[FE5] [Complete] Fire Emblem: New Theory of Thracia 776

Updated as follows:

• Added display of Captures/Wins values to the total results at the ending. (Captures/Wins values do not affect total rank.)
  • Fixed the classes with added sword equipment did not have a sound effect when attacking with a sword on map combat.
  • Fixed some units were not footstamping when speaking dialogue. This existed from the original game.
  • Fixed the background graphic used at the class change (promotion) being different from that of the Real battle animation on the same terrain. This existed from the original game.
  • Others, errors in the English text, minor unintended behavior, etc. were corrected.

I will be busy with other matters from now on, so I will stop updating for a while. I look forward to receiving feedback and errors or bugs reports from players. If a serious bug is caught, I will respond as soon as possible. You may write here, but if for some reason you can’t, can also contact me on Twitter.

5 Likes

Updated. The menu font has been changed to English.

fe5x411

The developers of Lil’Manster has provided me with a build file. A huge thanks to them! I used a python program included in that to generate the menu fonts. (For the font table reference process in the game, I used one that I created myself for the development environment of Japanese.)

Due to a technical problem, I provide a separate patch from the Japanese version now. In the English patch, the menu font is always in English. The story dialogue can be switched between Japanese and English, as before.

Various screenshots

fe5x415
Units command

fe5x416
Map command

fe5x412
Item description

fe5x413
Some items have extended item descriptions

fe5x409
GBA-like Simplified Forecast Window. The number of attacks (floating multiples in GBA) is displayed as AC (Attack Chances)

fe5x410
AC (Attack Chances) is displayed in Real combat animation too

fe5x417
Deploy screen

fe5x418
Item arrangement screen

fe5x419
Shop screen

fe5x420
Soundroom

I think I have translated all the menu fonts expect the Help screen. Please let me know if there are any problems or missing. The Japanese fonts have been removed, so any unsupported parts (if there are) should be shown as blank.

Note: The Help screen is currently inaccessible in the English version, has been changed to display the command only in the Japanese version. Because that has not yet been disassembled.

And the following new features have been added:

• Added “Save” to the map command. This command will only appear when no one has moved yet during that turn. In short, it has the same specifications as FE4. (Only displayed for turns that can be saved by the settings.)
  • Added display of Def and Res to the stats screen, replaced where Range was. Range has been moved below it.
  • Added “Map” command to the preparation screen of the fog map. Sortie units can now be swapped positions on the fog map too.
19 Likes

Updated. The process, converting menu fonts to English, has been incorporated into the main patch. Now you can have Japanese and English all in one ROM! When you press the X button on the Options screen, all texts in the game will switch to other language (toggles English or Japanese).

And, this update includes the following:

• Sort order of “Name” in Unit list changed to one of sortie selection. (Formerly sorted by unit ID.)
  • Sort order of “Exp” and “Fatigue” in Unit list changed so that position of “–” is under “0”.
  • Fixed a game crash when displaying ally poison effects at the start of a turn.
  • Others, errors in the English text, minor unintended behavior, etc. were corrected.
14 Likes

Updated as follows:

• Added Help screen in English mode. That screen with English now. However, some items are blank because they have not been translated yet.
  • And added Help command to the preparation screen too.
  • Slightly modified the shape of the English menu font (to improve compression efficiency and readability)
  • Changed sort order of Cond in unit list, to take into account added Cond “Tired” and “Tired 2”.
  • Fixed a bug that Japanese fonts were being loaded after pressing Start on the map to display the mini-map and then closing it to reload fonts.

fe5x435
Help screen

10 Likes

May I ask what program you are using for this hack?

1 Like

Thanks for your interest.

I use fe5_event, the program for editing events, created by Min. fe5_event can extract dialog and event data from ROM, and then write back the extracted data (modified as needed). The data, decomposed by fe5_event, is compiled with Asar.

The vanilla program is analyzed by dis65816. If want modifying programs, I will process together when compiling fe5_event’s data, include the relevant ASMs copied from the analysis results.

For images, use fe5_extract, fe45_comp, and fe45_decomp, created by Min. fe5_extract can extract most of the compressed data (images, tilemaps, etc.) contained in FE5, and the output file can also be written back to ROM by compiling it with Asar. fe45_comp, and fe45_decomp are tools to decompress, or recompress compressed files used in FE4 and FE5.

When draw pixel art, I draw and convert it to SNES image format with YY-CHR. Use SNES Palette Editor to change colors.

Many great programs created by Min, including fe5_event etc., can be downloaded from the Japanese uploader.

3 Likes

Updated as follows:

• Translation of the help screens has been completed. All items are displayed in English.
  • A list of skills has been added to the help screen, and details such as activation conditions for each skill are now included. These were previously only checkable in the accompanying text, etc., but can now be viewed in-game.

fe5x436
Skill list in Help screen

6 Likes

Updated. Added “Talk” command to the map menu. Listen to strategists and other people, or Leif talks alone.

This similar to “Shinan” in GBA FE hacks, but it does not contain clear spoilers. You can hear them say what to do next or comment on events that have occurred.

As for this command, I thought it would be difficult to explain what the function is without a video, so I made one.

3 Likes

Updated. I released Version 1.0, and the title was changed to “New Theory of Thracia 776” accordingly. Since I have completed the English translation, I thought this is a good time.

fe5x444

23 years ago today, Thracia 776 was launched in Japan. I am grad to announce on this day.

Postscript:
A pre-written version was sold first on August 28th. The rewrite service then began on September 1st.

Looking at some sites, this information does not seem to have made it to the English-speaking world for some reason. Please see Japanese Wikipedia, the article of Japanese Magazine, and other sites.

15 Likes

I’m playing this hack in these days and it’s good, I’ve never liked vanilla FE5 because I’ve always found it too much hard for me. I think that this is a great way to enjoy the game, i hope that this hack get more recognize

1 Like

Thank you for playing. I’m glad you enjoyed it.
I hope that people enjoy it even if they are not good at FE5, and for those who like FE5 to enjoy new plays.

1 Like

so far I’m enjoying the game. It’s pretty fun with so much new stuff
But I have two problems. Major ones, and I’m absolutely confused.
So, first, is that attack stat calculates based on half unit’s strength/magic. I thought for magic it was pretty fair as it is pretty strong even in this patch, but when I noticed the same thing for physical weapons I got concerned. Is it how it should be or is it some sort of error?
And second, I don’t know what’s going on with AS stat. Last chapter I had Tanya with 28 AS while capping speed at 20. Eyvel also started with broken AS stat
Could both problems be the cause of wrong ROM or something?

1 Like

No, it’s just that some of the stat calculations in this hack are very different from usual Fire Emblem fare.

The way it goes is half of your Str goes to your phys damage, and half goes to negating weapon weight; half of your magic goes toward your magic damage, and half to your Res. It’s intentional.

As for AS, I believe the formula is (if it hasn’t changed since recent versions)
Speed - [Wt -Str/2] + (Skl/2) - (Fatigue Excess/4)
So yes, Skl enters into the AS formula, and will allow you get more than 20 AS.

(Another strange formula to keep in mind: AS also increases your hit rate. Skl has a x3 multiplier when contributing to hit, AS has a x1.)

1 Like

I’ve finished two runs of this patch and i can confirm the Half strength for physical damage balances around by the late game as enemies start having more resistance than defense, additionally since most weapons have way higher might, it wont be hard even for units with shakey strength to deal decent damage.

1 Like

thank you very much! Now I get it

thanks!

Thank you for the feedback. The formula is as Miacis answered. (Thanks for answering on my behalf!)

From me, I will explain the intent of the design.

For attack power, only half of the Stat is added

Instead, the might of the weapon is set higher, and its ratio to the damage deal is greater.

This changes are to solve the problem of many players who preferred to use only iron weapons even in later games. (I think this problem detracted from the fun of taking weapons from enemies.) When fighting stronger enemies, you now have to use stronger weapons to do damage.

And it is important to use different weapons depending on the situation, as most classes have class type(s) and are subject to one of the weapon effectiveness. The weapon effectiveness adds a fixed value bonus of +20 to Attack power and +30 to hit. (Fixed values are used because if the weapon’s might is large, tripling it will result in instant death damage.)

Half of Skl is added to AS

Since the worth of Skl was significantly low, I changed to make players want to raise their Skl.

By increasing Skl, armored knights, who are not as fast, and ballisticians, who are equipped the heavy weapon, can also increase their AS. (The addition of AS due to Skl is not affected by the weight of the weapon.)

I knew these would confuse players, but I preferred to balance them as one game rather than follow the FE grammar.

3 Likes

Updated as follows:

• Fixed Chapter 2. The English name (unit and affiliation) of Lifis’ Gang was different from the translation in the story dialogue.
  • Fixed Chapter 5. The English name of Bandol was not set. The game was crashing when the nameless man started a real combat animation.
  • Fixed the contents of the help menu “Item - Weapon”. It is now written that half of Str or Mag is added to the attack power.
1 Like

Is crit supposed to be a minimum of 1? It looks like everyone has at least 1 crit on them regardless of their Ddg stat.

1 Like

Yes. Normally, the critical chance is guaranteed to be at least 1%. (Crit’s concept of probability is now the same as Hit.)

Only when having the Crusader’s Scroll can the enemy’s Critical be reduced to 0%.