[FE7] Knife Spell Animation Messing Up

Actually I’ve been trying to get this working and sadly it’s not so simple. I have now made a version of FEditor which fixes the issue for any clean roms: Download here

However it will NOT work when animations are already inserted because the Spell Animation Array has been repointed to a different location in the newer version.

Oh I see. Thank you for explaining it to me! I had a feeling it was the first three lines, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

And thank you circleseverywhere for making the FEditor to help fix the issue. Going to have backtrack on my hack a bit, but luckily I documented everything I did, so it shouldn’t take too long. Well I hope anyway. I will try inserting the animations later today.

EDIT:
I tried inserting the animation but there was a blue line that appears when the spell animation was playing.

What’s weird is that it only happens once in a while. After a couple of times of reloading a save state does the line appear.

I tried inserting ragnarok to test and see if it was the script or frames that was the issue but you’ll see a line again here.

Not sure if it’s because of where I inserted the spell animations. I tried inserting the knife animation at 0x3E slot and for the ragnarok spell, I tried replacing the ballista arrow animation at 0x10.

EDIT #2: Nvm, I figured out what was causing the issue. Inserting the spell at a different value fixed it. Also found out that inserting the animation at 0x3E messes up the cavalier animation. Again, I would like to thank you for helping me getting this to work.

1 Like

Good work figuring out the weird line, that was bugging me too

Took a bit of trial and error to see what was causing the issue. Did a bit more experimenting and realized that the game gets bricked when trying to patch Blazer’s instrument patch after inserting the knife animation. I also tried patching first before inserting and doing this will end up with that weird line and messing up the cavalier animation.

So I’m not sure if the value of the spell insertion was really the issue. But having a clean rom will insert the animation fine. I’m going to keep trying and figure out the order of inserting stuff to be able to get both the patch and animation to work together.

If I I had to guess I’d say that there’s some sort of overlap between where Blazer’s instrument patch puts things and where the new spell animation table has been placed by FEditor.

That’s probably it. I tried patching the rom first before inserting the animation. It seemed to work, but once I try inserting music or graphics, the spell animation messes up with the weird line showing up again when it was fine before the insertion.

I’ve tried many combinations of what to insert first to get the animation to run smoothly, but so far I haven’t figured it out. =/

Probably will just work around this issue by making a separate battle animation for the thief to throw knives and have a custom animation pointer set up for the thief.

Meaningless to an offset conflict.

That’s true. I’ve tried deallocating space once I realized that. But I’m not sure where FEditor would insert stuff. Does FEditor say where in the rom it would begin to insert stuff when you deallocate space?