Shouzou Kaga Announces SRPG Studio Indie Game

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2015/05/fire-emblem-creator-shouzou-kaga-developing-new-title/

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/3116.html

So much for that… >_>
I wonder if the west of the Western gaming press will pick up on this, now or later…
Everyone in the west: “Who the fsck is Kaga?”

It’s mostly been picked up by small news outlets so far, but we’ll see how things develop once more details start becoming publicized.

Kind of amusing is that among the images heading those articles, the vast majority of the characters are from post-Kaga games.

It is unfortunate that he’s trying to keep it on the down-low and these blogs are already reporting on it, but hey; it’s inevitable. Although I don’t have the first clue about Japanese mindsets regarding projects in their early stages, I imagine the “sentiment” (so to speak) switching from “keep it quiet and ask the fans” to “take advantage of the press and use it as a vehicle to reach more fans who can possibly help”.

I wonder how long it’ll be before we see a post on this on r/games? Hopefully not TOO soon, from his POV anyway.

I still wonder whether we should convince Kaga-san to make a Kickstarter for his game and convince him to go commerical once again, maybe… perhaps he’s doing freeware because he doesn’t want the stress of large-scale game development? I don’t know. Maybe we could ask him if that’s something he’s considered (or if he even knows what KS is.) But even if he’s making a Kickstarter, he’d have to wait until he’s well into development, because we all know what happens to Kickstarters who start too early… also, he wouldn’t be able to keep down low once he starts up a KS, so…

I think that pushing him to do anything is the wrong way, since all he’s seeking is help. He can always get that help elsewhere. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Copy pasta’ing this over from Serenes, but someone over there grabbed the SRPG Studio demo and kindly posted a complete class list.

• Lord (Male and female)
  • Swordmaster (Male and female)
  • Thief (Male and female; not necessarily thief but what first comes to mind)
  • Hero (Male and female; sword user but with more muscles)
  • Cavalier (Male and female, brown horse)
  • Griffin Rider (Male and female)
  • Armored knight (Male only)
  • “King” (Male only, heavy armor with a majestic flair)
  • Skeleton
  • Gargoyle / Demon thingy
  • Archer (Male and female)
  • Mounted archer (Male and female, white horse)
  • Mage (Male and female, two kinds of each)
  • Bishop (Male and female)
  • Zombie / wight
  • Dragon

And Kaga said that he’d like to increase the class count four or five fold. That’d put the proposed number of classes anywhere between 64 to 80. My ideal class setup for Exalted Legacy has 65 classes, actually, but that’s with a promotion branching system. He might opt to do his trademark character-based promotions, so hopefully his stated goal won’t end up feeling like “too many.”

Unless 50% of them end up being sword users! I dunno why Kaga hates axes so much sometimes, hahah.

1 Like

The specification will be ready at the end of this month.

2 Likes

おつかれ ~\ (≥▽≤)/~

PS: I guess I am not the only one who has noticed the change from “fan” to “indie”.

Update:
I have watched the nico video mentioned on SF. It seems that there have been several FE2 remake projects under progress now. For example: 【图片】圣火徽章外传重制版(制作中)_圣火徽章外传吧_百度贴吧

1 Like

Oh hell yes!!

… though I am doing an FE2 remake too. Eh… I’ll just do it when FEXNA comes out, I guess.

1 Like

Oh this is quite great!!!

Oh, the colored portraits look nice. Though I still dislike the tilesets for this in general

I wish I could see what Silk looks like… She was always my favorite.

Any news on the battle animations, by the way? I’ve been trying to decrypt and extract them from the demo myself, but I’ve had no luck thus far. Is there no easier way to go about this?

Try this?

[quote]You could get the original files by
1: Click "リソース(resource)“on the tool bar on main menu , then click “画像データの確認(Checking graphic data.)”
2: Click “ランタイム(runtime)” on left menu, then click “motion”, then click “ファイルに保存(save)” on the right-under four buttons.”
3: The data will come up on the desired folders on you computer.[/quote]

@Ash3wl
Those can’t be downloaded from demo.

Thanks for the help. So now we just need to get someone to download them all from the game. Then all the spriters can get to work. I sadly cannot download them personally since I am unable to run SRPG Studio on my old computer.

I have completed it.
PW: ssmsk

Update:
Fixed now.

3 Likes

It’s a bit confusing what the proper English word to describe a “doujin game” would be. Not a “fan game” since those generally use established properties without consent, whereas Kaga is making something original and is the creator of what we all make “fan games” for.

Google explanation of the word is: “Dōjin soft (同人ソフト ?), also sometimes called dōjin games (同人ゲーム ?), with dōjin sometimes transliterated as doujin or doujinshi, are video games created by Japanese hobbyists or hobbyist groups (referred to as “circles”), more for fun than for profit; essentially, the Japanese equivalent of independent video games.”

So I do believe that “indie” would be the word that most correctly captures what Kaga is doing. Perhaps “indie” developers in the west are more profit-focused, but the parallel seems real enough.

This is tremendously helpful! Thank you, Misaka. What file extension should I use? I tried .zip but cannot extract files from the archive?

I used 7-Zip and it extracted all the files!

Actually, are these just the map sprites? Or did I not get/extract everything? I don’t really know since I can’t even really actually check if they are or not.