Why Fire Emblem isn't what it used to be

Conquest pinnacle of map design? You call those bland maps “pinnacle”? OK.

Characterization and story already existed. How are these product of the NewFE???
Echoes Maps were on Awakening/ Fates tier.
Meaning Awakening and Fates were back in 1992 with the limited hardware.
A dive of 25+ years.

1 Like

I doubt all of it is her fault. Of course with her being a staff member she could have definitively have had some influence.
One particularly silly argument in this thread however is that her not liking FE or video games in general is irrelevant because “that’s how jobs work”. You’re likening working in an artistic industry to being a cashier or some other monotonous job no one really wants to do. It requires passion to do a good job in this industry, otherwise you get the quality one would expect from shovelware and shitty games that flood the appstore.
The whole Severa, Inigo, etc stuff wouldn’t exactly be without precedent, the term “writer’s pet” exists for a reason.

but you just said that the 1992 maps were something that saved valentia

stop and think

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true, but it does seem intentionally inflammatory, like 4chan is want to do many a day. Anyways, regardless of current success I just don’t think awakening or fates are games that will hold up all that well in the long term mostly because they are vapid and uninteresting, so no point getting all that upset anyways. Just gotta keep looking forward and hoping an echoes remake line will happen, and that the next one actually pulls itself together.

Not gonna let myself fall for the next ones marketing though, I am spoiling myself wholesale when info comes out about it.

Where did I state that? I always referred to the story, plot and characters.
Please don’t put words in my mouth.

“Core structure”.

For games, thaaat’d be the gameplay.

And for FE, that means the maps.

:>_>:

Now, that said; if you want to talk about the story, plot, and characters of Gaiden, you’ve got a long hill to climb seeing as it’s rather bare.

Story? Ash said it best…

Mycen: alm u cool
Alm: thx gramps
Lukas: join me pls
Alm: k
Alm: gonna kill guy brb
Desaix: die
Alm: no u *kills
Celica: o no *goes on boat
Celica: *kills pirates and dragon goes to castle
Alm: I’mma kill Rudolf
Celica: pls no don’t
Alm: no
Celica: i hate u *leaves
Alm: oh no i’m stuck on mountain
Celica: shit
Jedah: save Alm kys to duma
Celica: ok
Alm: *leaves mountain and kills rudolf
Rudolf: I’m your dad
Alm: shit
Rudolf: kill duma
Alm: ok
Alm: *metts up with Celica
Alm: Don’t worry Celica, I’ll crush these bastards! *kills duma
Celica: marry me
Alm: ok
THE END

When a game can be summarized almost completely in such a joking and brief format I don’t think there’s much of a story to comment on …

The characters?
If I recall correctly, Robin/Tobin, Cliff/Kliff, and Gray each get a grand total of one text box of dialogue; and similarly Jenny/Genny, Mae/May, Saber, Valbo/Valbar, Sonia/Sonya, Dean/Deen, Boey, Noma/Nomah-- they get two or three across the entire game.

They have extraordinarily bare characters and almost no characterization because they simply don’t talk to the player much at all!

I like how you ignore the unique features of the game (dungeons, free-roam, HP spell cost, Class change system etc.)
and are desperately stuck on the maps (which again, can be compared to Awakening/ Fates; so this isn’t something to praise on the “new” games).

That joke is more coherent and better than the “dramatized” mess of Fates.
Should we start the jokes on Fates and Awakening again?

True, but these characters were more varied and grounded
compared to Fates where the half cast was reharsed from Awakening.

Stereotypical? For 1992 not that much. Not yet.
Then we can make funny vids about finding every anime stereotype in Awakening and Fates.

For Echoes, they had the base characters structured and just had to add more lines and dialoque.
Then when it comes to originality, we get Awakening/ Fates quality.

Finally:

The series wouldn’t exist without the originals so it works both ways.
The money issue stemmed from terrible head management, publication and Nintendo itself.
Now FE is prominent again in both east and west, so many consider the need to pander to groups unnecessary.

Consider that FE existed longer in Japan for almost a decade. Original fans and purist are bound to be more than you expect.

I don’t even care at this point if it’s this woman, a team of people, or nobody’s fault if FE is ruined after Awakening. Doesn’t really change for me that it’s ruined and unlikely to go back now that Nintendo has found a strategy waifu cash whore title.

For me, my hopes are entirely in the romhacking/fexna scene. That’s where I’ll see the classic stuff getting revived.

1 Like

bruh this thread is 5 years dead