Problems from Trying to Insert Text

Hi there. Last night, I was playing around with FEditor with my FE7 ROM when I realized that the text I was inserting wasn’t being read after text code 0x086C. I’ve fiddled around with the program (inserting it into a clean ROM, allocating free space before inserting, etc.), but it simply won’t go past this text code.

So, I went to insert it via Emblem Magic. I know every text entry would start with Text of 0xblank, but I’d be willing to spend a couple of days deleting all of them. However, I get two errors. 1: The text editor doesn’t recognize the text code [G], so I’d need to find the alternative to use. 2: I get the error “System.String.Substring: startindex cannot be larger than length of string. Parameter name: startindex”, an error I don’t understand.

So, I looked on FEU and found the Text Processor by circleseverywhere. So, I downloaded the .exe and dragged my text file into it and got this error:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 136, in
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 86, in main
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 55, in assemble
File “c:\users\bovie_000\appdata\local\programs\python\python35-32\lib\encodings\cp1252.py”, line 23, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘charmap’ codec can’t decode byte 0x9d in position 3011: character maps to ".

I was going to try and find position 3011, but it doesn’t seem to be the line number and there’s no way I can find the 3011th character.

So, I have three errors for three different programs: FEditor won’t insert any text codes past 0x086C, Emblem Magic gives me errors for the [G] textcode and gives me “System.String.Substring” errors, and the Text Processor gives me the above error. If anybody had any ideas, that would be appreciated. If not, I have a time-consuming alternative in mind, so it’s not a big deal.

BTW, here’s the text file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5p9y4aotc91ok3k/Game%20Script.txt?dl=0

You may want to try with a fourth program ? xD (FEBuilderGBA)
Hum, and did you try to download a new rom somewhere else ?

For the text processor, replace the title “Text of ID” with “#”.
So “Text of ID 0x0001” becomes #0x1

Kao: I looked in FEBuilderGBA, but I couldn’t find an option to insert a whole script, just one text entry at a time. As for getting a new ROM, the ROM I tested should be new enough, but I’ll try again with a fresh one.

Tequila: That’s a good point, but when I did Find and Replace where I changed "Text of ID " to “#”, I still get this error.
"Traceback (most recent call last):
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 86, in main
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 55, in assemble
File “c:\users\bovie_000\appdata\local\programs\python\python35-32\lib\encodings\cp1252.py”, line 23, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: ‘charmap’ codec can’t decode byte 0x9d in position 5988: character maps to ",
which seems like the same error as last time but with a new position.

Try assembling only 1 entry and see if that works? Maybe there’s too many or something, idk.

Even that didn’t work. I got this error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 111, in main
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 29, in getEntries
AssertionError: Error at line 1 - “#0x0001”:
Entries must begin with the format “#0xtextID optional_definition” or “## optional_definition”.

How about 0x1 instead of 0x0001?

Same error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 111, in main
File “textprocess_v2.py”, line 29, in getEntries
AssertionError: Error at line 1 - “#0x1”:
Entries must begin with the format “#0xtextID optional_definition” or “## optional_definition”

I’m going to assume you downloaded the most recent version of Text Processor today…

Can you try writing the entire text entry out by hand (as opposed to copying and pasting it)? Maybe some funny characters snuck in or something. Otherwise, I really don’t know what to tell you.

If you write in Google Docs, they use a different apostrophe than what the GBA uses, and it gives errors. Check those maybe? I’ve seen 2 different apostrophes that give issues.

1 Like

It does sound like an encoding issue - line 1 is #0x1 and not #0x1

That’s what I was thinking, but I don’t know how I’d go about fixing it.

I’m what are you writing your text before inserting it ?

I exported the text from FEditor, then edited with notepad++.

At the bottom of notepad++ when you are editing a file you should have the encoding written. Check what it is and tell us ^^

It says it’s encoded in UTF-8.

I’ve solved it! Of course, it was a stupid mistake, but whatever. Basically, Snakey1 was right, but instead of apostrophes, it was quotation marks. I thought I fixed that, but apparently, I didn’t. Thanks to everybody for their help.

4 Likes

Thank you! It was Google Docs that caused the error