FE Fates Discussion Topic

Oh yeah they did that awhile ago lol

http://i.imgur.com/DRashNw.png

“CENSORSHIP!”

I hope that they boycott the Corrin DLC in Smash, too.

The split versions are one of the reasons I really started to sour on this game, honestly. When they’d originally announced the game, they characterized it as a game defined by “choice” instead of “a choice between two different versions” (i.e. Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons). Then the plot details came out, and we realized that neither Conquest or Birthright was actually canonical! Literally, they’re selling the game based on the choice between versions as though it’s the most important aspect of the game: and they’ve gone out of their way to undermine the significance of that choice at virtually every turn. The given plot reasons for choosing Nohr was advertised as an “internal political struggle” when you actually end up basically winning the war against Hoshido for them as part of some hair-brained master plan to reveal the villain’s true intention (when really, you’ve just done their dirty work for 'em). Revelations, the “3rd route” that was reserved for a DLC release, is the actual canonical storyline - nevermind that the entire premise for this route is completely and utterly nonsensical.

This game is a total cash grab by Intelligent Systems. The marketing was deceptive. “Pet-a-waifu” was blatant pandering to a niche, yet very vocal, audience. Some people have been actively cheering the “split versions” decision, expressing gratitude under the impression that they’re getting more content than they would have in a singular release. How gullible can people be? You’re buying something that was advertised as a joint experience, but are literally paying for two games (plus DLC fees if you want to play the actual story).

4 Likes

And yet I still shelled out a shitload of money for the SE and the 3DS

I think I read somewhere (reddit probably) that this person thought they did the split versions because if they didn’t they’d have to meet that level of game for the next release (which I’m taking as one game with a bunch of routes/chapters).

But is that really a bad thing? It seems like that guy is/was being an IS apologist. What’s wrong with expecting that much content from IS in one game? They’re clearly able to put forth that much effort for 3 “different” games.

Though I’m not sure where the blame falls for the split version cash grab, the IS execs? NoJ?

Honestly I hope they learn from this and FE15 ends up being something incredible (if we get an FE15), though the recent trend with Awakening and now Fates makes it seem like the opposite, especially now that DLC is most certainly always going to be a thing now.

I feel like I’m in the minority when I say I felt the whole petting feature was a little weird when I first heard about it last year. Now that they took out the feature, I’m thinking it’s probably a cultural thing between the east and west.

1 Like

Trust me, absolutely trust me, that in no matter how vocal they may seem the people who are whining about “censorship” aren’t the majority, at all.

3 Likes

This is pretty old, it was made when the stuff was first ripped from the Japanese game.

And the people whining that it’s creepy are an even smaller fraction.

im looking forward to the day where everyone realizes that none of their decisions on what game to play actually matter

1 Like

I look forward to the day where people will stop bitching when a company decides or are told to change or remove aspects of their piece of entertainment to make it appropriate for their intended audience/demographic and also make it more in-line with the society’s acceptance of morals and standards, adjusting fairly for cultural differences.

The gaming industry specifically has a lot more to deal with, because the industry as a whole is still assumed to be for children, especially by many parents, so when they see something that they wouldn’t deem appropriate for their kid or for young children they want it removed entirely, because it doesn’t enter into their minds that it’s for adults.

Doesn’t help that most game stores unless wholly dedicated probably won’t stock mature titles unless it’s a top-seller and an R-18 rating is a death-sentence for any game in any physical manner, at least from what I’ve seen.

Also, 3DS+Nintendo+Anime/Cartoon Aesthetic = People looking at it as a kid’s game, so objectively some people are going to look at it with that perspective, and when you consider that sometimes what they say doesn’t seem crazy, just misguided and potentially misinformed. Good luck trying to explain that though, 'cause fuck, this is the internet, where everyone’s just jerking it at each other.

2 Likes

I look forward to the day where people can create what they want, and ship it out anywhere in the world, and know that it’ll arrive there unchanged. I look forward to the day where people don’t demand that something gets removed, just because they find it offensive. I look forward to the day where content creators don’t cave to people who are outside their demographic.

I’m just looking forward to the day I can play more Fire Emblem. AU release date when

3 Likes

Wait, you’re Aussie as well?

2 Likes

just spend a stupid amount of money to import the game and put the homebrew stuff on your 3ds

No one is saying you can’t do that; but as the series has progressed it has become less and less “fire emblem-like”. I’d say from… FE11 onward. FE11/12 arguably due to being remakes of FE1/3 though (there isn’t a reason they couldn’t have built off of the existing formula IE supports, interesting dialogue, not having Marth need to visit every single village, splitting up the magic triangle, making the weapon triangle relevant, making terrain relevant-- ok I’ll stop for now). I can’t take the series seriously anymore; it feels like I’m playing a different game that happens to be named the same name.

tl; dr version:
In my opinion, let the FE series end on a high note and let IS make a different game with all of these crazy elements

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s a particularly good direction for the series (It’s not), I’m saying that it was done that that way, and no one should be trying to change that for another audience.

but what if they add the face rubbing back in for us

spend more money on your version just to pet your waifus/husbandos

Region locking is dumb anyway, Nintendo pls follow Sony’s example with the PS4 and do away with it

2 Likes

This is how I feel as well, granted, I also feel like I’m biased towards this because I started out playing Fire Emblem in the early 2000’s. It just sucks that companies have to do whatever pays the bills. This is the harsh reality of life. But I’m glad we can make our own hacks now lol. We can make whatever we think Fire Emblem should be in our eyes.

IS just needs to release an FE maker to rival mario maker

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, though I am not going to buy a US version.

Even if you dislike the minigame yourself, you will lose the right to decide whether to play it or not. Nintendo made the decision for you. It is supposed to be players’ right to make the choice instead of IS’s.

One of those here.