Greetings and salutations, FEU! My name is Brunhilda, and I am a fledgling romhacker who has come to show a project I have worked on with some assistance from the community in the past two years.
This passion project is none other than Project Ember, a gameplay/graphics overhaul of FE6 that aims to give the player a brand new and (hopefully!) fun experience. Dozens of changes have been made, too many for me to list off every single one here. But to list a few:
- Tweaked playable units
- Altered chapter events
- New classes
- Modified weapon stats
- An upgraded weapon triangle (15 Avo/2 Dmg)
And much, much more. As this is my first project, there have been some bumps in the road. Fire Emblem 6 is an unwieldy game to hack, and as a result there are some bugs that have been found in the hack already that, as of posting, have no fix. Thankfully they’re nothing gamebreaking, but a nuisance is still a nuisance.
Included below is a link to a dropbox containing the patch (apply it to a Japanese FE6 rom), a document that I heavily suggest you read, and two folders containing the assets I used for map palettes and all the portraits I (and Ltranc) have worked on.
And lastly, please do not see this as a replacement for FE6. This is solely meant to be a labor of love and a new way to experience the game many people in this fandom love so much. With all that said, I hope my hack meets or surpasses whatever expectations you may have.
I hope to hear from you all soon
Changes in version 1.7:
- Several new characters are now playable, namely Lowen from Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade. The others include Eliwood, Guinevere, and others. One of these is a secret!
There are several new PRF weapons, so many in fact we’ve made a doc detailing them in the new readme! Do check it out when you have the time
Units have had stats modified and bases altered, though nothing that really radically changes how they operate in battle
Introducing: REINFORCE! After completing a special objective in 16x, you will gain access to the reinforce ability. By talking to Douglas with Roy, a group of green units will spawn to assist the player in the battles to come. They auto-level and change over the course of the mid/lategame, offering different forms of assistance depending on the chapter (please note these reinforcements have set spawn points near the player’s starting position, so it’s recommended you talk from the first couple of turns).
Introducing MANIAC mode. This mode aims to fully realize the DSFE style of player-enemy combat and test your tactical skills more than ever before. Are you brave enough to handle the challenge? Included in the Dropbox are a patch for Maniac mode and a somewhat modified version of that deemed the new version of Hard Mode. Be expected to deal with quite the challenge regardless of the patch you pick!
New supports written by FE6 Enthusiast Krashboombang. We’ve taken great care to make sure they fit along with the rest of the supports in the original. Want to see them? Well my friend, you’ll have to play the hack to find out
Lastly, I will conclude in saying this will most likely be the final major update to Project Ember until Maiden of Darkness’ resources become public. Do check out that thread if you’re curious as to what MoD is, as it’s what inspired me to start this in the first place! Regardless, I’m very happy to have worked on Project Ember, as it has taught me a lot about romhacking and was one of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve ever had in my life. So without further delay, thank you to those who gave your kind words and who helped me along the way. It means the world
And a very heartfelt thanks to my good friend Allen The Cavalier (Who goes by the name Sex Pistols Requiem on Discord), who made Maniac Mode what it is now. If it wasn’t for him, I don’t think this update would have ever been possible.
Changes made in 1.71-1.74:
- [1.71] Ogier’s promo gains recieved a 1-point boost
- [1.71] Chapters 5 and 8 have had minor modifications to help boost consistency and game flow
- [1.71] Dayan, Juno, Yoder, Barthe, Gwendolyn, Ogier, and Niime have received minor stat boosts, their spreadsheet entries have been modified accordingly
- [1.71] Roach now joins automatically at the start of any map after the one where Douglas has died, rather than just being a case in 16x
- [1.71] Maniac Mode now has a red title screen to show a visual indicator of which patch you’ve applied right away in case you forget
- Sophia’s PRF now gives a passive +3 Speed boost and has 20 crit
- [1.71] Raigh’s growth rates are modified. His Spd growth was lowered by 5% while his Skl growth was increased by 10%
- [1.72] Niime comes with a second restore staff at the start of each of her join chapters
- [1.72] A few portraits have been modified to look slightly different, credit goes to Obsidian Daddy for making them free to use. There are other minor visual tweaks as well.
- [1.72] Chapter 21’s reinforcements are now turn-based instead of zone-based, and chapter 22’s switch tile Swordmasters are now Heroes instead.
- [1.72] Cath comes with a little surprise for the player if they opt to wait on recruiting her until Chapter 22.
[1.72] Lowen’s portrait has been upgraded! View the previous (Left) and new (Right) portrait side-by-side for a comparison:
- [1.73] Zeiss now promotes into an Axe/Lance Wyvern Lord, and Galle comes with special weapon ranks as well.
- [1.73] Tick’s event no longer crashes the game if the player attempts to one-turn the map. We apologize to all LTC players out there.
- [1.73] Added a small chunk of dialogue for Narcian in Chapter 16 alluding to his special “surprise” for the player
- [1.73] Garret’s HP was lowered by 4 because it sometimes causes his HP to bug out on join. His defense has been increased by 2 to compensate for this.
[1.73] Bartre and Echidna come with special weapons to turn the tide of battle! Please view the screenshots below for reference:
- [1.73] Color palettes for all the Paladins have been modified slightly, among other minor graphical changes.
- [1.73] Goddess Icons now give +3 Luck instead of +2. We are sure this will please someone out there.
- [1.74] Eliwood Knight Lord crit has been fixed
- [1.74] Added the Berserk unit animation patch
- [1.74] Fixed Wyvern Lord bow crit animation
- [1.74] Fixed Melady’s conversation script with Galle in chapter 21
- [1.74] Fixed Cath not coming with the special weapon on the Maniac Mode patch
- [1.74] Added the other PRFs to the added secret shop in chapter 24
- [1.74] Removed the boss flag from the Eight Legends so they don’t potentially prevent the map from ending if you kill Idunn
- [1.74] Fixed terrain bonus inconsistencies like Gates giving 4 Def/3 Res instead of 4 for both
- [1.74] Fixed walking sounds to match their proper class, so no Elffin doesn’t sound like he’s riding a horse anymore
- [1.74] Adjusted Garret’s stats to futureproof him for lategame. This includes +2 to Con, +1 to Skill, and base A axes instead of C
- [1.74] Added a special item in a certain desert chapter
- [1.74] Reduced Forest Avo by 10