Apparoid's Mountainous Lair of Stuff (Mainly Maps)

the overall disposition of palm trees was done really well, same goes for the sand placement.
considering that in some places like deserts the sand gets carried away by the winds and scattered in nearby areas, this one really looks like a natural seaside area.
the only thing that pops up is that bridge on the top right, because it feels a bit out of place, or rather it looks too flat without a shadow below it, like it’s been put directly at water level.
a sand path could be an alternative, but that’s just me i guess.
in any case, great job as usual~ :+1:

1 Like

I agree with Fenrieir’s sentiments on the bridge, initally I thought it was meant to be a pier, but it still looks strange for pier. As for the timelapses, I always enjoy watching those because its always interesting to see an artist’s methodology and process when working on things.

1 Like

So you may ask, Appa. Why did you all of a sudden update your Britain Continent even further?

And the answer, is that I’m gonna order really large posters of this map as well as Jugdral. And i was gonna refurbish both of them, but what i had planned for the other one would take more time than i have available for the deadline.

For this one specifically, i had to change the resolution size a little bit, so i decided to add a bit of the French coast, including Cherbourg, Caen, Normandy Beach & Calais. As week as did some mountain polishing and added the Shetland Islands out of peer pressure. However fitting the Shetlands were there actually supposed to be would make the dimensions too funky, so I threw it into a box in the corner.

Also somewhat related, and i posted it earlier in this thread but I don’t think it got much traction at the time. Go check out the 15 minute time-lapse of the island of Britain, featured on this map: GBA Britain Timelapse - YouTube

11 Likes

Did a makeover of one of the Lex Telephonis maps. Specifically Chapter 10 which was original designed by OmegaX128

The Original (If your curious)

11 Likes

now the map doesn’t look like cabbage grass with eggplant-colored water. good job.

1 Like

So this is uhh, a map. Took me about 3 days to do a custom tileset arrangement (not make it, to be clear. Just organizing it how I like them) and then make the map. Which is about 36x72 so exactly 1:2. But 3 days to do all of this especially if you’ve followed this thread long enough is unusually efficient for me XD

Regardless this one also happens to be the winning submission of Skitty’s 17th map context. So id like to take a second to thank you all for that as well as you who come in here on a regular basis. You know who you are :slightly_smiling_face:, and so do i :wink:.

If you want to checkout the goings on of that event, give these two threads a follow, or just the latter if your an observer. And give your submissions and votes.

11 Likes

So i won’t have anything done to show for a little bit (I could do progresses, but id rather not clutter the thread, also gifs are much nicer if I show wip outside of the forum)

That said, here’s a little teaser of something ill elaborate on at some point in the future.

8 Likes

Appa you starting a Geography class?!?

4 Likes

Yes, Appa will launch Geography classes soon. I know for sure, since I was his miserable test subject.
You definitely should post a pic once this is up your wall!

4 Likes

I don’t think I know how to write a post on this one anymore XD But this was a somewhat overkill submission I did for the map competition I mentioned earlier. The reason for it is because it was Three Hopes themed. And I had a music association that connected the Battle of Grondor to a rather famous Real-Life one in my head. And so I went ahead and did this much earlier than I should have.

Usually I like to avoid disclosing what these are based upon. But that’s not entirely important for this one. So I present to you, the Battle of Leipzig.

Also known as "The Battle of the Nations"

Battle of Leipzig

14 Likes

This map is huge, would this fit in a game? I can’t even imagine how long it would take to play this even with fe4 horse emblem

1 Like

Dude, are you a fan of Kaga?

I’ve gotten much better overtime about doing things oversized, but in this case its intentional since its late in the game, and also like a 4 sector defense map that’s supposed to be crazy for once. So much of it gets used, but you don’t traverse from A-B on it or anything like that.

Also ironically I made a hack called FE4 Horse Emblem XD

1 Like

I do enjoy playing FE4 once every other blue moon. But otherwise no. I’m more of a Tellius guy most of the time.

And despite that, I don’t make multi seize maps with the exception of continent maps, and those are meant to be either posters or cut into pieces for whatever use you wish.

1 Like

So this one is a bit special in regards to this thread as well as my own mapping journey. As it was the first of my new style of maps that I made about 6 months ago and since then I’ve gotten a bit more moderate with sizing and also much better with variation.

This is a downsize of my first chapter, or the port… with a turtle in the middle of it which was as bob ross would say, a “happy accident”.

Before & After (this time not a gif, but rather a comparison. Shocking…)

And in particular, how the heck did my mountains improve this much this quickly? I mean this hyper jagged style I do these days was in full swing with the second one. So idk how I went from lazy ones on the British Isles to this sort of thing in like two months. But regardless its very interesting to look back on.

6 Likes

Your maps are majestic omg. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

So Appa, when’re you gonna use those maps in a romhack? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Fe4_2.0

1 Like

To be honest, i got so used to these, that i forgot I was supposed to show em. So here they are a month late.

Both are essentially giant stickers

16 Likes

Shiiiet, that looks real neat

2 Likes