An Introduction and a Proposition

@Crazycolorz5
What in the hell, where are you mystical people coming from? XD
I don’t know, I suggested an idea earlier to @Icecube regarding scaling range for archers/mages(IE the range would begin at 2-2 for archers and as their Skill+Strength stat increases, their range also does, capping at 2-4 for normal bows and 2-5 for longbows).

also piggybacking off of @Agro; possibly a forced level up would be interesting as well? Similar to how the juna fruit is supposed to work in FE8.

Anyway, I just wanted to say welcome; I don’t know where you came from but I think you should hang around for a while!

It’s pretty exciting to see all of these people coming out of the woodwork.

Support for crossbows? This was my proposal based on BwdYeti’s method, something I’ve always wanted to see done. Changes Damage and Hit calculations to enable Crossbow weapons: Damage = (Mgt * (2.5 for T1 or 3 for T2)), instead of (Str+Mgt). Hit = (Str+Skl) instead of (Skl2). Can assign this to specific classes (which would override the formula for all bows, for crossbows as a class), or to specific weapons (for crossbows as a subtype of bow).

no one wants your crossbows

So just throw out suggestions? What about the Valkyrie staff? (staff that revives unit from the dead, that may be stupid hard and not worth the effort though lol, IDK if the game even stores the stats and stuff of dead units) loooool probably not worth the effort. I’m not entirely serious here.

Aside from my not entirely serious suggestion, I feel that GBA FE could use AoE attacks (Kamon’s suggestion)

Guys, I told you, I’ve lurked for a long time. I guess it’s just motivational to see a good, new organization of hackers.
@dancer_A That sounds ridiculously difficult, but the hard part is tracking down the correct routines to replace. I’d imaging it’d be somewhere in the battle calculations, which i think Nintenlord has documented somewhat of. I can simulate a level up, but I don’t know in the slightest how to call the little window. Then again, I think there’s some documentation on that as well. I’ll read over some docs and get back to you on that.
@Arch Pretty much same as above. I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to change battle calculations to check for a skill on a class and modify damage/accuracy. It’d help immensely if you could show me the code for that -15range thing I saw on your youtube; it has to change something with the battle window(namely, whatever shoves the accuracy into there) and I wonder if it’s implicit based on the battle calculations of it they have a separate subroutine. Crossbows as a separate item type seems more difficult since there’ weapon levels and such to account for.

Anyway, at least hopefully my random spouting of “information it would be great to have”/ “Stuff I find while digging through peoples’ docs” will help you with knowing what documentation you still need to pull out and organize.

Edit: @L95 I think there have been people who have tried to create revive staves before, so I won’t attempt that. Yeah, i think it has shenanigans to do with how the game stores the data of dead units. AoE as actual attacks would be difficult. I’d imagine it’d be possible if someone has figured out how to attack ASM to weapons, but I don’t think I’ve heard of that before. It someone has, please let me know! (Maybe analyze how the game implements Runesword/Light Brand(Edit: http://forums.feshrine.net/index.php?showtopic=5224&hl=item+effects thank you icecube)? Are those just hardcoded into battle calculations?). I believe Kamon was talking about AoE as an event, like, step on a certain tile in the forest and it collapses, dealing X damage to everyone in some 3x3 area and destroying terrain or something. (Also, I don’t think I can kill units with this since unit death isn’t checked within events and I don’t know how to force that).

Edit2: @Agro Maybe I could try disassembling some of the item codes and figure out how they call it up. If I remember properly, Blazer has done some work on how items actually execute stuff? So I can probably start my investigation there.

1 Like

@Crazycolorz5 Yes, that’s it, I meant AoE as an event. =) You can’t kill units that way, though? What if their HP reaches 0 because of that AoE, then?

@AlfredKamon I was thinking to just make 1 a low cap; if they would go to 0 or below set it to 1. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but death from 0 HP isn’t checked until combat, right?

I’m not 100% sure, but I remember having 0 HP zombies that got killed as soon as they faced someone in battle, so I’d say yes. But again, it was such a glitchy situation, so don’t take my words for granted

Oh, that’d be really sweet! The 1 HP low cap, I mean. If you could do that, it’d be perfect! (in FE8, btw)

Hahah, FE8. I’ll code it for FE7, but from what I’m thinking it would probably just be a small change for FE8(the RAM offset of character data and Map stuffs). But I still would need to figure out map stuffs.

Why do people always laugh at me when they realize I hack FE8 lol

That’s fine. :wink: Unfortunately I don’t know how to help I’m not much of an ASM person, but I’m looking forward to see what you can do!

@AlfredKamon I can’t say I’ve played your hack myself (I haven’t actually played that many hacks… lol), but I’ve watched MarkyJoe’s reviews of it on Youtube and I like what i’ve seen of it!

1 Like

@Crazycolorz5 I just remembered something–awhile back I had Hextator make me a hack in which any weapon designated with “Magic” in the item editor reads from the Resistance stat to calculate damage. However, the hack is incomplete to a certain extent as staves still calculate from the Str/Mag stat, as does staff range when the range is MP/2. I wondered if you might be able to complete it for him? I can link you to his docs if you like.

Thank you very much! ^^
Yeah I like what Marky did in those videos, I think he kinda kept intact the spirit of the hack. That doesn’t happen in every LPs. It doesn’t mean that other LPs/reviews are bad, though. I appreciate all of them.
/ offtopic

Sorry, I don’t quite understand. You mean you want staves to use resistance to determine range? I think I have a link to his docs, but in case we’re thinking of different parts of his docs, link me anyway, please.

@AlfredKamon: See? I told you there’s a hell of a lot more talented people than me.
Though, @Crazycolorz5 reminds me of pretty much what I used to be… except a hell of a lot more motivated and talented with assembly hacks.

Welcome! I look forward to learning from the lurker.
I was just the flashy guy with videos rather than a fully experienced hacker.

Most of my contributions were graphical hacking and maybe documentation of sample importing with Sappy (which I stole pretty much from a Pokémon forum) rather than something you’d expect from an “FE hacker”.

I’m pretty sure Agro wants his game to work like FE5 (RES and MAG are the same stat, being called res, with there not being an actual mag stat)

He wants staves to cast from RES, but the game is still acting like there is a mag stat.

Oh, cool, thn @Agro I think I should be able to do, or at least with heal/mend/physic/fortify heal amounts. It might take longer, but Silence/Berserk/sec. shouldn’t be too bad. I don’t have the first clue how the game calculates range though, so, uh, if anyone’s messed with range before, I could use help there. (I’ll debug it sometime later)
@AlfredKamon, Hextator has this one doc on cursors in FE8. I lined up some units in FE7 and found where it keeps its map of units(though it seems to add “ghost columns” or something, odd). I’ll see what I can figure out about FE8.

I moved 3 posts to an existing topic: [FE7] Full (?) “magic replaces resistance” hacks (like in FE5)

Thank you very much.

Aaand complete. You can reroute mag in those calculations to res with only a total of… 14 bytes! Hooray for built-in subroutines that do stuff for you! :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, hf with your res-powered bishops.