FE_Builder_GBA -- If you have any questions, attach report7z

I already closed the program so I can’t really get any more information, but I was playing around with resizing a lot so it could have just been a mistake on my part. The message would appear whenever I tried to resize the map after the initial error occurred. I’ll play around with the map editor some more and let you know if that ever happens again.

Edit: I think I know what went wrong. When I was trying to shrink my map back down, I pressed Undo instead of the Resize button. It looks like this is what causes the scrambling.

1 Like

First i’d like to say great work on this! Second I’d like to inform you of a bug I’ve found while playing around with this. It has to do with inserting animations in fe6 (I haven’t had issues doing so in fe7 or fe8). As I insert more animations, the older ones I have inserted . . . well they change.

it puts later frames from the animations over previous. and it will affect most (not all) of the custom animations I’ve added specifically. With one notable exception.

Out of all the base animations in the game none of them mess up after adding in new ones, except the 1st, the armor knight lance animation. Now I’ve spent a few hours testing this to try and find more information on what affects this but regarless of the inserting method (I tried with both the battle animation text format and FEEditor Serialized form) it happens, and seems to be fairly random in what custon animations it affects.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be detailed.

1 Like

You’re not alone; I’ve been having the same issue but with FE8, not 6.
What I did was simply re-import the animation and click “write to rom” again and this appears to fix the issue, but it might be causing another problem.
I’ve been trying to import the Halberdier 2.0 animation from here, but it has mixed results.
It looks fine when used for player-controlled characters, as seen here:

But it looks like a horrible mess when imported for enemies, as seen here:

For additional reference, I overwrote Amelia’s recruit animation, located at 88AF3E4, for the new animation. The ugly black palette happens both when the animation is assigned to characters like O’Neill, who has a unique palette (I think) and generic enemies.

1 Like

Anyway, I fixed it.
https://ux.getuploader.com/FE4/download/382

However, I do not understand why it has become a strange number and it reason.
I can not reproduce it.

There are places where U.NOT_FOUND = 0xFFFFFFFF is returned when pointers etc are not found.
However, this time it is not a pointer.
The contents pointed to by the pointer is 0xFFFFFFFF.

Please let me know when it occurs again.

1 Like

Is this bug healed with the latest version?

In the old version, there certainly was a bug.
I forgot to create an enemy’s animated palette with battle animation.
I only made my own animated palette. orz

Therefore, enemy pallet does not exist, it becomes black.

In the new version, we made enemy pallets, NPC pallets and gray palettes correctly.
Therefore, I think that it will be settled if you import the broken battle animation again with the new version.

2 Likes

this problem, when inserting animation in FE6, is it displayed in conjunction with animeID: 1?
I tried adding some animations with FE 6, but I did not reproduce it.

Could you tell me the procedure to reproduce the bug?
How can I reproduce the bug?

2 Likes

Sorry been busy today, give me an hour or so and I’ll be home. From memory though I did repoint and expand the table. That could possibly have something to do with it?

1 Like

When pointers are not found, we are returning U.NOT_FOUND = 0xFFFFFFFF.
Therefore, when you can not find a pointer you can understand this.
However, this time there is a possibility that this value is written in the contents of the pointer.
The width and height of the map are obtained from ROM map data and map change data.
This value may be strange or it may be referring to a strange pointer.

Or, it may be a mistake in calculation, -1 or some minus value.
This is also possible because it is resizing the width of the map height.
I checked it, but it may have been leaked.

After all, either method can become -1.
Why did that happen? There is no basis yet to clearly explain.

1 Like

Extension is an extension of battle animation list?
In FE 6 (en ported version), I expanded battle animation and tried it.
it did not reproduce…

As it is OK at a later date, please tell me how to reproduce.

1 Like

Hmm I updated and I’m still having the issue. What happens is that I import a battle animation and that animation imports fine, but other already imported battle animations change. Somehow me importing an animation is affecting other animations. Is there anything I can do to try and help you solve the issue?

1 Like

Could you give me a UPS patch to that ROM?

And please explain in detail how to reproduce.
I’d like to know what number of battle animation it is wrong to overwrite what battle animation.
Please also provide the file of overwritten battle animation.

I am not able to repair the bugs that I do not reproduce.
(Even if I cure it, I can not check if I am cured or not.)

1 Like

The palette is no longer black in the newest version, but the enemy uses the blue character palette instead of a red one. Is there a place I can change this in the editor? I do not believe the problem is the animation. It has worked well with other editors. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

You can do it from the link of the part called “Palette”.

You can also change the palette value directly …
Export it and drop it on the image,
After changing the palette with graphic software,
Import might be easier.

(I used EDGE this time, it is a popular graphics software at Japanese remodeling community, of course, it can be other software.)

2 Likes

here is a UPS patch for my rom. Really all I did was repoint and expand the animation table and then start importing animations past 7A. And as for the number of animations it affects, it seems random each time I import an animation some of the others change. Sometimes it makes some of them work fine again, it’s pretty strange. There doesn’t seem to be any pattern. Though the only animation from the original animations that ever messes up from this, is 01 in the list. The Armor Knight lance animation.

1 Like

thnak you.
I downloaded it.

Sure, something is wrong.
I think it will take a while because I have to investigate what is happening.

1 Like

If you re-import the broken battle animation all in a latest version, I think that it will cure.

1. In battle animation, some animations originally have sheets that share sheets.
    The new FeBuilderGBA has a routine to avoid sheet sharing, but for older ones this routine was incomplete.

2. When expanding the list, the newly expanded part is filled with the first data in the list.
    If it is null, do not know the difference from the end. So FEBuilderGBA fills using the first data in the list.

3. To save space, when animation is inserted, reuse the place where the old animation was in.
    If it can not be reused, it will be newly allocated from the free space, but in order to save it, we try to reuse it as much as possible.

I think that the problem of this time is the result of (1) (2) (3) being combined.

By expanding the list by (2), the second half of the list was filled with the first battle animation.
However, the battle animation pointer value was the same and shared the sheets.
So, when a new animation was inserted, it seems that wrong use was caused by (1) and (3).

Currently, we use battle animation name as a hint and check duplication of sheets for all animation.
If “NAME” of the battle animation “NAME_ACTION” is the same animation, we check to see if we are sharing sheets.
As a result, in the latest version, wrong usage will not occur. It is safe unless you intentionally change the battle animation name.
The older version had problems checking the sheets of data before and after the battle animation inserted, so there was a problem.

Therefore, as a solution, as I wrote in the beginning,
I think that it is “to import all broken battle animation with latest version again”.

I hope this will fix this, but what about it?
As far as I am trying, battle animation that I overwrote with the latest version seems to be working properly.

1 Like

I’m still having the issue on the newest version. I’m getting off for the night now, but if you need more details ask and I’ll respond when I can.

1 Like

Would you solve it even if battle animation is overwritten in the latest version?

What will happen to not be solved?
Even if you overwrite battle animation with the latest version, will it remain broken?

Please tell me more concretely.

1 Like

Heya, new user here getting into Fire Emblem hacking. I’ve been using FE Builder to make a small Sacred Stones hack, and I gotta say, it works really well! I’ve only had a few problems, one of which comes in trying to change a unit’s class.

Editing the class pointer in the Unit Place editor works most of the time, but in the case of Moulder and Vanessa, they show up in your unit menu on the world map before they show up on any chapter map. Seemingly because of this, they are locked into their base classes when I try to edit the pointer in the chapter unit placer. Specifically, I am trying to change their classes using the Unit Placer in chapter 2, and they still show up as their normal classes. I’m having trouble finding a solution to this problem, and any advice would help. Thanks in advance

1 Like

“Mulder” is set to become a companion in the 0x38 chapter Frelia castle’s opening event.
Therefore, you need to change it.
(The opening event of Frelia Castle is interesting and it will be executed even on a new journey(After Chapter 9 clear).)

Once a unit becomes a joined the class is used when you become a join for the first time.
This is the specification of the FE program.

0x38 At the opening event of Frelia castle, because Mulder is there, I changed his class to Berserker(バーサーカー).
It is working properly.

1 Like