[FE7] Getting a third faction working for 1 chapter

As most of you know by now, there’s a method of making green units hostile to players and enemies (skips the allegiance check). This is done by editing a byte on the ROM, but what I’m trying to do is make the green units only hostile for a specific chapter.

Technically I can do this by using the VBA to memory hack the byte from RAM during that chapter. But obviously that’s not a permanent solution. So what I’m asking is: How do I get a third faction working for a specific chapter? I know Bloodlines does this (albeit in a different manner) so I know it must be possible.

1 Like

Find the routine that checks this byte, hook your own routine to it and return a different value depending on the ID of the chapter

so: do asm

2 Likes

I guess I should be more clear: I presumed out that you could use some sort of conditional to get this working, as you said. I’m just not sure where to start on such a thing.

1 Like

If you have access to a debugger (no$debugger is a good start), you can break-on-read the relevant value in ROM to do what Leonarth said.

1 Like

The allegiance check is done by comparing ID’s of the unit.
If the 0x40 bit is set it’s an NPC
If 0x80 is set it’s an enemy
If neither it’s a player unit
The game checks if the 2 units in question are equal after clearing all the bits except 0x80(AND 0x80). Equal means they’re allies, not equal means enemies (tribalism at its finest). What I did in bloodlines was AND 0xC0 then checking for equivalencies meaning for units to be allies they have to be in the same faction. I incorporated my checked for this indiscriminate hostility with an AI value, it wouldn’t be difficult to change the condition to just a chapter ID. If you’re stepping through the code yourself that’s what you’d want to do; AND 0xC0 instead of 0x80. I can’t remember the function address offhand and I’m away from my computer this week. I can just give you the code if you want to wait or you can use no$ to find the function and write a little bit of code. Good luck :+1:t2:

4 Likes

For example, if you modify it as follows, NPC will hostile if local flag 0x27 is enabled.

NPC_uragiri.s

@ローカルフラグ0x27をONにするとNPCが敵対する。
@When local flag 0x27 is turned on, NPC is hostile.
@Call 080238B0

.thumb
.macro blh to, reg=r3
  ldr \reg, =\to
  mov lr, \reg
  .short 0xf800
.endm

PUSH  {r0,r1,lr}

mov   r0, #0x27
blh   0x080798F8       @FE7U  CheckFlag
cmp   r0, #0x00
bne   Uragiri
mov   r2, #0x80        @ 仲間 (゚∀゚)人(゚∀゚) 
b     Join

Uragiri:
mov r2, #0xC0          @ 裏切り (・∀・) 

Join:
POP  {r1,r0}
and r1 ,r2
mov r3, #0x0
and r2 ,r0
cmp r2 ,r1
bne NotNPC

mov r3, #0x1

NotNPC:
mov r0 ,r3
POP  {pc}

NPC_uragiri.event

#ifdef _FE7_

#include "EAstdlib.event"
#include "Extensions/Hack Installation.txt"

PUSH
ORG $238B0		//FE7U
jumpToHack(NPC_uragiri)
POP

NPC_uragiri:
#incbin "NPC_uragiri.dmp"

#else
    ERROR This version of Selection Quotes is for FE7!
#endif

Since FEU can not attach zip, compile (assembly) by yourself.