Casual mode patch (fe8) is not working

So I’ve been using FEBuilderGBA for a few months now and run into plenty of hiccups with my project but have been able to fix most of them. This time, I’m kind of at a loss for what to do, I could probably figure it out but at this point I’ll take all the help I can get.

I used a patch to install the casual mode select screen, and when I played casual mode it seemed to work fine. Fallen units still returned in the next chapter, as expected, but then I discovered that it would erase all of their support points. I ended up finding a patch that said it would fix this bug, but…it didn’t work. :frowning:

So at this point I wasn’t really sure what to do, because it was saying the patch was applied but was not doing what it said it would do. I went and removed a patch called CasualMode (ver Flag B0) or something like that because I thought “huh, I don’t remember writing this, maybe this is confusing it?”

Funny thing is, after I unwrote it, it displayed one of those messages saying I couldn’t write it because it clashed with the casual mode select screen patch. (even though I’m pretty sure it got automatically written when I wrote that one…) Naturally I took this to mean that those two patches wouldn’t work with each other and figured that might somehow be why the support thing wasn’t working.

Then, I saw that after that, it also automatically unwrote the support patch (I did check in another backup and the support patch was supposedly still written before I unwrote the Flag B0 one, so the events were apparently connected). So I just wrote it again, tested it by having some units support and let one of them get killed, and it seemed to work. The support was still there!

However, I have discovered that casual mode no longer works right and fallen units are not returning anymore. I suspect this has something to do with that Flag B0 thing because it worked before I unwrote that. But what I want to know is: how do I get casual mode to work AND have the support points not disappear?

(I had thought about manually adding in something at the end of every chapter end event to check if you were on casual mode and force units to rejoin your team, but it seems the rejoin unit command doesn’t work on fallen units. Is there any command that does? Because if so I might be able to fix it that way if there’s no other way to make everything work.)

Yeah I think there’s a couple different issues here:

The 2-3 casual mode patches will mistakenly display as all being installed when only one is installed.

The “support bonuses don’t get wiped” patch and casual mode patch both rewrite the “unit dies” routine, and so are mutually exclusive.

If you wanted to try some manual thing to forcibly revive units, I’d recommend using UNCR (install this with a patch).

I just installed a patch that said it had UNCR but I can’t find it in event editor. I searched “UNCR” but it didn’t come up. Is it not in event editor? And if so, how do I access it?

This patch?

Ah, no, I was being stupid. :joy: I used the Death to Player Unit one and saw it reference UNCR so I thought that was the one that installed it lol.

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

@7743 we should change casual mode patches to not clear supports

Casual mode code
.thumb
.org 0
CasualMode:
@check for something

push {r4}
mov r4,r2

bl CasualCheck

cmp r0, #0
bne Retreat
mov r3, #5
b Main
Retreat:
mov r3,#9

@original code:
Main:
ldr r0,[r4,#0xc]
mov r1,#5
mvn r1,r1
and r0,r1 @unkill unit (needed for pair up compatibility)
mov r1,r3 @5 for dead, 9 for retreated
orr r0,r1
str r0,[r4,#0xc]
mov r0,r4
ldr r3,=0x80283e1
bl goto_r3
pop {r4}
ldr r3,=0x801842d
goto_r3:
bx r3

CasualCheck:
push {lr}
mov r0, #0xb0 @unused permanent event id
ldr r3,=0x8083da9
bl goto_r3
pop {pc}

Delete or change to nop:

ldr r3,=0x80283e1 //ClearUnitSupports
bl goto_r3

This code happens in all 3 versions and is an oversight by the authors

Edit:
ok I changed the 3 of them without testing
paste in your febuilder directory
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-6_siCnB_ZaVR7lL8xbcSmUdh-vxTahk/view?usp=sharing

hopefully it works

1 Like

I tested it and it seems to work! :slight_smile: Thanks! That saves me a lot of time lol.

1 Like

np

note that if you update febuilder it will replace all the patch files in its directory. That just means that unless 7743 changes the patch to exactly what I sent above, febuilder will think you don’t have the casual mode patch versions of what I sent. (If you ever want to uninstall it, you might need to paste the files into your feb directory again)

Ah, got it. I think I still have it in my downloads folder, so I can just copy it again if I need to.

Come to think of it, i think supports should be cleared when casual mode is off. This would be better

cmp r3, #9
beq SkipClearSupports
ldr r3,=0x80283e1
bl goto_r3
SkipClearSupports:

okay, I made that edit to the 3 of them now (same link as before)

previously I made it so supports never get cleared when units die, regardless of casual mode being enabled or not

now it should only clear supports when casual mode is off.

2 Likes