[FE5] [Complete] Fire Emblem: New Theory of Thracia 776

I use openemu and it works flawlessly. Also used a fork of snes9x on my psvita. You might’ve patched it wrong cuz I tried like 4 different emulators and they all worked for me.

I’m happy to help! Please send the text file, it’ll be much easier to edit that way. I’m not unfamiliar with game files, so if it’s easier to just send it as one chunk I can absolutely work with that.
I bring up Restore simply because in the current state, it functions as a soft unit cap that prevents those units from regenerating stamina, essentially. Which on harder difficulties, is entirely fair; it’s a more advanced tactic. But for the normal difficulty, one I think should be conducive to playing through without necessitating advanced tactics, interacting with status conditions in terms of who can spare the exhaustion to heal it and how dire it is would be a more engaging route.

Like I said, I’m playing on Windows. I’ve tried the latest Snes9x version but the patched game doesn’t run. Should I try it on Android in the smartphone instead?

Unless I may have patched the wrong rom, so I’ll check that instead.

If it is not working, it may be either because you are patching to a ROM without headers, or you are patching to a different ROM, such as the NP version. Please check to see the following:

• Please apply to the “ROM version” FE5.smc file (with headers). The “NP version” will not work properly because its internal structure is different.
    • “ROM version” refers to the ROM cartridge version released in 2000. It has the year notation “1996, 1999, 2000” on the title screen.
    • “NP version” refers to the version saved on “SF memory cassette”. It has the year notation “1996, 1999”.
  • If you only have a ROM without a header, add a header before patching.
  • Please apply this to an unmodified ROM. Do not use this after other patches.

Congratulations! I’m glad you like this hack.

As for Fergus, Karin, and Homer (and Sloof, although he was not mentioned), I want to be recruitable them somehow in the future, but it is not a priority.

2 Likes

Oops my bad. Idk why but I glanced right over “windows”. I would definitely make sure the rom was correct. I had to jump through some hoops to figure it out on Mac but should be way easier for you on windows. I have a feeling you just are patching the wrong rom. Where are you getting the rom? I just used wow roms and stuck that rom into a website that adds headers.

I’ve just downloaded it from there. Where’s that site for the headers?

Since you’re on windows you could use an application for it but I used

It’s in Japanese but pretty easy to navigate.

2 Likes

Worked perfectly. Thanks very much.

You’re welcome. Glad to help :+1:t2:

Thanks for answering! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for future updates!

1 Like

I uploaded the zip containing dialogue files divided by chapters.

Note:

• Due to tool limitations, spaces are replaced with underscores.
  • There are some unorganized parts, such as Japanese comments, so please ignore them if necessary. The character encoding is UTF-8, so I think you can open the file even if it contains Japanese characters.
  • This hack switches dialogue depending on the situation, but in order to reduce data, some dialogue with the same content is commonized (some dialogues are the same but not commonized). Therefore, it may be difficult to tell which one is connected to which one by looking at this file alone.
  • Lines beginning with ; are comments and are not used in the game.
  • “▼” denotes waiting for button input.
  • There is a special instruction that begins with the special letter.
    • \s Erase characters in current window
    • \c Erase characters in both windows
    • \n New line
    • \w Wait
    • A number after \n and \w specifies the wait for the amount of time.

Updated.

• The house dialogue in Chapter 7 is changed to not assure that you will not die in the arena, because if Leif loses, he will die.
  • Fixed some of dialogue in Chapter 11x.
  • Fixed a misspelling of Leif of Chapter 12 and the last chapter.
  • Changed Bharat in Chapter 20 to not visible until the beginning of turn 8 in Hard and Maniac mode. His Auth.★ is still in effect because he is still present, just not visible.
  • The event for the start of Bharat’s assault and the withdrawal of Reinhardt in Chapter 20, was changed from the enemy phase of Turn 8 to the start of the player phase.
  • Changed some text in Guide.
  • The fade-out before opening shops on the map, Arena, Trade, and Supply on the map, closing the Status, Options, Guide, and Supply on the map has been removed, so the speed of opening these screens is now slightly faster.
2 Likes

Updated.

• Changed Chapter 20 to start from the enemy phase in Hard and Maniac mode.
  • Changed the reinforcements in the 2nd turn of Chapter 20 to have a Restore staff in Normal mode.
  • Fixed a missing shadow in some dialogue fonts.
  • Changed letterforms of some menu fonts.
  • Fixed incorrect item descriptions and guide.
  • Changed the stats display in real combat animations.
    • Changed the position of “DMG” and “CRT”.
    • Changed “AC” to “×”. This is only a notational change, the function remains the same.
    • Changed the palette and letterforms of each letter to improve visibility.
  • Changed the shape of the “Waiting for keystrokes” icon when dialogue occurs in real combat animations.
  • Removed fade-ins when entering shops and arenas on the map to reduce waiting time for these screens.

Example of changed stats display:

fe5x636

Note: “AC” in the combat forecast window has not changed. This is because it looks like the horizontal numbers (your and your opponent’s attack counts) are being multiplied if that change is made.

8 Likes

So, as I’ve been editing the script, I noted that there’s no files for character or item names as they appear outside of text boxes. If it’s possible, would you mind sending those to me as well? Some names and items (potentially item descriptions) will need some tweaking.
I’m not sure how the game handles the world map, but some location names need to be changed there as well (such as Lenster to Leonster, and Manster to Munster).

Hero Lance Attack Sprite Sheet
https://imgur.com/joOH1OV/
https://imgur.com/1LxrJwN/

For the sections that use menu fonts, there is a high probability that I will not be able to adopt the text as it is, even if you suggest it, due to strict limitations on ram space, window size, etc. If you find any part of the menu text that seems incorrect while playing, please point it out and I will correct it (and fit within the game).

As for the world map, I don’t want to change the spelling of it. One reason is that the image needs to be sliced and placed, this work has to be done by hand as there are no suitable tools currently available, and I do not want to touch this.

Regarding the menus, understood. I’ll leave a document in that shows what edit I think should be done, and anything that can’t be can just be dealt with.

For the world map, I had a feeling it’d be something like that. I figured asking to see if it was easy, but I highly doubted it would be. I’m sure I could edit that, but that’s also not something that sounds fun.

1 Like

Hi I’m having trouble. I dont know how to patch this and I dont know who to go to, I have the rom and patch downloaded I just dont know how to patch it.

You need to patch it with a headered ROM of Thracia 776. Use this Romhacking.net - Utilities - TUSH or something similar that adds a header to a ROM.

3 Likes