Battle Reset Button?

What do you guys think about a Battle Reset Button (abbr. BRB)? Essentially, what it would do is allow the player to immediately restart an ongoing battle, just like when you reset a GBA Fire Emblem game during one of its battles. The difference, however, is that the game will also reset the RNG state. This will, in turn, start a new battle that could change certain outcomes without changing any data beforehand.

What if you were in the middle of a crucial battle and miss a 89% hit? Maybe you got hit by two 30% hits in a row and desperately want to dodge the 3rd one? Perhaps you don’t want the enemy to crit or activate a certain skill? Or maybe you were careless/bored and forgot about a unit or two? The BRB would allow you to re-roll the dice and hope for a new outcome. It would work only once per battle per Player Phase and only once per Enemy/Other Phase. Once the battle is reset, there is no undoing it.

I wanted to hear others’ opinions on this idea. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I’m not just making a ROM hack for myself to play. What do you guys think? Is the concept of a BRB a good idea, a bad idea, or a completely unnecessary topic that didn’t need to exist?

Seems like the sort of thing that would be way too overpowered if available every phase, maybe only once per map, or requires a certain item or something.

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing around with the concept. Personally, I like the idea of it working once per turn, but I’m nowhere near as good of a modder to limit the RNG-shuffling during the Player Phase.

It’s more that if you allow it to work once per phase or even once per turn, you remove the strategic aspect of danger and unit preservation that FE has. Then again, I guess the series does have both Casual mode and Phoenix mode now.

I’m not convinced it would be a great addition but I suppose it’s not the worst idea.

I agree. This isn’t an idea I had in mind, but one that was pitched to me by some of my testplayers. In fact, the rhetorical questions I asked in paragraph 2 were actual complaints/experiences they had playing my hack (you can tell they don’t really like the old games). Personally, I think this leans more towards “handholding”, but I do see where they are coming from. I’m conflicted, so I’m asking people from here for advice.

Thanks for the input! :slight_smile:

that’s called the turnwheel lol

1 Like

I mean there’s both the turnwheel and save states so it sounds like a nice way to legitimise that sort of behaviour