Your more questionable design decisions

All of modular battle which is slightly hacky and rather unsafe. But as such is assembly…
The pros is that it leaves me with a lot of simplified versions of in-game routines to make further modding easier.

Using vanilla characters in a non-canon story (and making no attempt to keep to canon).
People always seem to get their knickers a blaze at this for some reason (even though I had a disclaimer).
I don’t understand it.

Oh well. I GOT MY OWN PEEPS AND MY OWN WORLD NOW OOOOH.

2 Likes

sometimes the best stories are those written in an established universe. it’s one of the reasons i believe so many people actually use the regular world for there settings, because creating an established universe with its own rules and laws and all that can be fucking exhausting and difficult to pull of well, especially if its done independently and all by yourself.

so using an established universe with vanilla characters is toats okay in my book as long as you can do it well.

as far as questionable design choices i have made in the past, i’d say there’s a few character design choices i have made that are rather questionable in retrospect.

making a game with monks using dark magic, sorcerers using light magic, no units having res, everyone having “normal” hair colors, no weapon weights, and a lot of swearing

2 Likes

The entirety of Trinity of Heaven (if nobody here remembers what that is I can die happy)

Giving magic users the same stat totals as comparable physical users, and thinking increasing overall Res scores would make up the difference
“what, no, perma 1-2 range isn’t 100% inherently overpowered what are you talking about- look they don’t even have a lot of choice in weapon effects even though that will never matter in the first 10 chapters- no, physical users not being able to use WTA against them to improve their defense on enemy phase like they would against thrown weapons won’t be an issue that’s crazy”

3 Likes

?

Arch made me do it

1 Like

#gooddesigndecisions

“WE OUTNUMBER HIM A MILLION TO ONE! EVERYONE RETREEEEAT!”

if we had another million men we might have stood a chance.

1 Like

Woo, base magic being so overtuned!

At least you can marginalize it via skill system?

Probably not, although I am an advocate for slower weapon level progression like in FE9. That being said, something like Dream of Five is far too slow as units who don’t get used much are very quickly left behind due to not being able to keep up.

How about numbers of units available? When I released the first playable demo of EB, some of the complaints I got were that there were “too many characters” - something like 18 playable by Chapter 7, though not all at once.

Thing is, I don’t find this odd at all–I think that the more choice you can give a player, the better. Locking in the player to using a small number of units seems to be a norm for hacks, though I suppose it can be done right (looking at you, @Primefusion) and also not so right (lots of other hacks). Do you think that smaller numbers of playable characters is a conscious design decision, or due to limited resources by hack creators?

The FEditor ROM footer. Obviously. I guess Hex and I share the blame for that. I feel bad about not realizing just how terrible it would turn out.

1 Like

wait what
I do this stuff by the seat of my pants. Anything done “right” is a happy coincidence.

1 Like

I have a questionable design in my hack currently. But it seems to work for better than worse.
You’re basically running away from a NPC. If the NPC talks to your main lord. GAME OVER.
The best part about this is… there is obstruction in your path that you have to clear, and the NPC wouldn’t care about it.
Not even Enemies can touch the NPC because they’d be dead if they even tried to.
All you have to do is reach a certain point to win. I liberally took the idea from Arch’s Legault tale, but more focused on escaping tactics.
I’m seeing how it’s going to work.

Surround the main lord with 4 other units at all times.

1 Like

You forgot about your special 3 way enemies didn’t you?

Why not just have the NPC kill the lord and not talk to him then?

That’s the questionable part.

3 Likes