FE10 Basic Text Hacking (Nothing Fancy)

Hey, it’s been a while.
I’ve got a question for y’all who are familiar with the ins and outs of FE10.
I was wondering how one would be able to access the text within the game. I’m not looking to edit entire conversations or anything fancy, just a few words to my liking.

I’ve seen programs suggested by other users such as @HeartHero’s FE9 Message Editor. And @Sephie mentioning he/she modified text within the game. I’ve tried editing the raw files by decompressing (not sure thats the right term) the entire ISO via Dolphin, entering the .m files (the ones that have an “e_” at the start) and editing them from there, but got nowhere.

Now, doing research myself shows it’s possible, (and trust me, I’ll go ANY length to figure it out) I thought I’d ask the “pros”, so to speak.
Jus’ reassuring you, I’ll do whatever it takes (seriously).

Thank you for answering.
-MegaCowsamMan

1 Like

The best all accompasing FE10 and 3dsFE modding tool available is paragon editor… you can do it decently easily there.

1 Like

Yo! Thanks for the response! I’ll give it a try!
Also, welcome to FEUniverse! Enjoy you’re stay! :grin:

Edit: Nevermind the precious question. I figured it out! But I’ve got a new question:

When I make my desired changes to FE10’s data, I’m not sure how to actually playtest my edited data. Is there an ISO to test or something?

Sorry, I just don’t understand this program. I’ve searched tutorials but their all for the 3DS games. Sorry if this is much for y’all. But thank you for pointing me to this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Nevermind that, also! I figured it out, again! Ha!
Thank you so much for pointing me to this awesome program! Cheers! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi. So, I edited the text like I said nothing different, and it worked in-game as expected. But when I played through the game, I was met with an unexpected crash.

To provide an example for y’all:
There is a piece of text that says “drunkard”, which I replaced with “dumbhead”, in one the base conversations in chapter 2-3. All was well until chapter 6 when right before the prep screen showed up, I was met with “unable to write address such-in-such” or “unable to read address such-in-such” on my Dolphin Emulator.

I used the method suggested above (Paragon) and used the “Raw Text Editor” on the menu, and searched the “c_” files for the text I wished to edit. Then when I found it, I just highlighted the existing piece of text, and put in new text (with the same amount of characters) and saved. Then I took my newly edited .m files and replaced the original .m files in the un-compiled folder in:

DATA==>files==>Mess==>desired .m file to edit.

Then I re-compiled it and tested it. And as mentioned above. It edited the text, but crashes the game as well. I didn’t edit any of the code in the conversations by the way.

Let me know if I did anything wrong. Thank you in advance!
And perhaps any suggestions if you know anyone with the know-how of this.

Thanks! -MegaCowsamMan