Casual Mode Hacks Break my ROMs

Hi, so I’m pretty retired from FE hacking, but I’m asking this question because my last hack (FE8 PLUS) apparently has an issue. I was alerted to the fact that the “Casual Mode” hack (the one that goes right after the difficulty selection menu) doesn’t work at all, and when I tested it, I found that they were right. Unfortunately, trying to find a solution has been a bit of a nightmare.

Basically, now, whenever I go into FEBuilder and install a Casual Mode hack onto a vanilla ROM, it causes the game to crash whenever it comes up. When I install the hack that comes right after the difficulty selection, it crashes during the transition. If I install the hack that puts Casual Mode in the options, the game crashes when scrolling through the options menu.

I have here a report with one of my FE8 PLUS ROMs (one where Casual Mode doesn’t work, but also doesn’t crash the game). If anybody could take a look to see why Casual Mode might not be working, please do so. Thanks for reading!

1 Like

The Casual Mode hacks need Anti-Huffman to also be installed.

1 Like

This patch is extremely poorly hooked up and is therefore susceptible to other patches.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/470029781795078175/972195364453101588/FE8_JP.PATCH.20220507025155.7z

1 Like

I see. I tried testing this out, and I got it to not crash the game! However, it still doesn’t work on a Vanilla ROM.

I see. Is there anything I can do? What’s the best way to get Casual Mode working via FEBuilder?

I am attaching the UPS that cured your ROM

1 Like

Thank you, it seems to work! I haven’t worked with FE hacking in forever, so I basically had no idea what to do. However, I sort of have a request. My FE8 PLUS hack has 3 versions, and I only included the JPN version. I was wondering if you could help me fix the other 2 versions of the patch (the Mix and US versions). If you could, that would be really helpful to me. Here is a link to those two patches. FE8 (US + Mix)