Do You Play FE Fangames Without Audio?

Hey all,

Since community polls are all the rage these days I figured I’d make one about something I’m interested in.

Fill in the blank: “I _____ play FE fangames muted.”

• never
  • rarely
  • sometimes
  • often
  • always

0 voters

6 Likes

If the hack’s music is as loud as a jet engine, I’ll probably mute the music and turn on something else.
Other than that, I always leave music on because I think it’s an important part of the experience.

7 Likes

I first clicked “always” because I instinctively assumed the question to be “Are you playing with audio?”. Fortunately, I read the statement afterwards and could switch to the opposite, hah.

1 Like

I guess the phrasing of the title could’ve thrown you off so I tweaked the title to prime readers for the negative.

Thanks.

1 Like

only of the ost is vanilla or is extremely low quality (dummy instruments, excessive volume, etc)

1 Like

I usually play emulated games muted these days, hacks or otherwise. I mash the turbo button way too much and it just sounds like ass.

1 Like

One thing I like about recording is that it discourages me from using turbo.

I usually try to listen to the ost when playing myself tho. I like attempting to experience the game as the dev presumably intended it to be played

Sometimes tho you just gotta blare some jazz instead.

3 Likes

When I (re)play a FE game or hack purely for the gameplay I tend to have something else on my second monitor or listen to an audiobook, so the sound gets muted in that case, but in my first playthrough I usually pay full attention to the game and want to hear the music the maker intended.

1 Like

i voted in the completely wrong end of the spectrum lol.

I only mute if the music quality or taste is absolute trash, like Last Promise.

3 Likes

I play most fan games in class sooooooo

3 Likes

I pretty much do what PentV does. too loud is bad. other then that most sound tracks dont bother me. I only ran into 1 custom to my memory where it was too loud even on .25 pct volume and my sound settings to almost min.

1 Like

I play during work so It’s gotta be muted lol

4 Likes

I play before going to sleep, or when im in the train, so usually i dont turn on volume there. But when im playing in a good moment, i always turn it on.

1 Like

I don’t mute.
I want to enjoy the author’s sense of song selection.

6 Likes

The only circumstances I turn off fangame audio is if the existing soundtrack is just vanilla (especially Distant Roads), or if I really don’t like a song choice because it has dummy instruments or an extremely short loop or something.

1 Like

I’ll go into the options and turn off the music if the music is badly made/ported and hurts my ears, but even in that case I’ll still leave the sound effects on. I used to do this way more back in the FE7 days, when music was more likely to be vanilla and I got sick of hearing Lyn/Eliwood/etc themes over and over again. FE8 music is much fresher to me.

2 Likes

This seems like a baffling thing to do. Imagine if playing hacks muted was the community norm, then no one would’ve ever heard Kelik’s theme.

2 Likes

Never.
I barely even do this while playing official games. Sometimes there I’ll make an exception and play while listening on my headphones to Youtube videos, however with the hacks I really enjoy the music in them. It’s always different, and it almost always hits the mark for me.