In the readme of my hack I credit everything, including the Final Fantasy Advance backgrounds rippers:

Final Fantasy I & II Advance backgrounds ripped by Vanarus and Ryan914; Final Fantasy IV Advance backgrounds ripped by Bean; Final Fantasy V Advance backgrounds ripped by Valoc Dakmyre; I got them from Spriters Resource. All backgrounds were ported by me (Dennis el Azul).

Also, if you need a date of when was the first time they were showed, it was in October 9th of 2020 (a year ago) in this video of mine while I was working in my hack:

Wait, resized you said? I didn’t resized them, maybe I’m mistaken mine with others from someone with the same idea. I didn’t resized, I adapted them without resizing. Where can I find those, so I can compare? Maybe I was the one who is mistaken here. :sweat_smile: :thinking:

EDIT Again: I’m finding some people had the same idea as me, and that’s amazing. I find Fenrir did the same, not in the same amount and some of them are not in my collection, but others are exactly equal. It’s amazing! :grin:

I was wondering why there were so many final fantasy backgrounds popping up, guess now I’ve found an origin point. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I took most of the backgrounds from the legendary 7743 here.
https://feuniverse.us/t/ultimate-graphics-repository-new-update-now-using-github/3326/3776

There were a few that 7743 had not resized which I took from spriters resource, and used the in color reduction tool from builder to simply get them to fit in FEGBA proportions.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Now I understand I was not the only one. Maybe because those backgrounds are great for Fire Emblem setups. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can check my collection if you wish and add some to your hack if you need, I have some backgrounds 7743’s collection doesn’t, and some edited ones (one specially for bridgeds).

1 Like

Once you have created some nice data, please publish it here and freely available to everyone.

1 Like

Finished the demo a bit ago and I thought I’d give my thoughts/feedback. To give a brief summary before I go into details, I enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the humor which was right up my alley. Descriptions were a joy to go through.

The main thing I wanted to cover was one specific glitch and a couple writing things. First, the chapter 4 “visit” doesn’t work and just softlocks the player. As for writing, I just wanted to comment that I think the story transition from 4 to 5 onwards is a bit jarring. Not necessarily in terms of tone, but in terms of just presentation. It feels very sudden to just meet up with these people Tower knew and, unless I missed something, only have implications of some vague things in Tower’s past. Not to mention it being unclear about Krynia’s importance. Final thing which isn’t really a glitch, but I think the chapter 6 pre-chapter events are out of order as before Ellerie talks about everyone being alright, Pomelo and Andros are randomly talking about the crates (iirc).

Criticisms aside, as I said, I really enjoyed the hack so far and I look forward to what is in store for the future.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it!

I’ve never had problems with the visit scene myself, but I saw someone else have a different bug with the same event so its probably just poorly implemented, I’ll have to change it in the next update.

You’re right that 5 is jarring as a whole, it was a victim of me trying to cram too much story beats while meandering for the first 4 chapters.

The scene in 6 should be swapped, its a jarring transition.

2 Likes

I could be wrong as I haven’t gotten around to playing the demo yet, but if you haven’t had bugs with the scene, it could be an emulator issue. I can see from the the screenshots that you’re using the text rework, which seems to have varying compatibility with different emulators. Specifically, a scene in my recent demo plays fine on mGBA but is buggy on vba.

Again, I could be wrong, but I thought I’d throw that out there.

1 Like

Appreciate it, no idea that text rework had varying compatibility on different emulators.

A lot of emulator-specific issues do have roots in poor eventing or implementation though, so it’s possible that my janky methods just kinda sucked.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s different emulator compatibility so much as different emulators have different tolerances for how many commands they can take before it starts to bug out.

My event that bugs out on vba is also one that uses the low layer text command to allow BGM changes and sound effects without despawning the portraits, so that may contribute to the bugginess on my end.

Even in the original Deity Device (without text rework) I had written three or so text sequences that were so long the portraits wouldn’t animate (no blinks or mouth movement) and I had to break them up into multiple text entries in order for the portraits to work. And I didn’t even know how to use the low layer text commands when I made Deity Device.

It probably has to do with the game running out of memory to run the event, but I’m really not the person to rely on for technical information.

In any case, good luck with your hack going forward.

1 Like

Don’t know if it helps but I use VBA-rr. Hope that may help clarify if it is an emu issue which sounds like it is.

1 Like

Make sure you’re using VBA-M as regular VBA is and has been dated for many years at this point. Either that or stick with mGBA, those are the only GBA emulators I trust for accuracy and performance

Didn’t want to update this soon without meaningful progress, but there was 2 pretty significant bugs that needed to be fixed.

• Using hasten on anyone that wasn’t the shaman with animations off caused bzzzzt.
  • Visiting the staircases in ch4 crashed if you were not using mGBA caused bzzzzt.
  • Bunch of typos and minor fixes I’ve lost track of

There was some changes for the next update that came early due to priority bug fix:

• The footlocked 5 move melee units have a bit bad as they lack some of the bullshit utility some other units do, so they’ve all been give slight buffs.

• Iosaf now has more STR/DEF/RES in stats and growths.

• Whipjack has more HP/SKL/DEF in stats and growths.

• Telon now has extra level to grow.

• Vermillion now has 1 extra damage on his prf (functionally 5 extra damage of course.) So he doesn’t need to level str to annihilate certain low defence units.

Chapter 7x, 8 and 9 and functional gameplay wise, but still have a lot of dialogue to be written. Expect a release at 10 chapters closing off the Act 1 either this month or next month.
Still enjoying FEE3, got some real cool stuff this year.

8 Likes

3 new chapters + 1 interlude chapter, closing off the first act.
As usual, same link in the main post.

The broken sword in ch1 makes it’s triumphant return.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-26

I finally get the mini ‘avatar’ in the hack. Allows class choice and two skill choices.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-29

Randomwizard helped write dialogue for the hack and made the ch12 map, an absolute legend.
Special thanks to Sterling for updating Tower and Lindros mugs.

Summon Rework

The summon is no longer a green unit, and instead a blue unit with an existent HP pool. However, the unit being killed will reduce the summoner’s move by 1, resetting at the end of the chapter

The log summon got a new niche:
Cerulean Coast.emulator-27

Promotion Changes
  • All units can promote on map without promotional item, though this only affects Gecko/Krynia at the moment

• Promotions for normal units will be unlocked at a later chapter.

• Gecko and Krynia’s tier 0 classes now has class caps of 13.

Character Changes
  • Whipjack lost his mobility skill to better do infantry things, that is, make thing dead.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-30

• Rohesia got a growth buff even though she doesn’t need it because I want grandma swordmaster to be even more awesome

• Gecko got -10% to offensive growths. Won’t change the fact she’s still gets broken too quickly, but might delay it by a chapter.

Item Changes
  • Door keys and chest keys have been merged into skeleton keys, which do both.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-32

• Short bow lost its galeforce effect due to the ballista also triggering it. Instead, it now has really high accuracy to enable Yvette’s Quick Rain.

• As promotional items are gone, trainee seal has been replaced by a fairly useless item.

• Pure water has been replaced by a buff item that gives +6 spd buff.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-31

What's Next

Interlude 10x is fully written, and ch10-14 are functional. However, I have a serious writing debtto cover before I can release that section.

An upcoming chapter, a battle against some familiar faces.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-34

I’d love any feedback on the hack, here or in the discord.
If there’s any bug or typo you saw, odds are its not been reported. I’d always like to know!

19 Likes

Vermilion Valley when

Skeleton keys?? Very cool

4 Likes

Had to do an obligatory hot fix to patch some bugs.

The important change is that Kyrnia doesn’t get put into her promoted class if she wasn’t promoted at the end of ch10 (and thus lose out on some minor promo bonuses).

1 Like

Very happy to see a new update of the project ! Will be sure to try the new chapters and mechanics ! :smile:

1 Like

A needless bug fix update for something really obvious, the yes/no choice at 7x both lead to game over.
Skipping the event prevents this but technically this is ‘gamebreaking’ so I need to cover it.
Thanks Alguien for catching this.

5 Likes