CCC - Character Compounding Contest! (Round One Complete: Anna and Jake!)

Hey guys, welcome to the all-new project for expanding the Portrait Repo, creating cool alternates of existing characters, and making resources for the community to use!

Recently, I’ve been hard at work on reorganizing the Portrait Repository, and things are looking good! We’ve still got work to do editing things like character names, sorting each individual artist’s community folder, and so on, but work is progressing smoothly. I typically work on about 30-50 mugs a day. Anyway, as I worked, I realized that there was a unique opportunity here to really expand the Repo’s contents in a way most people would enjoy.

What is a type of mug that pretty much everyone likes? That’s right; a character in an alternate outfit, or with an alternate design.
https://i.imgur.com/cQMWEjm.png
So, the purpose of this contest is simple. Take an existing character, give them a new outfit or a new design.
-The design can be simple, like giving Echidna a cutesy redesign. (Sprite by Redbean)
-The design can be really big and crazy, like converting Anna to a demonic Anna. (Original sprite created by the community during a Mug Medley)
-The design can also be somewhere in-between, like giving Eliwood a cool new suit of armor. (Sprite by user ‘Sacred Stones’)

The general idea of this contest is to emulate Fire Emblem Heroes by giving characters from the mainline FE games alternate designs, ranging from cool to weird to bizarre. The more submissions, the better!

Now that we know what the contest’s purpose is, let’s move on to the rules!

1. All submissions to this contest will be F2U, or even F2E if the submitter is okay with that! This contest involves expanding the resources available for the Portrait Repository, so this is mandatory.
  2. Each round of the contest will feature two mugs; a male and a female character. (Unisex characters can count too; they take up the male or female slot at the host’s discretion)
  3. Artists may create an alternate outfit/design/etc for one or both characters, if they wish.
  4. You may submit multiple designs, if you wish. They will all count toward your one submission vote. (Voters will vote on all of the works you created for the two mugs at once)
  5. No pre-existing artwork! The point of this contest is to expand the repo, so we want new art. Also, it’s unfair to compete against artwork that may have had weeks or months of editing work put into it.
  6. Eye/mouth frames are preferable, but optional. They aren’t necessary, but it would be awesome if you included them!
  7. Characters must be from Fire Emblem 1-16 (Or whatever the current new game ends up being) or one of the Fire Emblem spinoffs, such as Heroes.
  8. All characters must be sprited in GBA format!
    (Hackbox size is not necessary)
    (Halfbodies/fullbodies are A-OK!)
    (Do try to keep the color count at or below 16 though, that would be great)
  9. Submissions must at least somewhat resemble the original character! Even with the Demon Anna example earlier, it’s still possible to see that she looks like Anna; use that as the extreme guideline.

The winner of each round becomes the host and picks two mugs for the next round! If you want the community to work hard toward making designs for your favorite waifu/husbando, you’ll have to get that top vote!

This competition is very casual. It’s not intended to be a hardcore demonstration of spriting prowess or anything, though that can be fun, too. The primary purpose is to create lots of cool mugs for the community to use.

With all that in mind, I thought a great way to start the first round off would be by using Anna and Jake! As the mascot for Fire Emblem, Anna has been in many games and has many designs. Meanwhile, Jake, her husband(boyfriend? I don’t know what their exact relationship is) has been in several games as well, and sort of serves as a co-mascot!

Here are some of the mugs that Anna and Jake have used.

If you want some inspiration, Jake and Anna both have wiki pages dedicated to their artwork and appearances. Maybe those could make for good alternate outfits, eh?
Anna: Anna/Gallery | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom
Jake: Jake | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

That’s it! Whoever wins gets to pick the next two characters, so go, go, go!

EDIT: Round One complete! Melia won with 54 points!

16 Likes

If only I’d decided to make my Mercannary a few weeks later, oh well, I’ll see what I can cook up for this.

1 Like

I request a Bartre and…Fir for round 2.
hehehe.

Well, if you post a really good Anna and/or Jake and win the round, you can choose anyone you want!

Maybe I’ll submit something but I’ll see if it works out. We can post finished mugs just below here, right?

The idea is great I hope people will participate.

I think the relationship of Anna and Jake depends on the game. Most of the time they’re in a relationship but not married. Speaking of Jake, he get’s not as much love as Anna. It would be really cool if they’d just decide to make an Askr-Jake of some sorts in Heroes at one day…

With that being said… If there are multiple Annas, shouldn’t there be multiple Jakes as well? :thinking:

You mean in the OP? I included the only one I know about lol.

Yep! Just post it here.

My bad, I meant multiple Jakes in-universe. That means, like, if we have a bunch of Annas in that universe, there should be a bunch of Jakes there as well xD

But maybe the Jakes just died out. That’s a certain possibility.
His last appearance must be in New Mystery if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Let me begin then…
True Anna True Jake
My submission is pretty unusual. I always had this head canon that Anna and Jake are some kind of supernatural divine beings sent to watch over the FE multiverse. That would explain how they manage to show up in almost every game, across hundreds of years and still look exactly the same. It also explains how Anna seems to be in multiple places at once (that is: bilocation).
So, I depict them as such in their “true” forms as beings of pure light and good, Lord’s Angels if you would.

May our guardian angels watch over us and give us good deals in shops!

(That they look like Fireboy and Watergirl is pure coincidence :))

10 Likes

I’ll throw something together for Cursed Cutting Crater later. For now, I’ll express my excitement at seeing more Annas that subvert space-time.

Damn that’s an awesome start

annaContest

Villager Anna! My first submission to one of these :star_struck:

5 Likes

We have Ultimate RNG Goddess Anna, and humble villager Anna. That’s quite the range of power levels!

imsorry
DDDAAbGFDFG

F2U/F2E

16 Likes

Me: Oh, RNG Goddess, please give me a good roll!
Sannas: You’re going to have a bad time.

3 Likes

May I present: Apotheosis Anna!
Anna
she probably has a gun
she probably has a knife
she probably will not hesitate
she will end your freaking life

5 Likes

May I ask what had changed besides the shirt color? Because I think I’m not getting something…

shirt, hair, and the band/bracelet thing on the arm

I mean is that a reference to something or just a recolor?

ahh, it’s a reference to Anna from the awakening DLC apotheosis.

1 Like

Ah. Never played the game.