Enemy Unit Data

Hello,

I have recently watched the below video on a statistical model for determining unit effectiveness. Given that I was inspired to review other games based on this. I have started playing FE7 normal mode (I plan to take the enemy data for both normal and hard for the sake of calculations) and writing down every enemies stats I came across to construct a spreadsheet for it. I am not sure if this is the right place or not but I also was unable to find anything on the subject. I was wondering if there was a way (and how to do it) to grab the enemy data straight from the ROM as opposed to playing through the game and marking down every enemy. It is rather time consuming…

The video seems to be unavailable so I will say it is from Excelblem. He does a statistical analysis of FE8 enemies compared to character units to determine overall effectiveness.

If you just want to manually peruse some stats of units, I would recommend febuilder. You can open up whichever chapter, view the units in it, and see a preview of what stats they should have. (Approx. since some enemies have stat variation.)

If you want to automate it, you’d want to use event assembler’s disassembly of chapters.

(Only the prologue has unit names labelled like this for you.)

Here is fe8u’s prologue, for example. There are scripts in there to generate these files for fe6/fe7, too. You’d then need to calculate unit stats based on character, class, and level. You can export the character/class tables you’d need from the rom using febuilder (double click “Selection” while in the Character Menu). It would be a bit of a pain to set up, but it should work.

However, you’d still have to manually make sense of the unit groups yourself. The disassembler just spits out numbers - unit id 0xF in class 0x7 would be Ephraim as a Paladin, I think - but with unit groups not really making any distinction about whether they’re used only in a cutscene or not, it can be hard to make sense of everything.

Ideally I would like to be able to take the data and put it on a spreadsheet and interpret it from there.

You’d need to parse the files for lines starting with “unit” and save it to a spreadsheet, then