A Good Software To Use For Creating Pixel Art?

What tool to use to pixel art or draw?

1 Like

Paint is what I use, as it is straightforward. But others may recommend something like GraphicsGale or AseSprite for animations, as they have some special tools for those kinds of things.

1 Like

You can use MS Paint or Piskel if you want a quick and simple option. But if you want a reliable application, GIMP or Aseprite works really well.

1 Like

One more thing I forgot to mention, CGs, if you want them to have more than 16 colors, require knowledge of how TSA works. Don’t ask me about TSA, I don’t understand it too much either.

1 Like

Aseprite is my go-to these days for animation and general pixel art, is a paid program tho. I like it a ton, was def worth the 20 bucks

1 Like

No one agrees with me, but i always like to use Usenti for regular sprites, if its for animations, go for asesprite.

2 Likes

Usenti works fine and is free, but I’d recommend Aesprite if you want something better and are willing to pay 20 bucks.

1 Like

Well, lets say… you dont necessarily need to “pay”, i got it this way, but im not going to say more.

4 Likes

Hmmmmm, Asprite and usenti seem interestring :v. I already have GIMP, thanks guys!

Don’t use Paint. I use GIMP, mainly because it has a very usefull tool - you see is if click on a pixel with the ctrl key it takes the color to the brush. It’s very useful and makes spriting so much quicker.

1 Like

When I make portraits I use Paint(dot)NET for layers and minis, and Usenti for coloring and formatting.

When I make animations, I use Usenti almost exclusively, and I need to make curves for in-between weapon slashes, I do them in Paint(dot)NET.

1 Like

For portraits I use Paint.net mostly and then I finish it up in Usenti.

For GUI and such where tiles matter I use Usenti for the vast majority of the work and use Paint.net to occasionally assist.

With regards to things to do with animations, ideally you want to be using something that can display the actual animation and also has common tools to assist with animation like onion skinning. Aesprite and GraphicsGale are ideal for this. I would argue you should be using such a function for portraits as well due to the talking frames. I do not do this however since I’m lazy. I should do, though.