FE_Builder_GBA -- If you have any questions, attach report7z

In the start event, set counters 0 and 1 to 3.

Win condition: Range event, when one of the NPCs reaches the escape point, decrement counter 0. If counter 0 is equal to 0, clear the chapter.

Defeat condition: Have the NPCs’ death quotes trigger flag A (for example). Have an always event triggered by flag A which unsets flag A and decrements counter 1. If counter 1 is equal to 0, cause a game over.

This is not the only way to do this, but I think it’s simpler and you don’t have to use multiple unit IDs/flags for this.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the attention and effort being put into my issue! ^^

I tested the small correction that @knabepicer suggested (turning off flagC when fired) and from some quick testing it seems to be already working as intended. Though based on the continued discussions I assume there’s easily potential for more bugs that I’ve not triggered yet…

There are no enemies set to escape, so I don’t think there should be an issue with who escaped, as @7743 suggested. Unless I misunderstood your point.

With it currently looking like the chapter is working, I’ll probably just continue for now. When I get more playtesters later I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on this chapter, and will refer to all the help you guys offered to tinker further if needed. Failing a permanent fix I’ll opt for a simpler solution, though between both your answers and the suggestion @Shuusuke offered I’m confident I can get it working!

Thanks again for all the help!

1 Like

Whenever I end player phase on Chapter 11 of Eirika route, the game freezes on the Enemy Phase transition. Strangely, this error doesn’t occur if I don’t move anybody at all.

Report 7z: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jt5l1nDELMHgrp4Nhy1eoflS7nb8Leqa/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: I encountered more errors as I played the chapter, such as it spontaneously restarting for no reason, the Runesword Bonewalker having no HP and glitching the graphics after combat and random actions seemingly affecting how the enemy phase turns out. Sometimes when I do a very specific set of movement on player phase, it restarts the game/freezes and other times it proceeds like normal. I have no idea what’s happening.

This freeze also occurred in the last backup attached to report7z, “2021/03/01 21:51:20”.
I need an older, working backup.

Use MENU-> Tools-> Diff debug tool to find the last working backup and send the UPS data.

Encountering a bit of a weird visual problem. This happens whenever I select a specific unit for battle (in this case, Celes as a Witch), save in preps and then reset the game. She then turns into a Paladin for no reason at all. The same issue also occurred with a character replacing Joshua, who is an Archer. After Chapter 5x, they became a Cavalier in the preps of Chapter 6. What gives? Just an FYI, this issue doesn’t occur if the chapter is played normally (IE entering preps with Celes at the bottom of the unit selection screen).

Report 7z: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AN7AAA2v6XDyHqXrRNkfiO482TvdqPdT/view?usp=sharing

You extended the class list but did not apply the ExModularSave patch as you were instructed. Because of this, extended classes aren’t saved. Just apply the patch and it will be fixed.

Witch is ID 0x88, without EMS it gets saved as 0x08, which is the ID for Paladin.

EDIT: Also, a recommendation, if you’re going to extend the class list, extend it to the maximum size to begin with. Every time you extend a list you have to repoint it, which wastes space.

I have an issue where the game only shows the title screen and then it get’s black but the music keeps playing.
report7z: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzSOIV2sUYGKvlnch2jB-A8Tf2eJaEc_/view?usp=sharing

When I load the game to the emulator it shows the title screen, then I press start and the screen gets black while just the music sounds.

I tried it with both VBA-M and mGBA but it didn’t reproduce.

You seem to be using an emulator called RascalBoy, which may be the problem.
We recommend using another emulator.

1 Like

I also agree with Shuusuke’s opinion.
I think this is a problem caused by forgetting to insert the EMS.

I mean when I load it into VBA, but i have rascalboy as defaul so I’ll try by changing the defaul, .

Edit, I tried and now it works

I found the cause.
This is because you used characters that are not available.
“!” Cannot be used as a chapter name.
Please delete the “!”.

Also, I’m worried that you’re doing something non-standard.
Are you testing by pressing F5?
This time, even if the sav file is “Fire Emblem - Water cycle.sav”, it should be “Fire Emblem - Water cycle.emulator.sav”.

Instead of writing to ROM all at once, first press the F5 key to test.
If there is no problem, write it to ROM.

ok, I’ll have everything in account

I dunno. I installed ExModularSave, but it wiped all my save data, turned everyone into Ephraim Lords and blackened the title screen. It might’ve been due to my prior tampering with the ROM, but the patch seemed to have caused more harm than good. Like, unplayable levels of harm.

The patch changes the saving process, so previous save files naturally are lost. Use a savestate then save normally.

If that doesn’t work, just play up back to where you were, it’s easy with febuilder’s debugger and there’s no avoiding this. It’s either this or not having extended classes.

all of a sudden, beep, Black title screen I didn’t tamper with the rom that much, did not use any unsafe features but…here I am. Tbh I didn’t do that much but I want to know what the problem could be so that I don’t do it again
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/131ceM4WABp_Wk9m3UShWThQMhiYrvqS3?usp=sharing

https://mega.nz/file/lwhBAapL#vfH3EiAxBAotOMbWRg-Ru6bLZDpjJ745YYOFicgh-z8

White title screen happened around when I started tampering with events.

The save data expansion will change the save data format, so all existing save data will no longer be available.
At this time, FE8U may cause the title screen to go black.
As a workaround, delete the sav file. del ROMNAME.sav , del ROMNAME.emulator.sav
Having an old format sav file is the cause of the problem.

That’s why I don’t recommend the class extension to beginners, because it’s troublesome.

Did you uninstall the Anti-Huffman Patch?
That is the act that triggered the problem.

and You have extended the text table.

The Anti-Huffman Patch is installed in the part of the process that is responsible for accessing the text table.
In other words, Anti-Huffman and extended the text table change similar parts.

In this situation, if you Uninstall Anti-Huffman when only Anti-Huffman is not installed in the past backups, the vanilla data will be used to delete Anti-Huffman.
Then, the process of accessing the text table will also be rolled back to vanilla.
Thus, you are now back to accessing the old text table instead of the one you expanded.
When you expand a table, FEBuilderGBA will clear the original table to null.
Therefore, the old text table is a sea of nulls, and that’s where you end up accessing it.
So, the game will hang up.

As a workaround, do not Uninstall AntiHuffman.
There is not a single advantage to uninstalling this patch.
I recommend that you go back to the previous backup.

This is because you broke 0xA40.

0xA40 is in the middle of the AgbMain function starting at 0xA20.
The game is crashing because You broke it.
Why did you rewrite such a place?

According to the record, it is working properly until 2021/03/10 12:02:52.
It is broken from 2021/03/10 21:55:51.

NG 2021/03/10 21:55:51
OK 2021/03/10 12:02:52

I think you’ve done something wrong in the last 10 hours.
Probably, I think that You wrote the data with the wrong address.

I have attached the fixed UPS.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/470029781795078175/820788273139023893/Sacred_Stones_Hiwu_Edition.PATCH.20210315073243.7z

Thanks. I think I was trying to add dialogue and did not know what I was doing.