Do you believe that the rom hacking scene of Fire Emblem has entered a 'renaissance'?

Oh that’s what you meant. My bad.

I think the combination of high-quality tools, documentation, and free-to-use art and technical assets have really pushed FE GBA hacking far beyond what anyone could have anticipated 5 years ago. As someone who fiddled with Nightmare back in the day, hacking is wildly more accessible than it’s ever been.

With greater accessibility, it’s natural that there would be a higher volume of projects. Sure, not all of these will be to your tastes, and each will be made by a different creator with different goals and priorities. But I’d rather everybody be able to enjoy the hobby than not, and there’s a lot of different ways to enjoy this hobby. Some love seeing their characters come to life in the FE GBA medium they love, others love experimenting with atypical gameplay ideas, and others still love to unravel the mysteries of the pre-compiled binary that is FE8.

People are having fun doing what they’re doing, from what I can tell. I can’t speak for what “external perception” of the community may be, but from a creator standpoint, things have never been peachier.

6 Likes

It is very good state of affairs when many works are produced.
At the very least, I think it is a better state than one in which only a few works are produced.

To hit home run, we have to swing the bat.
At least, if no one swings the bat, we cannot hit home run.
The more people who swing the bat, the greater the chance of hitting a home run.

I think that with the creation of many works, there will be many people who hit home runs.

Some projects may unfortunately end up not hitting a home run.
But the results of that work will influence other works.
I think that the events, stories, and animations that were developed in that work will live on to influence other works.
I believe that every work has its own value.

27 Likes

Preach!

I detest when I hear people talk about “wasted potential” of an incomplete project or something that died before it was finished - I 100% that every project can help influence others even if it isn’t a finished form or widely regarded as a great hack.

5 Likes

I agree it’s true every project has some amount of influence, but a complete project would have more influence and be better because more work would have gone into it, potential has still been wasted, or I guess more accurately lost. Not saying you should always complete projects because you’ll be losing their potential, it’s about fun and if you work on something past the point of it being fun then its potential is lowered and working on something you actually enjoy probably will have more potential, maybe maybe not.

For me, my first project (FFX Remake) paved the way for me to create pokemblem. I think it was a good decision to leave the former as incomplete.

I mean, sure, it’d be nice if every project were complete and they might have more of an impact, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have incomplete projects around, and in my case it helped me.

I don’t consider FE6 truly hacked until someone implements blinking frames there.

is this a challenge?

7 Likes

so what would you call the time before the renaissance?

1 Like

Well, in history, it was the middle (And a bit earlier, the dark) age. I wouldn’t say we’ve had a dark ages, at least that I know of. I’d say the start of the middle/gold age of FE hacking was the release of TLP.

1 Like

Think I can agree there. The golden age started and ended long before things hit this platform

In the old days, bad hacks are also made but you have few choices. Nowadays you have more choices at least. Compared with the past, if your hack is not good enough, less people are willing to play it. It encourages creators to make better hacks.

2 Likes

Plottwist:TLP was the dark age, but it disguised itself as part of the golden age.

1 Like

Or perhaps we’ve entered the classic age, and will soon stumble toward the enlightenment age. The horror!

What if we just made hack proyect instead of trying to define hacking proyect ages?

6 Likes

we’re actually in the age of calamity

only time will tell whether our lord and savior circles was sent back in time or if our hero is going to have to sleep for 100 years

7 Likes

elibian nights for instance gained a lot of notoriety and most likely drew more people into the hacking scene