Greetings and salutations, FEU! My name is Brunhilda, and I am a fledgling romhacker who has come to show a project I have worked on with some assistance from the community in the past two years.
This passion project is none other than Project Ember, a gameplay/graphics overhaul of FE6 that aims to give the player a brand new and (hopefully!) fun experience. Dozens of changes have been made, too many for me to list off every single one here. But to list a few:
- Tweaked playable units
- Altered chapter events
- New classes
- Modified weapon stats
- An upgraded weapon triangle (15 Avo/2 Dmg)
- Roy promoting like a normal unit (requires a Knight’s Crest)
And much, much more. As this is my first project, there have been some bumps in the road. Fire Emblem 6 is an unwieldy game to hack, and as a result there are some bugs that have been found in the hack already that, as of posting, have no fix. Thankfully they’re nothing gamebreaking, but a nuisance is still a nuisance.
Included below is a link to a dropbox containing the patch (apply it to a Japanese FE6 rom), a document that I heavily suggest you read, and two folders containing the assets I used for map palettes and all the portraits I (and Ltranc) have worked on.
And lastly, please do not see this as a replacement for FE6. This is solely meant to be a labor of love and a new way to experience the game many people in this fandom love so much. With all that said, I hope my hack meets or surpasses whatever expectations you may have.
I hope to hear from you all soon
Changes in version 1.7:
- Several new characters are now playable, namely Lowen from Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade. The others include Eliwood, Guinevere, and others. One of these is a secret!
There are several new PRF weapons, so many in fact we’ve made a doc detailing them in the new readme! Do check it out when you have the time
Units have had stats modified and bases altered, though nothing that really radically changes how they operate in battle
Introducing: REINFORCE! After completing a special objective in 16x, you will gain access to the reinforce ability. By talking to Douglas with Roy, a group of green units will spawn to assist the player in the battles to come. They auto-level and change over the course of the mid/lategame, offering different forms of assistance depending on the chapter (please note these reinforcements have set spawn points near the player’s starting position, so it’s recommended you talk from the first couple of turns).
Introducing MANIAC mode. This mode aims to fully realize the DSFE style of player-enemy combat and test your tactical skills more than ever before. Are you brave enough to handle the challenge? Included in the Dropbox are a patch for Maniac mode and a somewhat modified version of that deemed the new version of Hard Mode. Be expected to deal with quite the challenge regardless of the patch you pick!
New supports written by FE6 Enthusiast Krashboombang. We’ve taken great care to make sure they fit along with the rest of the supports in the original. Want to see them? Well my friend, you’ll have to play the hack to find out
Lastly, I will conclude in saying this will most likely be the final major update to Project Ember until Maiden of Darkness’ resources become public. Do check out that thread if you’re curious as to what MoD is, as it’s what inspired me to start this in the first place! Regardless, I’m very happy to have worked on Project Ember, as it has taught me a lot about romhacking and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had in my life. So without further delay, thank you to those who gave your kind words and who helped me along the way. It means the world
And a very heartfelt thanks to my good friend Allen The Cavalier (Who goes by the name Sex Pistols Requiem on Discord), who made Maniac Mode what it is now. If it wasn’t for him, I don’t think this update would have ever been possible.
Changes made in 1.8~1.81:
- [1.8] Introducing Weapon Reversal! This patch does exactly what it says on the tin, reversing the weapon types (and by virtue classes) of every character you get. Full credit goes to Ltranc for the creation of this patch, and we hope you all enjoy playing through it.
- [1.8] Continuing on the topic of new ways to play, a 0% growths patch for Maniac Mode has now been made. It took extensive testing and feedback to make sure this hack would be completable on 0%, and with our confidence assured we will now make this available for the public to play.
- [1.8] The Binding Blade that the player obtains is now the same as Hartmut’s, and Hartmut’s Ecksachs is reverted to being similar statistically to the one the player has.
- [1.8] The Demon Dragon and by extension Idunn’s stats/caps have been modified. her Skill and Speed now caps at 20, giving her 20 base AS and Skill. The skill cap modification was made to accommodate the redone Crit formula of prior patches. Her Dark Breath now gives different bonuses as well.
- [1.8] The eight legends and Idunn have had their base luck set to 0.
- [1.8] Zephiel’s speed cap is now set to 15, giving him 18 AS with the Ecksachs equipped. His Def cap is now set to 27, giving him 31/34 Defenses on the throne he sits on.
- [1.8] Hugh has achieved comedy. Also, his magic base is increased by 1 and his Anima rank is now A instead of B.
- [1.8] Eliwood’s base HP has been increased by 3.
- [1.8] Ogier’s join level is now raised to 10 rather than 9.
- [1.81] Ogier now has a new PRF weapon, Cortain.
Cortain: Sword, 11 Mt/80 Hit/10 Wt/5 Crit, 25 Uses. Lck+10 on equip, targets Res and has 1-2 range
- [1.81] Increased Demon Dragon’s class speed cap from 20 to 22
- [1.81] The Devil Axe now has 100 Hit.
- [1.81] Fixed the Armory in chapter 7 that had two iron blades.
[1.81] Updated quite a few weapon icons, as well as redid/recolored all the villager portraits to look better compared to previous builds.