[FE7] [WIP] Lynatic Mode - A Difficulty Rebalance of Lyn Hard Mode

[Download Link at the bottom]

Hi everyone!

My name is Hanes and I wish to introduce you all to this project I’ve been working on for a few months by now. I initially began this project to get better at romhacks, and decided that Lyn Mode would be a good start for its small scale of 12 chapters, plus changing numbers seemed easy enough.

The hack is currently in its early stages and only has been rebalanced and tested up to chapter 3 (4 as of the latest release), yet I felt like releasing it now for feedback and the like. I would like to note that while difficulty is increased, it wasn’t arbitrary. I made sure to see that it was fair, balanced and fun.

The goal of this hack was to redesign Lyn Mode to make it more challenging but also more fun, and to this end I’ve tweaked character stats, enemy stats, the map design (stuff like adding a bit of terrain at the bottom of Chapter 2, or changing the wall in Chapter 3), weapon stats, terrain and a few other things.

ReadMe

-Patch this on an unmodified FE7(U) ROM
-You don’t have to get a save file for this, all modes are unlocked immediately
-Please select Lyn Hard Mode, I haven’t designed anything around Eliwood’s or Hector’s story nor did I remove the tutorials in Lyn Normal Mode
-Chapter 1’s and 4’s bosses move
-Growth Rates are in the discord server

Screenshots

Promotional_1 Promotional_2 Promotional_3 Promotional_4 Promotional_5 Promotional_6 Promotional_7 Promotional_8

Credits

Music Credits:
Castlevania Circle of the Moon - Awake BGM by RSflame
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - Hammer’s Shop BGM by RandomWizard

and special thanks to MrGreen for the:
Megaman X3 Toxic Seahorse OST
Megaman X3 Volt Catfish OST and
MM3 Wily Boss OST
(He has stated these are f2u too, so you can rip them directly from the hack)

Here’s the download link for the most recent version: Lyn_Lunatic_Mode_up_to_Chapter_4_Public_Release

Here’s an invite link to the hack’s discord server: Lynatic Mode

13 Likes

It’s been nearly 2 months since I last released the first version of this hack, and now the next part is out! The Download Link has been updated in the thread itself, as well as these two screenshots being added because I thought they would be cool.

Promotional_7 Promotional_8

Changelog

• The Prologue and Chapter 3 have been redesigned. Minor map changes where done to Chapters 1 and 2.
  • Chapter 4 has been designed and tested
  • Small tweaks to character growths and bases, primarily in luck and skill.
  • Custom map and boss music implemented starting from Chapter 1
  • Enemies now move into formation when they load. I also made sure no glitches happened on the start events.
  • You can press select to display global ranges. This was in here before but I felt like saying it here to make people aware of it.

And lastly, join the discord server to discuss hack metagame and to converse! : D

EDIT: If somehow I missed any credits, please tell me and I’ll fix it >.<

3 Likes

I know you didn’t get any replies, but I like the idea of ‘spicing up’ Lyn Mode in general. Lyn Mode is absolutely the weakest part of FE7, and it really sucks because it’s actually my favorite small-scale story in fire emblem gaming. It’s just that when you get better at the game, it becomes a too-linear and too-easy romp through boring enemies with few tangible rewards for the post-Lyn game.

So, yeah. Cool concept and I’m glad it exists! Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

On that note, what other small-scale story do we have in mainline FE? FE12 Prologue comes too mind, and I basically tried to recreate the experience of that in here. But I can’t think of anything else unless we count Sacred Stones first 8/9 chapters and RD’s Parts as individual stories.

And hey, do check out the hack sometime!

Didn’t call it Lynatic mode

dishonour

I give it a shot. It’s definitely more challenging but i don’t know if i’d call it more fun, but then again i’m Bad At Fire Emblem. I get that it’s harder that way but i’m not fond of dodging being so non-existent, even with wta and favourable (if nerfed) terrain.

(This little trap was pretty good though, that tree looks inviting but parking inside all that range is a whole lot of pain.)

Also Sain seems kind of garbage, here he is getting onerounded at full health and with triangle advantage by Glass of all people. Mine didn’t get great levels but even just starting out he seems pretty bad.

I stopped after this chapter because getting through it took like 45 minutes on the ingame clock lol.

2 Likes

Someone else told me the same thing lol

Oh yeah you wanna dismantle that formation in another way before tackling them,

Yep, he’s not at all for tanking. Like one of my friends put it, he’s a finisher in the way that Kent or Lyn aren’t. This also means he gets kill exp the most, which is more chance of having that juicy 70% strength growth procc and have Sain go :muscle:

Also rejoice for next chapter you get Wil, your own 2-3 archer!

Fuck, that’s so good. The tragedy of a nation right there.

1 Like