COVID-19 discussion

During the Oil Crisis in 1973, toilet paper was bought up.
Toilet paper was bought by people tricked by hoaxes.
Probably a product that is easily targeted by hoaxes.

Used every day.
Consumer good. this product that will go away when used. Cannot be reused.
Long-term storage is possible.
Cheap enough for everyone to buy.

5 Likes

I’m an asian so i am gonna ask you eu/us guy about something : why tissue?

I’m an Asian guy in the EU (well, sort of :uk:) and I have no idea either.

I don’t know why the hell people are buying toilet paper out of all things, even some news media people thinks that’s weird

I think this would be the most appropriate place to put this regarding the content
Toilet paper $100 a roll accepting cash only

1 Like

I think it started because somebody said in Social Media that China is the biggest manufacturer of toilet paper and they have stopped the production and exportation, and eventually the toilet paper would ran out in stores around the world.
Needless to say that this is stupid, since almost every country has its own paper toilet factories or they import it from another country than China.

In my country there are at least 5 toilet paper factories, and still people are buying it in bulk as if the world is going to end by diarhea.

Just another example of mass hysteria and misinformation.

3 Likes

Post hoaxes on SNS and shared.
Stupid people who see it start buying one or two more and publish what they bought on SNS.
Incited by it, others start buying extra.
//Because it is a cheap product that can be stored for a long period of time, it is easy to buy a lot.

This creates much more demand than usual and begins to reduce merchandise from stores.
The TV media hears it and reports it.
People who see the TV buy more products.
Some people buy it for resale.
Supply and demand are broken, and goods disappear from stores.
Even if it arranged in a store, the people crowded and a large line was formed , and the unit price will be low, so they will not want to sell it the store.

Over time, consumers will regain their cool and products will line up in stores.
Then, the state returns to the original state.

Most hoaxes are trivial in their origins.
Still, those instigated people begin to break the balance.

6 Likes

I guess that’s fair enough