Not too long ago, I released a hack called FE6 Boss Recruitment. It allowed the player to recruit 5 bosses of their choice throughout an otherwise unchanged FE6 playthrough. It wasn’t perfect, thanks to stability issues and a lack of any new dialogue, but it was a functional way to experience this concept. I (along with several friends) have taken another crack at the idea, but this time in FE7.
You may recruit five bosses across the game, one per "grouping” (This number increases to 7 with Lyn Mode.) Bosses have custom growths, and aside from a few very late personals, are otherwise left entirely vanilla.
The Groups (Chapter Numbers are Lyn’s -> Hector's)
- Lyn Mode Group 1: Prologue-Chapter 5
- Lyn Mode Group 2: Chapters 6-9
- Earlygame Group 1: Chapters 11-14
- Earlygame Group 2: Chapters 15-18
- Midgame Group: Chapters 19x-22
- Lategame Group: Chapters 25-32
- Special Group: Any of the units who appear as morphs in endgame (You don’t recruit them in Light, you get them beforehand.)
If you’re confused about any of the groupings, there’s a text file included in the download that lists out each group’s bosses by name.
Most of the bosses have been given entirely new dialogue in the form of boss conversations or Hector Mode tactician conversations (those events that happen on turn 1 if a tactician was created.) Some even have recruitment conversations with regular units. Every boss has a custom ending, barring some Lyn Mode bosses, who are a WIP.
- 3x Effectiveness has been added.
- 19xx is now accessible in Eliwood Mode. Regardless of mode, Nils doesn’t need to be trained, and Kishuna doesn’t need to be killed.
- If you recruit a boss who would have been a morph in Light, they do not appear as a morph there.
- Some weapon descriptions have been updated, and some typos have been fixed.