Under Grey Skies

Hey guys!
I’m here to finally announce the first public release of my ROM Hack, Under Grey Skies! For those of you who haven’t seen my ramblings on the FEU Discord, Under Grey Skies is a project I’ve been working on since early January. It follows the story of a young villager named Bruce, who sets out with some of his fellow villagers in order to fight in a civil war that, if lost, threatens to destroy their home and country. The gameplay of UGS is heavily inspired by the idea of hard hitting enemies with lower durability shown in games like FE12, while also utilizing the Circles Skill Patch (though unfortunately there have been some complications with skills due to classes not being able to learn multiple skills immediately upon promotion). This first version contain 7 Chapters, with 14 playable units as well as a completed arc of the overall story and supports (though at the moment many of the supports only go up to C in terms of writing). Attached to this are some basic screenshots from the game as well as a link to the patch. Keep in mind we are aware of a few non major but noticeable bugs, so I’ll just list them here.

-The units Ray and Leanne are currently unable to be Shoved
-There is a minor spot in the battle screen that covers up that weapon name

That’s all, I hope you enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8vxqyq7csce8yy4/Under_Grey_Skies_v.1.0_Patch.ups

18 Likes

The time has come! Congrats on the official first release!

Well done Amber,now you got the ball rolling!

Ayyy congrats on release, What I played of it was really fun

A female axe-user? She remind me of someone :smirk:

why does the steel axe sprite look ridiculously tiny compared to the other axes

why are there two prfs and a bajillion axes at the very start of the game

what’s the point of elixirs if vulneraries heal so much

why is the first boss a 16 strength warrior

why does a dog have a three line bio what the heck

a jagen having mercy entirely removes the drawback of stealing exp that they should absolutely be designed with

why are hit rates so ridiculously high, and what’s the point of using swords and sword units if axes are just objectively better

13 MT PRF
CHAPTER 1
1-2 RANGE
TARGETS RES
INVALIDATING MAGIC UNITS

what on earth is the point of using other weapons if prfs are so disgustingly powerful and versatile and their only drawback is durability

everything feels like it creeps over itself in power constantly and it all feels very… idk excited with itself? Throwing all these big numbers and really powerful weapons that only get more and more ridiculous within the first couple of chapters

you are allowed to like FE12 but it is not a good game design to base GBAFE hacks around

the class bios are smart, I like those but the promotion gain numbers being shown

4 Likes

I just played through this and had a blast. I’m also up for any art or writing help you need

Finally got around to finishing, was fun and Io can’t wait for more!

Hey there, i just finish this hack for the 4th time and i’ve got to say it is awesome,I got a huge radiant dawn feeling (my favourite FE) but i find some point to be tweeked.

The promotion item at chapter 6 is a bit early, it make Finale really easy, the candidate are Fern, Cole and Ray generally they all make 1-F no challenging at all.I mean beetween Lopez (who can have boss kill and stat booster), Nadia (Who is level 0 Btw) and the promote i don’t any difficulty in 1-E I don’t know if part 2 and part 3 focus on other army and i suspect it so early promote would be the way to go and i test it with Fern, Cole and Ray and they beacame monster especially Cole in Hero so tanky fast enough to double everything with a lot of fire power.

I will show some point that need tweeking imo:
Prf weapon are too strong,
Hit rate are too high i never see a hit below 85 (for my guys)
Dance give so much exp without grinding my Audrey is always level 12 or 13 with 23 or 24 speed it is too high.
Don’t need a lancereaver with all the axe user or a change on Cole class Having a three axe user (maybe a mercenary or a myrmidon)
Final boss a bit too weak he is easly one shotable if Nadia get one point of strengh she gain a lot of exp from all the promote unit in this chapter and she has really good growth
In the future, i’d like more character developpement Raphael has no such thing, it feeling like clyde says “come with me” and he is like “okay”

For the good point now:
-Playable Hound
-Prepromote with mercy (He may deserve better growth)
-A promotion on the dancer.
-The female hero sprite
-The three use statbooster help patch more units at a times or patch one unit a lot of time.
-Cleric with light tome.
-The story is well balance there is no too much blah blah blah time
-All bosses are promoted which leave you a choice of getting exp for Lopez

For the unit part, here is a bit of reviews reminder my point of view:
-Bruce good basis, good growth prf weapon TOO STRONK
-Lopez Very stong for a prepromote, Exellent base (exept speed),come with mercy (he still kill enemy if he double) infinite weak weapon
-Fern too fast, prf weapon too strong, she is untouchable on player phase.and she has three support that help her a lot. She is wind aff and support with fire wind and light so she gain a lot of attack to patch her low power and she gain crit. Once promote to hero you have an untouchable unit that double everything hit hard and crit 50% of the time
-Cole if promote on Warrior he take 0 dmg on player phase thanks to his personnal skill and hit like monster he become ridiculous i think
-Beo very fast, the great fang come quite at the good time.and he is quite tanky good hp and quite good def
-Ashley is well balance she is very flexible with weapon lancereaver, javelin or iron blade.
-Ray should’nt have axebreaker plus his support with the only healer plus good base and growth make him almost a must have, on my second playthrough I promote him at level 11 for 1-E he was unstoppable, and the Axereaver weapon (if there is)would be a waste one him or would annihilate late game axe user bosses.He is too strong imo
-Leanne she is the only healer so you’ll have to take her plus she can deal damage and her personnal skill is maybe too strong (when you damage a unit with leanne and then kill it with cole, he never take damage)
-Clyde is your typical thief he hit not so hard but double everytime
-Donovan is okay but 14 or 15 base def for a level 5 knight is absurd. Good def skill hp and strenght. And he doesn’t care about speed cuz of seal speed
-Raphael, Join with good base and excellent growth he has power , skill ,speed and high luck i mean if you can get a killer bow the guys will hit hard he will crit and double and get you money with his personnal skill.
-Audrey gain too much exp from dancing really good personnal skill can use sword so she is not so
vulnerable lot of speed and luck has canto and can promote.
I didn’t taste it but on seize map you could grind exp for her then promote her for 1-E i wonder what does it do?
-Eleanor, i hate her no offense but she lacks everything low level , Meh personnal skill and there is no enemy with high def and low res … Okay there is one the boss of chapter 6 but you get an heavy spear on that chapter so ashley donovan or ray can take care of it. She has very offensive growth she is a damage dealer i get it but between bruce beo fern raph and ray she is not that great i think and she lack defensive capability. imo she has nothing on other unit.
-Nadia She is only avaible for 1-E but she gains a lot of exp for the promote enemy so she can gain one or two level; She has good growth and B rank lances and can A rank with a very good personnal skill.Okay she has bad base for a promote but she still has good stat when you compare her. Her prf weapon destroy any sword unit with 11 pwr (so +1 pwr think energy ring or 1 level up) she oneshot any sword unit even the final boss. ridiculous unit imo.

Sorry for the block of text but i think this game is one of the best hack i’ve played keep the good work and i hope to see an update.

Corporal. That’s the correct spelling for this military rank.

This hack is cancelled as far as I’m aware Legault. I believe Amber has moved onto using SRPG Studio.

1 Like

Is This a Complete Hack???

Don’t think so.

1 Like

know amber personally and yes, it is moving to srpg studio

Next time you are wondering this, I would encourage you to read the first post of the thread. It will usually say whether the game is complete or a work in progress, and if it doesn’t, you can usually figure it out through context clues.

For example, in the first post of this thread, Amberstorm says it is the “first public release” (implying there will be more releases, so it’s not the final one), the game contains seven chapters (a low amount, so it’s probably not complete), “a completed arc” of the story (meaning only one story arc is finished and Amber is likely still working on the other arcs that will eventually complete the story), and that only the C-level supports have been written (it would be strange for a game to have only C supports, so they are probably a work in progress as well). By reading the post and finding “clues” such as these, we can find out for ourselves that the game is not complete.

3 Likes

Wow. That is really thorough elaboration. Thank you very much.

Can’t hurt to make sure when you’re otherwise dependant only on clues.