Spud's Sprites: The Potato's Return

Working on a promotion for the Amelia recolor and I need some advice and critiques. I feel like the middle frames look strange and manly, and I’m sure the shading throughout has issues.

3 Likes

That bendy arm in frame 7 looks a little odd to me, but otherwise everything looks good.

Her free hand on the standing sprite looks a little awkward and so does her skirt. I like the motion though, and I like the fact that she one-hands the lance now.

I’ll try to fix the noodle arms and repost a pic once I’ve finished the return frames. Thanks for the input.

So I took the shading help on the sage and have been messing around with animating it. Here’s the crit. I don’t really like the way it pauses during the screen flash and the cape flutter at the end looks weird.
Any thoughts?

3 Likes

The way his left hand side just stays motionless seems off to me.

Now with slightly different lightning and movement

6 Likes

It feels like the head needs a slight blur frame when lowering his head and closing his eyes. The transition there feels too choppy, but otherwise the animation is great.

Now with slight head bob:

Onward to a healing animation

7 Likes

I very much dislike that weird cape flourish at the end. It looks jerky and weird, totally unnatural. Every other piece of the animation is fantastic, but that cape bit at the end is totally out of place IMO.

so you and the cape flourish have a lot in common then

1 Like

The original animation had the weird flutter at the end so I was just trying to copy that. Regardless, I finished it and added it to the directory with a version without the flutter.

1 Like

Revisited the Amelia T1 thing

Parts of it are still a little off, but I’m tired of messing with it. Added it to the animation directory.

7 Likes

Also been messing around with a some gaiden stuff from echoes hype

Dread Fighter

Exorcist/Summoner/Skeleton Mage Thing

9 Likes

Yes. YES. Need… MOAR.

6 Likes

So after doing nothing for years I am trying to finish everything I started, which is taking much longer than I thought. But I have completed a few things.

I finished the skeleton gaiden cantor animation and the T2 Amelia animation

I basically just took the gaiden sprite and added the sacred stones skeleton head but I like how it turned out.

When I first made this sprite I wanted to do something totally custom, but I couldn’t come up with anything decent so I ended up reskining the F Halberdier animation that already exists. So not exactly what I wanted when I started but now its done and I can move on.

Credit The Blind Archer for the Halberdier and Black Mage, Temp, and 2WB for the F Halberdier

8 Likes

Added three finished animations to the repository: Catapult, Summoner with axe, and Bowknight.
Ballista
Axe
Bow

I’ve also got a couple stills to share

A gba version of the Black Knights from Tear Ring Saga
Comparison

A Gaiden Style Baron
Comparison

An improved version of the Dread Fighter I posted along time ago.
Comparison

And I’ve also got this unfinished thing which I don’t know what to do with
lance
The original idea was a lance and sword wielding hero promotion. But after playing Staff of Ages and seeing that the landsknecht is basically the exact same thing, I don’t really know what to do with it.
Maybe I’ll finish it one day, lol.
It uses part of Iscaneus’ Awakening hero sprite and some the timing is modeled after Nuramon’s Ephraim Great Lord animation.

I might make full animations out of the stills one day but I have like zero progress on any of them at the moment and since multiple Barons already exist and other Dread Fighters are already in progress I doubt I will do much with those soon. That’s it for this year’s post.

31 Likes

Spud has returned! 'Tis a glorious day!

Now you’re playing with power!

2 Likes

Ha! Hopefully I’ll have something else to post before another full year goes by this time.

4 Likes

Honestly, the landsknecht has a lot of problems and is due for a full remake so I wouldn’t mind at all. Yours looks a lot better, to boot!

3 Likes