Venno's small ASM hacks and notes

You know how in FE9 and the DS games support points were gained simply by deploying units together? Now in FE7 you can do the same thing! Just make the following changes to your ROM, and all compatible pairs deployed on the map will have their support points go up by the normal amount once, at the beginning of the chapter.
FE7:
-0x026948: Paste write 000004E0
-0x0268A6: Paste write 6DD1

FE8:
-0x0284E4: Paste write 000004E0
-0x028442: Paste write 6DD1

Alternatively, if you just want units to gain support points for being within a range of each other rather than only being adjacent, make the following change:

FE7:
-0x026948: Paste write 0328 04DD; the 03 is the maximum distance from which pairs can gain support points

FE8:
-0x0284E4: As above

I also have plans for a system in which units can gain support points both for being deployed together and for being adjacent, but that’s a bit of a longer-term project.

8 Likes

Venno, I just tried this out now and it doesn’t seem to work? It doesn’t display the droppable green text nor does any item drop when the unit is killed.

I just tested it out on a clean ROM, pasting the hex at 0x17826 and giving units 0x40 as their AI byte 4, and it woks. You’re certain you’re following those steps exactly?

We followed this up on Skype just now, but for those of you wondering, the hack will only work for units that are spawned as enemies, and not NPCs that turn into enemies. This may have been a no-brainer for some of you… but clearly not all of us :stuck_out_tongue:.

Been a while since I’ve touched this page, eh? This new thing will allow a single chapter to display two different objectives in both the goal box at the corner of the screen, and the text in the status screen. If you trigger Event ID 0x05, the goal box and status screen text will increase their text pointers by one (so index 0x0C70 will be read as 0x0C71).

Currently only for FE7, but a FE8 version could be easily made upon request.

Download

2 Likes

For Fe6 - a hack that gives weapons individual WExp values like the later games. Unfortunately, the WExp data has to be stored in a separate table, but oh well. Instructions are in the download, and in the Serenes thread.

Download

Something for FE8 again, this new hack lets characters have custom animations like in FE7, and can account for branched promotions (eg if you wanted a Cavalier to use a custom Paladin animation but use the default Great Knight animation). Instructions are in the download as always.

Link

3 Likes

The default Event Assembler raws don’t cover some commands used in FE8’s Valni and Lagdou chapter events (randomized chests and the postgame check in particular) and would crash when trying to assemble or disassemble them; this download contains fixed raws that let you edit all of these chapter events without issue. Copy the contents over the ‘Language raws’ folder in your EA installation.

Download

“New” commands are:
_0x2B21
_0x2B22
_0x192A (postgame check)
CHESRANDOM

Also included is an ‘ExperimentalFE8new’ raw file. This contains more descriptive names for some of the commands but consequently breaks compatibility with existing event files, so it’s its own thing. Add the .txt extension if you want to use it (and delete ‘experimental_fe8’), or just delete it if you don’t plan on using it.

3 Likes

@Mikey_Seregon, I figured out what was causing your problem with generic enemy weapon ranks…when autoleveling an enemy, if the game determines that a unit can’t wield a weapon that has no locks and is of a weapon type they have a nonzero weapon rank in, it will set their rank in that type to the weapon’s rank.

The check for whether a weapon had no locks didn’t account for my lock system, so, assuming that the unit just didn’t have a sufficient weapon rank, it would overwrite the unit’s weapon rank with the rank of the array-locked item…which could lower your weapon rank.

Anyway, to fix this make the following change:

FE7:
-$17ABC: Replace 00 3C 3D 00 with 00 3C 3D FF

FE8:
-$17FC0: Replace 00 3C 3D 00 with 00 3C 3D FF

2 Likes

Is it possible to have an FE8 version of this? :slight_smile: I’ve always found it obnoxious that units needed to be in adjacent tiles to get support points in GBA FE.

Sure! Paste 0328 04DD to 0x0284E4 to have the same effect in FE8.

1 Like

I made a thing. Little install modules for the support distance and FE9 support hacks.

Mostly so I could put them in the FireShell package. Tiny little “hack install” modules are nifty.

Creds to @Icecube for coming up with it.

1 Like

(Note: The following is included in the current release of the effectiveness rework)

If you’re using my effectiveness rework for FE7, you’ll have a few free bytes in item data; here’s something to make weapon effectiveness vary by weapon. Paste this hex to $28B40 and byte +0x11 in item data will be that weapon’s effectiveness factor; if the value there is 0 or less it will default to 1, so you only need to change items that you want to be effective against certain classes.

05D13088 EEF7CCFB487C0128 00DA012014242C57291C5A310A88424310190880

Source

2 Likes

Another small thing, this changes the staff/item healing formula to heal based off of the staff/item’s Might byte in item data instead of hardcoded values of 10,20 and 80.

Also included is a version that divides your magic in two before adding it to the healing value and provides healing bonuses for having C/B/A/S rank Staff, for those of you that want staves in the FE12 style. The default bonuses are 1/2/4/8 extra HP healed.

Additionally, it frees up 340 bytes in the region by virtue of not using a humongous pointer table.
To install, paste write the .dmp file at 0x16B68 for FE7 and 0x16FB8 for FE8.

Download (FE7)
Download (FE8)

3 Likes

Hey Venno, how about a version that adds MAG and RES and divides the value by two before adding to the item’s power byte?

This is great too, I’ll definitely use these if I can get an FE8 version. Solves some balancing issues I was having with staves.

You made sure to use the getts for boosted/efffective Magic, right? Not just loaded right out of the unit struct?

Of course! Just like the original routine.

@Arch, the link for the modules is down. Could you reup this please?

Update - added an FE8 version of the item might-based healing mod.