FE-Builder - Talk Option between characters in a chapter

hey : )

I would have a question for the FE-Builder, hope this is the right spot to ask questions like these

I saw that it s possible to have specific characters talk with each other I do not mean the Support-Conversations, just “talk”.

How could I achieve that? And I m not really a programmer, so I was hoping for a ready-to-use feature in FE-Builder, also I saw in some hack, that you can even highlight it somehow, like when you select a unit, it will show an indicator with “Talk” or something above another unit

thank you : )

1 Like

Hi Cec!

The talk feature is an event that you can set in the event section of FEBuilder. You can select two characters and make them talk with a talk option! The highlight you are referring to, is a patch that you can install. This patch will show you a little textbubble whenever two characters can talk.

Making a good talk event can be quite tricky and is a bit long to explain. Luckily there are a lot of great tutorials made by the hacking community that can help you with this, like the video I made.

If you’re ever stuck with a certain thing in the talk event, feel free to ask for help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hey @XPGamesNL : )

thanks for the quick reply, I managed to create a conversation/talk between two characters, not sure if I installed a patch before, but I already saw a yellow bubble too!

only problem I saw is, that if I create two conversations (Unit A talks to Unit B, Unit B talks to Unit A), then I will see the conversation twice as I can talk with both units

1 Like

Did you set a completion flag?

2 Likes

nope, I do not really know much about flags (just started to learn FE-Builder)
but I will assume, it s some sort of true/false thing, like completed = true, and then a condition for the event?

1 Like

Yeah, the flag is basically a check to see if that talk conversation has occurred already. So for example,

When you have Bert talk to Alicia, the game will set Completion Flag “Temporary Flag 08” to True, meaning that the talk cannot happen again.

2 Likes

@SilverManedWolf yes, managed to do it! thanks for the screenshot, helped a lot : )

should I close this thread or mark it as solved? I assume, for other questions, I should reopen a new thread, right?

1 Like

No problem! I enjoy helping people out.

1 Like

For other questions it is better to make a new thread. You can solve the thread by selecting the best answer. It is okay if it does not have one though. Some people don’t select an answer, yet they leave the thread closed. :laughing:

1 Like

nooo, I cannot choose a best answer, both of you helped me!
in that case, I will just leave it as it is : )

1 Like

be sure to set conversations to different flags if you plan on doing multiple, if they’re set to the same flag you will only be able to select one. I suppose you could do something with that like a Deen and Sonya situation where you’ll only be able to talk to one character.

2 Likes

sorry I somehow missed your comment!
thanks for the info : )

1 Like

no problem, just what I found when playtesting my own hack and I thought I’d share it with you

1 Like

thanks, I probably will need multiple conversations between different characters per chapter, as I want to make it more story-driven and relation-based
do you know maybe, if I can use the same flags (for talks) every chapter again? I think the defeat boss flag works that way, or?

the completion flags are only set for one chapter, the flags reset upon moving to a different chapter so for example you can activate completion flag A in chapter one and then set a different event to flag A in chapter two and still be able to activate it in game.

1 Like

nice, that s exactly what I needed! thanks, mate : )

1 Like

Hi!
Sorry to necro, but I can’t seem to find the yellow bubble patch, or option. The one that highlights when a character has a talk option. Do you know what its called?

I tried looking as well, but couldn’t find it. I do know that it is part of the skill system patch.

1 Like

Oh, I’ll definetly use that then. Thanks!

1 Like

I believe in builder it’s bundled with HP bars patch.

2 Likes