Open Source MIDIs?

Similarly to the Open Source Gallery for sprites, are there any open source songs for hacks?

1 Like

Don’t know about FE or stuff that’d be ready for insert, but I’ve always went to VGmusic for my midi fix.

I once kept some MIDIs that were pretty ordinary quality on SF, but I’m too ashamed of posting them now.

@NICKT Yeah, I know about VGMusic, but I’m not sure if they’re insertable right away, or if you have to convert them to “FE style” MIDIs.
@Agro P̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶m̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶M̶I̶D̶I̶s̶ ̶M̶u̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶>̶:̶D̶
They’re not half-bad actually!

Midis from VGMusic vary in terms of how friendly they are with the FE7 native instrument map, but it isn’t difficult at all to make them sound nice once you get the hang of it imo.

… I should go bring back that music patch project…

It should be noted that just because there’s a MIDI on VGMusic, doesn’t mean that it’s open source: “So, if you want to use one of the files you find here, you’d better ask the person who made the file.”
Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/faq/faq-gen.shtml#1

2 Likes

I like Musescore, it has a big selection, songs are clearly marked with what license they use, you can edit the score if you want, or just download the midi. And it’s easy to contact the creator if needed.

So, from what I understand, (except Agro’s) there are no open source MIDIs made for FE?

There are plenty of open source MIDIs. The most you have to do for FE is change the instruments around a bit, and you can easily do that in Anvil/whatever midi editor, or even in Notepad once it’s converted to .s format.

Oh okay, I just have to learn a bit of MIDI-making then.

Well… Crap, missed that one :confused:.