TRSModify - Now Virus Free & Including My (Incomplete) Notes!

Hey y’all. Completely new to FEUniverse, but I’ve been around on SF for a while under a couple different usernames (including this one). Ages ago I posted this little project of mine over on SF and on my tumblr, but I forgot to make an account to post it here until just now.

If you’re in TearRing Saga’s tiny, tiny fanbase, you might’ve heard of TRSModify, a tool that allows for some limited hacking of TRS. It’s a nifty little program, but it comes with two significant issues:

1. Most of it isn’t in English
  2. It comes packaged with a piece of malware

Since it’s a rather neat tool besides that, I decided to clean the folder of the offending bit of software and rerelease it. I also included the notes I’d started keeping to keep track of what different items in the menu meant/did. Since I don’t know Japanese, I had to deduce most of it via editing the game to see what happened, at least for things that weren’t completely obvious or already translated.

Note that I never actually got around to documenting a lot of the things I meant to, like the character names and titles or how to use some of the more complicated editors. My health seriously deteriorated a month or two later and by the time I started getting better I’d sorta lost interest in messing with it. But I figure someone who isn’t an ignorant monolingual moron can finish that work better than I could, if they cared to, and my notes were really only for me anyway.

I’d also strongly advise against clicking on the “CALC” button in the last menu, as that button is tied to the malware I removed and can crash the whole program. The other tools are safe and fine to use from this menu.

Get it here!

9 Likes

Hey, it seems that the Dropbox link doesn’t have the TRSmodify program. Could you fix that?

Dropbox themselves seem to have done that, lemme see if I can fix it

EDIT: Dropbox just straight-up isn’t letting that file be seen by anyone but me, so I’ve uploaded it to Google Drive instead. Tell me if that also decides to mysteriously stop working!

4 Likes

Oh, nice, I’d been meaning to grab this for ages but forgot until this thread got bumped, hah

2 Likes

Thanks

It seems like the enemy modifier for some reason only lets you change the first 6 enemies in a map. Any idea how to fix this?

I had this issue a while back too. Replace the Enemy.dat file in the Data folder of TRSModify with this file. It should expand the enemy table for all chapters to include all units.
Just make sure not to edit any enemies with garbage data.

Yo thanks Flasuban. I remember seeing your TRS Hard Mode on MK404’s channel. Are there any other fixes/improvements you made to TRSModify? An ability to give characters more than 3 learned skills by any chance? I know Garo does in vanilla, but I can’t find his learned Lethality in TRSModify for some reason.

I think I made some basic translation fixes for the odd names in the editor. They’re not perfect, but they’re better than what TRSModify has by default. Unfortunately, you can’t edit the internal names inside the editor without touching the .exe file, so I never edited those.