Nothing Yet

Hello everyone, I’ve been spriting for quite a while now, and If I say so myself,
I suppose that I am a decent spriter. So the point of this thread is to explain how
to improve your spriting skills and more specifically, considering splicing.

What is a splice? :

A splice, is a method of spriting, basically a “mixture” of sprites that is mostly aimed
/and used by starters but there are also “pro” levels of it.

Levels of splicing:

A splice can be “poor”, “medium” and “pro”
From ‘this’:(@serif made this) to ‘this’: (a quick edit of mine)
From ‘this’: To ‘this’: (a edit of Wendy for my hack, she’s a reqruit)
From ‘this’:(a portrait from the muggin blitz) to ‘this’:(a quick edit of mine as well)
From ‘this’: to ‘this’:
Common mistakes :

When splicing, you should be aware of the fact that, no matter how much you splice
you will have to deal with the shading, or small areas that might seem, awkward.
So try avoiding -pillowshading, and awkward spots.
Avoid pillowshading tutorial: http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

As I said before, I considered a splice being a mixture of sprites.
Although to my mind, that is not sometimes the case, a splice can also be a single sprite(when saying single sprite I mean single, splice sprite, don’t get mad at me, I suppose I wasn’t clear enough, sorry.)
just moved around, like so :

How to splice :

Now, I will be showing the process of how to splice, and improve your splicing and generally spriting skills.
What most people do, is combine two or three sprites. Although it’d be better to use only 2 for a start.

Step 1: Make all of the sprites that you are gonna use, have the same skin tone, so you won’t have to deal with annoying diverse skin shades that are gonna be hard to see for you to be able to make the sprite insertable.
Example :

Step 2: Splice your sprites.
Example :

Step 3: As I noted before, you can (and mostly should) move things around more the splice to look better.
Example :

Step 4: Taking into account the above, you may suppose the sprite being messy and not looking so fine, although if you clean it up and repeat those 2 steps, it will end up looking great
So step four : clean up messy shading/parts.

Finally: The finished product (Sorry I didn’t have enough time to make the whole sprite but I made the head.)(I have showed you previous examples so I suppose you get my point)

That’s all, I hope my advice was helpfull.

(I can tell that you are all mad at me due to the fact of me not having splices here. and you are right. The reason is that I really don’t have enough time and so I just threw a bundle of portraits to give you the image of how your splice can develop, sorry once again. Will be making splices sometime, I swear.)

6 Likes

People are ever so quick to earn themselves the title.

5 Likes

The better I get the worse I think I am

Apologies for derailing here, but I feel the need to show you this.

3 Likes

Makes sense.

Why not go into detail about proper shading? FE6 FE7 and FE8 having different shading styles and “cleaning up messy shading/parts” is very vague and isn’t helpful.

Also show real examples of advanced splicing.

2 Likes

[quote=“WhydidImakethisaccount, post:1, topic:4070”]
[/quote]
This is the only splice here.

-Editing is not splicing
-Resizing and tracing is not splicing.
-Shoving parts around is not splicing.

Splicing, explicitly, is the act of taking multiple items and fusing them into one. Or multiple components from one item, etc.

join or connect (a rope or ropes) by interweaving the strands.
a union of two ropes, pieces of timber, or similar materials spliced together at the ends.

We, naturally, modify this to be referring to instead “sprites” as opposed to “materials”.

As a tutorial: There’s no explaining here. This is just definitions.
Your choice of components for your splice are invisible (you spliced a jaw into the middle of a jaw). It is difficult to see and doesn’t explain- And then you edit components that have nothing to do with the part?

Toa has a splicing tutorial with a lot of listing on how the thoughts of it should come into play and graduated levels for people to follow along with:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/2jag7e/toaomrs_splicing_tutorial/

5 Likes

I pretty much second what you said here wan. I was going to make a reply about how most of the sprites shown weren’t really splices. I’d say this isn’t really a tutorial, but rather a few tips for improving your splicing.

3 Likes

Your ego appears to have outstripped your skill. Not only is your guide completely unhelpful to anyone, it doesn’t even have a finished product to go along with it, nor even instructions on how to get there.

The implication that your splices are “pro” is the most hubristic thing I’ve read on this forum, not to even mention that most of the “splices” you’ve created aren’t splices, they’re just edits. Edits that I should note aren’t even as good as the original in the case of Lukas.

I would recommend getting more practice, and a little perspective before bragging with a useless tutorial.

3 Likes

I didn’t ever consider my sprites being “pro”, did I? I just mentioned and explained that there are also such levels of it. Don’t make me look bad by something you claim, that isn’t even true.

(Also, off-topic but I should point out the following: I accept critique, I don’t mind it. although when you refer it in such a way, you depress the other person. In addition to this, you should also respect how much time was put into this despite little free time, I really don’t have enough time to make splices. and I think I already explained why. Lastly, this is a community, supposedly a hobby, please don’t stress me out any longer, I’ve had enough. You could tell me where I was going wrong, I really don’t mind that.)

1 Like

I’m in agreement with the posts stating that this tutorial doesn’t seem to explain how one would actually go about creating a splice. A step-by-step to reaching a completed project would be appreciated, if not strictly necessary. This seems more like a brief explanation of how you approach splicing than a tutorial.

As such, I’d consider the post, as it is, to be an incomplete draft. I’m going to move this from the tutorials category until it’s completed (I’d move it to Drafts, but there are some weird permissions issues with that).

If you don’t have time to sprite enough and make a quality tutorial then why bother post this in the first place? The title is very misleading as well.

Should probably rename this to spriting tutorial and re do it.

How about Sprite Editing Tutorial?

Doesn’t make much sense if I am being honest. You edit how you like and there really isn’t a method of editing a sprite. To vague for a tutorial-

I didn’t say it would be a spriting editing tutorial, someone else noted that. also, I didn’t say I would do it in the first place.

If you couldn’t tell I was talking to the person who suggested it, or you

Son of a bitch! I’ve been trying to find this image for ages! Ahhhh!!

1 Like