Investigation of unknown instrument

FEBuilderGBA has a function called SongData FingerPrint.
This is a function to take an md5 hash on instrument data and assign a name to the instrument.
In the past survey, there are several instruments already known by NIMAP and others.

Songs which have already been found are written as config/data/song_instrument_ALL*.txt as correspondence table with midi instruments.

However, there are instruments that have not yet been found out.
It is the part which is DirectSound.

For example, I am watching an instrument of the song of the main theme (SongID:0x02) of FE8U.
From the song table, select the main theme and click Jump to Instrument Table.

A list of instruments used for the main theme song is displayed.
In FE, musical instrument data which is not used is filled with dummy data.

As You scrolled downward, there were instruments.
It is 0x21 number instrument. This instrument is named Electric Bass (finger).
This is a known instrument.

Looking at config/data/song_instrument_ALL_en.txt, it says as follows.
33 Electric Bass (finger) 169dc8763a2b46da5e5140026cb6f8d4

This file is tab delimited TSV format. It has the following format.
midi instrument number(decimal number)[TAB]instrument name[TAB]SongDataFingerPrint

As a result, you can see that this 0x21st instrument data is Electric Bass (finger) of midi instrument number 33 (0x21).

Well, let’s scroll the instrument of the main theme a little further down.

Number 0x2F is Timpani.
And the problem is 0x30, 0x31, 0x32, 0x34 instruments.
These names are DirectSound.
This is because the name of the instrument is not known yet, it is becoming the type name of the instrument data of GBA.
I think that there are musical instruments that we have not discovered yet in musical instrument data that is not known yet.

Let’s take a look at 0x30 instruments.
DirectSound plays the sound by modulating Wav data.
By pressing the Export Sound Data button you can retrieve wave data that is the primary color of this instrument.
Since it is a wave file, it can be played by music player.

I am not familiar with music, so I do not know which instruments this sound belongs to.
Would you please tell me who is familiar with music, what instrument this instrument is called?

When you know the name of the instrument, please tell me the instrument’s midi number [TAB] instrument name [TAB] SongDataFingerPrint.
Cooperation of those familiar with music is necessary.

If you know the name of the instruments for other instruments that are also DirectSound, please tell me SongDataFingerPrint and instrument name.

Since SongDataFingerPrint uses data other than pointers for md5 hash calculation, it is valid for all GBA games beyond the FE series.

Looking at SongDataFingerPrint, when the version of FE is different, the instruments used often change.
The same instrument may be used, but another instrument may be added.
For the localized version, the same instrument data is used.
Also, in FE8, musical instruments specific to that song are often allocated to instruments 0x40 - 0x50.
Also, there are many unknown instruments in the drum set that we do not understand at all.
(A drum set is itself a pointer to a new instrument set.)

Most songs have unique instrument groups. There may not be a corresponding MIDI number and I would say it is inaccurate to assign one to a midi number anyway. FE7, for instance, has at least 5 different string samples, none of which really match any of the General MIDI sounds.

The best solution is to ignore general MIDI instruments altogether and use a custom set of instruments, and teach people how to use those instruments effectively.

Most songs have unique instrument groups. There may not be a corresponding MIDI number and I would say it is inaccurate to assign one to a midi number anyway. FE7, for instance, has at least 5 different string samples, none of which really match any of the General MIDI sounds.

I see.
SongDataFingerPrint, midi number is not mandatory.
It is the ultimate purpose to assign names corresponding to instruments.
If there is no corresponding midi number, the midi number can be left blank.

SongDataFingerPrint works with only instrument names, even if the midi number is blank.

Are there any documents on the five special strings samples?
I would like to write in the data that SongDataFingerPrint of those instruments is a special strings.

I haven’t made any docs. Could you post the WAVs here? I will do my best to give you any notes I can.

I compiled the unknown instruments of FE 8.
It took a while because there were lots of instruments.
I want to know the name of what instrument these are.