An Idea of an Item-Based Three Way Branching Promotion System

Disclaimer: I don’t know if this has been proposed or implemented yet, so sorry if I’m repeating someone’s idea.

So, I heard that in DSFE, a Pegasus Knights usually promotes into a Wyvern Lords, but with Elysian Whip, they promote into Falcon Knight instead. So I was thinking of another idea of Item-based Split promotion:

There’s only three main promotion item, and every single tier one class can use them.

The idea is that each promotion grants each class a different promotion based on what the item is. Here’s my idea of what each class do:

Hero Crest: Promotes to a class that offers skills or other boons that either increase it’s combat capability or utility.

Example: Myrmidon promotes to Swordmaster (Crit Up), Monk Promotes to Bishop (Staves, either Slayer or Live to Serve skill), and Sword Cavalier Promotes to Paladin (Lance, +1 more MOV)

Weapon Contract: Promotes to a class that offers 2 weapons instead of 1 or none.

Example: Myrmidon promotes to Dread Fighter (Anima, Staves), Monk Promotes to Sage (Anima, Staves), and Sword Cavalier Promotes to Great Knight (Lance, Axe. They’re not treated as armored unit this time)

Knight Proof: Promotes to a class that offers a special quality (Armored, Mounted, or Flying)

Example: Myrmidon promotes to a Nomad Lord (Bow, Mounted), Monk promotes to a Valkyrie (Staves, Mounted), and Sword Cavalier Promotes to Cataphract (Axe, Armored).

There’s also will be a Master Seal, which allows you to choose between the three classes each main item promotes to.

Other Promotion Item idea that I am considering but don’t know if it’s good or not:

• Make Weapon Contract only offers Weapon of the same type (Physical, Magic), and add Guiding Ring: Promotes to a class that offers 2 weapons, one of which crosses the original class’ Weapon Type. (Example: Monk promotes to War Monk)
  • Split Knight Proof into two items: Knight Proof (Promotes to an armored class), and Elysian Whip (Either promotes an unmounted class to a horseback one, upgrade a horseback class to a flying one, or switch a flying class’ mount)
  • Add a Special Promotion Item (Let’s call it Dee-El Seal) that is limited in number and either do one of the following:
    • Overclass a tier-2 class
    • Promotes either a tier-1 or tier-2 class into a Special Class based on the items (Kinda
      like Awakening and Fate’s Premium items like Dread Scroll Etc.)

I believe split promotions based on the promotion item are already implemented. This would be just a matter of setting up the promotion branches.

To be honest, I do know that there’s a split item promotion patch there for FE8. I’m just sharing my idea of item-based split promotion so that Every single class can use every single promotion item, instead of having a promotion item went unused if the unit it supposed to be able to use it dies or too bad to be usable.

1 Like

I think that the main idea sounds simple and sweet. It also makes promoting the player’s favorite units a bit easier, although it may be a bit harder to design around for the dev…
…but it’s not like Shadow Dragon maps were too bad without reclassing, so it can certainly work.

Speaking of Shadow Dragon, this is an opportunity to make classes cross over even more than your standard GBAFE situation, so as you said a myrm could cover up a bow user slot OR a staves user slot if you were to lose the others in an ironman run.

I’m still not keen on overclassing and stuff; i’ve never been one to reclass my units in the 3ds games if i didn’t know their growth rates.

This system sounds unnecessarily complicated though I’d still love to play around with it if it ever makes its way into a game.

I have to ask, has a Fire Emblem game or fangame ever experimented with letting a class automatically promote or offer a list of promotions, but only upon reaching the maximum level of that class? Perhaps reducing the max level of low-tier classes to make the promotions happen earlier?

The English versions of Radiant Dawn have it so you promote automatically if you level again from 20 if that counts. Might also be PoR and the original RD but I forget. I know something promotion related is different in RD.

Alright, it’s good to see some pretty good response here. Although yes I have to admit, this is somewhat complicated to setup the promotion tree.
Maybe sometime I’ll try making the possible promotion tree using the three items.